Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

in honor of the new thread i wanna inaugurate a new project to taxonomically categorize all afp

the kingdoms would be like

1. normal foods specific goons don't like (maybe because of childhood trauma, maybe because they just hate vegetables, or eggs, or condiments, or the abstract concept of moisture)
2. normal foods, cooked in a purposely weird/bad way or served on strange plates
3. forrin muck (normal food for 75% of the world that the OP hasn't encountered before or thinks sounds gross)
4. #wifematerial
5. masaokis and friends
6. stunts (kings hand and chocolate alligator)

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

that would be a phylum under 2

2a. too big to cook sensibly
2b. too small to cook sensibly
2c. too wrapped in other foods to cook sensibly

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

i treat my mandoline like a goddamn lightsaber, thing came in the box with this style warning label on a separate sheet on top of everything else and i 100% believe it:

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Feb 18, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nameless Pete posted:

Has anybody tried making re-usable "animal bones" out of oven safe ceramic? I smell a potential market. I found a couple people on Reddit who made vegan ribs using maplewood and clay, but I'm imagining something you can put in the dishwasher. Or like a whole chicken skeleton or something. Most of the purchases would probably be made by passive aggressive family members, though.

I eat vegetarian a lot, but it's mostly driven by my unwillingness to wash an additional cutting board.

the standard restaurant prep here these days is pieces of sugarcane for vegan drumsticks and ribs and such, it works really well

and a hearty perpetual lmao at all the weirdos who still have a 90s afterschool special outlook on veganism as some impossibly weird thing about which they need to be Very Concerned lest they wake up one morning and find their precious hogfat jar spirited away in the night and replaced with the Devil's Toejam (what they call tofu when they're extra mad at vegans)

have a boca burger and chill lol

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

egg on pizza is a solid choice but my preferred method would be cracking them onto the pie like halfway thru an 8-minute high heat bake :hmmyes:

deviled egg crust does honestly sound way more appealing to me than any of:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Code Jockey posted:

I feel like black bean burgers are an exception to the "vegan / vegetarian food that imitates meat-based dishes almost always sucks" rule. Man, a well made black bean burger patty is so good. It's not the same as a meat burger, but it's just so good as its own thing.

Also seconding the portobello burger idea above. So, so good.

:sigh: this isn't a rule. even leaving aside the way that most non-vegetarians are seemingly relying on 15 year old dusty memories or believe that the one time they idly decided to try cooking an impossible burger they managed to nail the perfected platonic ideal to judge all plantburgs by, field roast, morningstar farms, boca burger, etc. are all well-developed, tasty products that millions enjoy regularly. they literally would not occupy nearly the shelf space they do if they sucked. say all you want about how they compare relative to real cut up pig or whatever, but it's absolutely ridiculous to pretend like it's not good—indulgent!—food. there is no vast vegan conspiracy artificially inflating the demand for it.

and all that totally loving aside, modern industrialized western frozen stuff is not the be-all end-all of vegetarian dishes made to resemble meat—some southeast asian buddhist cuisines, for one, have been on top of that poo poo for hundreds of years. there are some tradeoffs and compromises, naturally (most of it has the fast-food quality of becoming unappetizing incredibly quickly as it gets cold) but i know where to get entirely plant-based chicken satay that's literally better than the real thing, for instance

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Mar 6, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

by comparison, we can point to a meat-replacer that actually does "suck"—TVP. you do not see a big industry marketing TVP products, TVP snacks, pre-seasoned TVP. you *definitely* can make delicious food with TVP, but it's pretty gross to work with, demands patience and iteration, and is still... hm, a cultivated taste, i would say, in a way that tofu and seitan are not. You can probably find it in any grocery store that carries enough of the Bob's Red Mill back catalogue but even though it's cheap as absolute dirt all of the aforementioned factors mean that significant quantities of TVP-based product is not flying off the shelves, and no matter what the margins are there is no demand for a wide variety of products and flavors

(ironically though it's one carnivores have likely eaten a lot of b/c it's originally/mainly intended as a cheap filler and extender for ground beef—if you ate the meat-based school lunches, you probably had quite a bit of it)

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

augias posted:

... Difficult? You soak i hot water with some soy sauce for a few minutes the treat it like ground beef.

