Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hempuli posted:

https://i.imgur.com/9CCzLNG.mp4
This was posted in the previous thread and stuck with me

I hate this man very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's fine enough, but she definitely has extremely chaotic energy. It's only a matter of time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'll post a few pics from this:

which is the second most gallic book I've ever read after this:

a lot of this stuff is just mildly odd, or the photo makes it look off, or both, viz:

Honestly that sounds really loving good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Literally lol'd

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

cheese and beet torture

:golfclap:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Data Graham posted:

In America 100 years is a long time, in Europe 10 ingredients is a large cuisine

lol

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Bloop posted:

This blanket statement makes me thinks he butters the bread in a PBJ or tuna salad sandwich and lol

Buttering the bread in a PB&J is cool and good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

At least now we're clear it's a character.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This looks like it would hold mad cream sauce tho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving lol at easily piercing a banana with a fork.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's more of a tomato compote.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

So because food waste exists at some other points of the chain, wasting food at home is unimportant? This is a pretty poo poo take, especially given that evidently these idiots are encouraging other idiots to do the same thing, exacerbating what is already a huge problem with domestic food waste.

A focus on moralistic hectoring around personal responsibility obscures the structural roots of wastefulness in the food system. Because changing everyone's individual behaviors is an impossible task, this perspective takes people that recognize that food waste is a problem and imbues them with a depressive nihilism, or it leads them to quixotic non-solutions like community gardens or whatever. This redounds to the benefit of ag profiteers, who are actually super susceptible to policy changes and would prefer everyone just get mad at dumb food videos.

It's like how the "crying Indian" anti-littering ad was created by the soft drink industry as a way to deflect responsibility for using disposable containers at a moment when lots of people still held them responsible for the move away from reusable containers. Litter, like food waste, is overwhelmingly an issue of manufacturing and supply chains, not the lack of good moral fiber on the part of individual members of society.

Kenning has a new favorite as of 18:49 on May 11, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Rick Lax
Richard Lax
Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka
Rich Lowtax
Lowtax

:thunk:

:eyepop:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Eh, would.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've had the choucroute juice. It's, well, call it dill pickle juice. Can't throw shade on enjoying it but not something I'd walk around sipping in public.

Now a proper choucroute garnie alsacienne is kinda AFP but it's exactly what the stereotypical goon enjoys:

mmm, a mix of pickled vegetables and a too-large-by-far serving of cured mystery meats (it's good)

I would annihilate everything in these pictures.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't loving believe that she put her "secret recipe" on her tombstone and one of the units of measurement on it is a "square".

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Baking chocolate is sold in perforated bars that break up into chunks. That's why young me thought he found a candy bar in my mom's baking cupboard. Baking chocolate is very bitter on its own.

The point is that it's a non-standardized unit that can only remain valid as long as the baking chocolate continues to be produced to exactly the same spec, and she had it literally carved into stone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

each Baker's chocolate square is an ounce by weight and they're individually wrapped. it's the standard unsweetened baking chocolate in the US, one of those things that'll be familiar to anybody who bakes. you're not wrong about it being a better idea to include a more standard measurement, but the company has apparently been around for 250 years. it's not entirely different from saying "a stick of butter" rather than "4 ounces of butter".

Hershey's powder: my grandmother used to make cocoa from scratch, and it's something I do for my kids now. the recipe on the side of the box works, but I usually halve the sugar. the secret to getting it smoothly integrated into anything is to dissolve it in a little boiling water first.

I also tried to eat both of these things when I was a kid. I do not recommend it.

