Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

fizzymercy posted:

Between the two of these I think I really have to try it now. It's starting to sound not too different from my Mema's preserved catfish, which wasn't great because it's home canned catfish in an oyster broth. But you put some vinegar and salt on it and it's food. Definitely a food.

I think we’ve cracked the case of why the mercury sample seemed appetizing to child-you :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

holy hell I love this one :kimchi:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like terrible nachos with potato sticks from a can on top. And either cotija or farofa sprinkled on top.

Edit to add: pretty sure it’s nachos at a cheap restaurant or bar in Brazil.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Feb 16, 2021

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

What did they mean by “wheat” there? Wheat berries?

Not that it would make a difference, really.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

it was brazil of course :nono:

it’s almost always Brazil lately

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Beaver butt gland juice is too expensive, your artificial vanilla is either synthesized out of oil and coal tar or it comes from tonka beans.

You can get bourbon with it. Or Swedish hunting schnapps.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenTaylorson/status/1364560883012276226

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

God I always wanted to eat sugar based fake cum on my ice cream.

Fluff is good on ice cream, though. Not as good as real marshmallow sauce, but good.

Also, talk with your urologist. :ohdear:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bloom posted:

"A jellied veal timbale, garnished with thin boiled tongue slices, thin fresh green cucumber strips, asparagus and shredded decorative jelly. A decorative guest food that is perhaps high effort to make, but not only can but also must be made during the previous day. Serve with it some fresh green salad and for example pickled cucumbers, more asparagus and maybe small green beans"

I'm not sure about "timbale" but otherwise I'll say that translation is as weirdly worded as the original writing.

“Timbale” is okay, though it’s more usually used in English for cooked food made in a timbale pan rather than chilled aspics made in the pan.

Everything about this makes me want to weep.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

My husband would easily eat half of that watermelon at one sitting, though. He eats ridiculous amounts of watermelon.

LifeSunDeath posted:

That slice of cheese cake is not 1000 calories by a long shot. It might be closer to 400.

Yes, they took the calorie count of an enormous Cheesecake Factory cheesecake slice and tried to hang it on a normal restaurant cheesecake slice. :(

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Smoked watermelon looks delicious because it looks a whole lot like meat, but it doesn't taste how it looks.

Greatest review of the stupid “watermelon ham”.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Barbecued seitan is good and I wish I could eat it.

Barbecued tempeh is not good :(

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Black bean burgers rule.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hot clam broth is actually pretty delicious, though hot lobster broth is the mvp in that arena.

I kind of want to go to the hot chocolate/broth/tea bar just to see. So many mustaches, I would think.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

What if I told you that Soylent Green is people?

I’d have to know which people before I made up my mind :thunkher:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

All I’m going to say about international portion sizes is that restaurants exist in Argentina and holy hell do they give you a ton of food. Yes, I would like half a cow with a bathtub of gnocchi as a side, why not?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

The farmers markets are just piled with em in early fall and I will eat myself silly once every year and not want to see another leaf husk again. Around here they're known as ground cherries.

They are extremely good, but you can actually take the leaves off to serve them without losing any flavor/longevity. Which I would do if I were a restaurant!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Anyone from the country that invented mushy corn

Interested to know what you’re describing with this. Cornmeal mush/grits (which is basically polenta) or creamed corn?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was just using the same adjective from mushy peas to draw a comparison between the different foodstuffs to show how grits or creamed corn could also very easily be seen as unappetising if you just focused on the fact they're a vaguely liquefied vegetable

Okay, but mushy peas are literally called “mushy peas” so I’m not sure the thought experiment was ideal?

I don’t like mint in peas of any kind, so that’s the source of my lack of interest in mushy peas rather than the texture :shrug:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

gleebster posted:

Giarndice Vs Giarndice

Jaundice v. Jaundice

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I really like the ruby chocolate I’ve had. But it’s a relatively mild flavor compared to the strong dark single-estate chocolates that win awards.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tom’s of Maine Cinnamon and Clove adult toothpaste is excellent, but the real :discourse: is their Wild Blueberry toothpaste for kids.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah, I just go with a fluoride based one that just tastes vaguely chemically, which I'll take over mint tbh.

Tom’s of Maine will set you up. The Wild Blueberry has fluoride.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dave’s Killer Bread was a good supermarket bread for sandwiches back when I could still eat regular bread.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

We have sausages with casings in the US, though?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Also Rhode Island and the parts of Massachusetts adjacent to it. It’s good, it’s just not exactly pizza (it’s “pizza strips” or “bakery pizza” or “red strips”).

https://colvittospizza.com/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Matjessalat: the sandwich so nice they showed it twice

(would always eat herring salad, but on a nice dark bread instead of a puffy white roll)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

I have never been more certain of placing a name to a face than I am of that being called "Texas Style Nachos"

“Irish Nachos” because it has potato chips and not tortilla chips. Probably trying for something like this.

:itwaspoo:

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 23:01 on May 6, 2021

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

angerbeet posted:

Also too little to pay for caviar?

Black lumpfish roe is super delicious, but also really cheap because lumpfish are far more abundant than sturgeon, which is who the fancy caviar comes from. You can find it better and cheaper than the Romanoff brand from various online gourmet stores if you don’t have a local imported foods shop.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm just a yankee doodle, I'll call anything macaroni.

How did we even win that war? “The British forces are massed about three macaroni away, behind the big macaroni. Hit them with the macaroni.”

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

scrape the black stuff up front off and that looks delicious.

I will take all your black pudding and you can have my baked beans.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think they added feta for £1.75. That’s the only thing on the menu that would look like that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

All raw fish in Europe has, by law, been frozen to kill parasites.

Same in the US, but no safety process is 100% done effectively every time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm still extremely jealous of her boiled eggs, I wish I could boil eggs that well.

Looks like she did it in an InstantPot or similar.

The secret to getting an egg like that on the stovetop is to start it in cold water, bring it to a full boil, let it boil for only one minute, then take the pan off the burner, cover the pan, and let it sit untouched for 6-8 minutes. Once you figure out the exact “let it sit untouched” time that applies to your eggs/your pan/your elevation above sea level, you can get them to come out exactly the same 90% of the time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

We laugh at all the terrible old recipes for bananas, but what happened to them? At what point did we decide bananas shouldn't be cooked at all and instead should only be eaten fresh, raw, and no more than 3 days before they turn brown, mushy, and inedible.

A) Different variety of banana, maybe Gros Michel taste good with mayonnaise on them :shrug:
B) Many cuisines have great fried banana recipes and also Bananas Foster rules

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The food here stinks, and such large portions!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

an emergency kit for a pilot might just be some painkillers and a fistful of protein bars.

today I learned I am a pilot

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

That's... ok I'm curious, but... gently caress THEM drat it I'll probably try out of curiosity :smith:

The Lay’s Cappucino potato chips that were a limited edition a couple of years ago seven years ago were surprisingly good. Not as good as the Carnitas Street Taco wavy chips that were a limited edition last year, but good.

This year they have Chile Mango, which I need to try.

I love stunt chips.

Edited because where has the time gone?

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jun 20, 2021

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of tomatoes popping, though; when you have cherry tomatoes cooked into a stew and they burst open and spill their scalding guts into your mouth mmmmm

Roasting cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

What is it (green mass being pounded above)? If it’s taffy, I would eat it forever.