This syuff is a main staple for vegetarians in my home country. Really ubiquitous in grocery stores and markets. Interesting to read the u.s. take.

oh yeah, that's the US. like, making paneer or queso fresco is something millions of humans do daily that is also pretty 'simple' but in america most people on the street wouldn't know that making cheese is even possible in a home kitchen, let alone that it's literally just hot milk with some acid in it

like i said, TVP is widely available, but it's not marketed, even the way some other 'boring' grains and staple products are, which indicates to me that the only people buying it (from a market analyst perspective) are weird nerds who probably already have a good idea of how they're going to use it and wouldn't go for convenience products like pre-marinated TVP you're supposed to just slop in a pan and heat up, while vegetarianism in general is now mainstream enough to encompass lots of people who aren't interested in learning how to cook, and there is a whole galaxy of products designed to fill that niche on store shelves

It is definitely interesting to track how vegetarianism has changed in both cultural and practical terms over time though—one of my favorite cookbooks is a first-edition Moosewood cookbook which is fascinating as a snapshot of pre-tofu American vegetarianism—lots of bulgur, Mediterranean food, a Welsh rarebit recipe.

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 6, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

no, place the shaped meatballs on top of the pasta-tomato-spices mixture and then heat

the pasta is being cooked in its sauce for 45 minutes tho which is not how we would typically do it today

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

why would you assume it's nasty? it's just substituting a different cooking fat, like how you can sub in 65g of blood for an egg in most baking applications

really i guess what im asking is Make your own Mayo Challenge 2: elise the great tribute edition when

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

the depiction of food in star wars is so weird and very thread-appropriate, it's interesting how appetite is almost universally shown as a negative trait and feasts have ominous tones--jabba's gross barge buffet, the betrayal on cloud city, anakin and padme's lovely dates. eating well just isn't a part of the star wars fantasy the way it is with, like, lord of the rings or harry potter

and of course speaking of school food there's the amazing shot of the cafeteria full of clones eating from empty trays

also apparently chewbacca will just straight up eat carrion and everybody's cool with it

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

gschmidl posted:

Occam's razor on a british breakfast containing halloumi or bad toast seems really obvious.

so halloumi, "britain's best-loved import," which they eat so much of it's causing a shortage?

much like ibiza, nando's, and chicken tikka, halloumi may sound foreign but is at this point as inextricable a part of the british experience as eels in gelatin

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

e: of course it was the snipe :sigh:

https://www.instagram.com/obviousplant/

new page, new pizza:

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Jun 3, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Brawnfire posted:

a thick crustacean pizza

said in the exact same register as 'a succulent chinese meal'

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm so sorry for the way they make onion rings wherever you are. Stay strong, friend. Try a nice garlic dip or a hearty serving of ketchup and white vinegar.

e: I'm about to make kraft mac n cheese/kd for dinner and add a ton of ketchup and vinegar. I did it originally as a joke, because I was newly in Canada and "KD with ketchup" was a popular joke. But holy, it actually rules. I will post pics.

don't forget the peas (and/or tapeworm food)

what the gently caress they're real

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

uber_stoat posted:

they're just nugs with a hole in 'em.

i mean.... i'm assuming that the real reason for the hole is because the homogenized chicken goop gets shaped and/or partially cooked around a metal rod before being extruded and sliced off into the fryer, right?

now someone do the needful and make a chicken, peach ring, and donette salad

https://emilykylenutrition.com/rainbow-chicken-quinoa-salad/ posted:

Taste the rainbow with this vibrant, high-protein, cannabis rainbow chicken salad made with delicious fresh fruit for a hearty entree-style meal that is naturally gluten-free and finished with a zesty lemon cannabis vinaigrette.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://twitter.com/SenStabenow/status/1404971199675912197

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

spankmeister posted:

A coke isn't a 1000 calories. Are you drinking it by the gallon?

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

a 12 oz can of coke contains 140,000 calories. you may be thinking of Calories, the typical unit of measure on nutrition labels, which are equal to 1000 calories each

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

they made me suffer through calorimetry and stoich in high school and now you suffer tooooooooooooo

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

gschmidl posted:

Should have taught you it's kcal, or kilocalories, which means "1000 calories" :v:

ah but that would make for embarrassingly large numbers on the packaging. "100,000 calorie pack" just doesnt have the same ring

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tunicate posted:

raising 1 kg of water in temperature across its entire liquid phase is a nice round 100 kcal

One. One kcal raises 1 kg of water 1 degree c. Food has a lot of energy in it, turns out. A gram of butter has about 30 kJ; a gram of TNT has __4__

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 1, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

oooh, gotcha :downs:

related:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Mymla posted:

Look, I'm sure the kebab is fine, but I don't think you're allowed to call it "handmade".

? that machine isn't folding wraps; some dude shows up in a van from a shadow kitchen twice a day and stocks it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

if you pursue the same course of study as the previous secretary of energy (for non-US goons, this is the person in charge of all nuclear weapons as well as idk maybe some other stuff no one cares about) then one of the keystone days of your education is SPAM Day, when you get to taste all the SPAMs