This is pretty cool info, thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You eat the head because face meat is delicious OP.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Would right now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's really funny watching Maangchi on Youtube because a lot of the dishes she does are recipes she learned from her grandmother and they're all pretty normal and balanced and traditional. Every now and then she does modern Korean street food or whatever and out comes the cheese and the white sugar and the condensed milk.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I know all of the saber rattling is over Ukraine right now but I think the US should probably just invade Brazil. They must be stopped.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

a cyborg mug posted:

I just hope they actually cooked and ate the drat chicken afterwards. These stupid fuckers wasting perfectly good food for internet clicks is something that infuriates me to a perhaps unreasonable degree

edit: Like that hosed up toilet ice cream thing from a while back, you just know absolutely none of it was ever actually eaten

There is no amount of internet clickbait fake food waste that could possibly rival the waste generated by a moderately-sized restaurant on a single holiday weekend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It actually super does, because the food waste in a restaurant is a byproduct of providing an entertainment product (that happens to be consumable), in the same way that the viral videos do. Neither needs to exist, but both do exist in part because of the economic incentives involved in producing, distributing, and disposing of food.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

People have a visceral reaction to food waste in clickbait videos because an appropriate use for food is one of the loci of personal righteousness in the alienated condition of capitalist social relations. The discourse about making healthy food choices, minimizing waste, and buying "virtuous" food types (organic, artisanal, farm-to-table, local, whatever) is part of a thoroughgoing process to individualize the structural economic systems that produce a) food waste and b) hunger. The rank disregard for personal food morality on display in the clickbait videos produces a righteous sense of personal superiority, which drives clicks. That's why they call it bait. Like all systems of personality morality, hidden violations of morality (i.e. food waste in restaurants or farmers plowing under crops when prices drop) are tolerated, it's the public flouting of virtuous standards that gets condemned.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

BigHead posted:

I just wanted to chime in and say that up here in Alaska this last summer a whale beached itself and died not too far from Anchorage. People were showing up with buckets to take whale steaks home. Whale is really good, like eating fish oil. Yum.

As I recall it was hot as balls in Alaska this last summer. I hope those people got to the steaks quickly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My best friend is Syrian and he and his brother loving annihilate ayran and I roast them about it constantly. It would be much cooler of me to also think it was good, but it's not. It sucks rear end.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Eh, would.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would 100% eat a stargazy pie, sardines are delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A donut shop called "Happy" or "Lucky" or "Sunshine" is good. That's the tell.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cake donuts are trash, yeast donuts are the master donut.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He's probably a smoker and can't taste anything. Super common with line cooks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I want to try one so bad. I've seen people eat them on various survival shows and they all describe it as the most perfect coconut experience.

It looks like eating a memory foam pillow made out of young coconut, and as someone who fights the urge to eat my PLAIN flavored memory foam pillow, I'm here for it.

But I don't think I could find one even for $30 here in New England.

V V V Right? I also really want to try red dragonfruit...stores near me have the white variety and it's just flavorless, the red one actually looks like it tastes good. V V V

There are loads of incredible tropical fruits that don't travel well, but dragon fruit of any variety is not among them. Lust after cherimoya instead!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I tried a cherimoya once a few years ago, and I think must have been a combination of being in Ohio and that it must have been out of season, but it seemed like an expensive pear to me. I was disappointed, but I’m not going use my experience to say they are bad!

Honestly, "expensive pear" isn't too far off, although a perfectly ripe cherimoya has a custardy delicacy that is pretty special. That said, I've tried to carry them home like a middle school egg baby from the specialty market before and ended up with a gross bruised mush that was no good plenty of times, so it might not be something that is reasonable to eat if you live more than 20 yards from the tree. Alas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly that's far from the worst recipe I've ever seen. I'd have a nibble, anyway.

von Braun posted:

this is a culinary historian and archivist and gourmands hangover tip

https://youtu.be/qkdYC8L4Fn0

micro cheese and take all the leftover shots from previous nights party. he did this as a student

This is a brutal struggle meal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Done.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maybe that's where that rash of food derails across PYF came from.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

gschmidl posted:

Eternally reminded of the lady who wanted to buy century eggs at the local Chinese store and the proprietor just laughed and said "nobody eats that stuff."

Century eggs are loving delicious and way milder than they look. They're basically like really creamy hard boiled eggs with an extra earthy richness that's somewhat analogous to a medium-aged soft-ripened cheese like Camembert.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

"Bee Skullz" is pretty loving funny, as are Hur and Fur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A lot of modern European identities were consolidated during the 18th and 19th centuries when a bunch of elites looked around and decided which group of peasants were the best mascots for their political ambitions. The idea of "Italy" is ridiculous.