Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Apparently it's "Employee Appreciation Day" today, so we had a pizza party/contest with prizes for "best" and "worst"

so i created a monster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't know what exactly I'm looking at but I'd eat a few.
4 cheese pizza covered in bagel bites, eggs (cracked in near the end but a little early obviously), irish cheddar, and velveeta

It's delicious, if dry.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Probably, but the winners haven't been decided yet.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Can oven fries not be reverse seared?

Like slow cook'em in the oven then sear the outside on a ripping hot skillet or a quick hot deep fry?

sous vide your oven fries then subject them to ~500F/260C in a little or a lot of fat for a bit to get them crunchy

FFT has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Mar 6, 2021

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

You've got to break the eggs into a bowl so you can mix the white and yolk together. Otherwise you end up with flavourless, rubbery bits of white and dry, suffocating lumps of yolk ruining your pizza.
Incorrect.

I misjudged the baking time and put them on too early. There was a point that they were perfectly sunny-side-up, but I still had cheese to add on top.

also i wanted it to be very clear that there were eggs involved

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Underwater Shoe posted:

I recently found the secret to awesome oven fries. After cutting them soak them in cold water for 30 mins, then drain and let them dry out in the fridge or on the side for at least an hour. Then toss them in oil and do your usual oven fry thing. They come out crispy and perfect
The last time I made fries was basically that process but with the McDonald's method:

blanched in a salt and sugar brine

Then I fried them and the result was fantastic.

FFT has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Mar 6, 2021

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Huh. Just watched this a couple of hours ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGDT0LYJmxc

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I was just told that some people fry up their grilled cheese sandwiches with mayo instead of butter

I would just like to ask, what the gently caress???
Eh, it works, and mayo is easy to spread right out of the fridge

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Literally yes, if you can't eat eggs then blood is probably one of the best functional substitutes.
how do i make poached bloods

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah obviously it's possible to make blood dumplings and the claim was blood as an egg substitute in baking specifically

Anyway I can't go into too much detail but I need to figure out how to make bloods sunny-side-up before sunset

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

I think canned corn is the best thing to eat straight out of the can. Not baby corns though. Those are disgusting in any form.
You must be referring to something other than the hilarious and delightful salad bar tiny corn cobs.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

I don't know why i'm so disappointed. It's not like I would have gone out and bought it, but it sounds interesting enough to be a real product. Maybe one day.
Good news! Banana Ketchup is real and good.

-- according to the friend i bought a bottle for as a joke birthday gift who is now on his fourth bottle

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I'm pretty glad they don't call things "phosphates" anymore
There are still old-timey ice cream/soda places that'll do phosphate sodas.

You'd probably have to bring your own clam, though

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Hmm. Depends on the cheese and it'd be better if the bread was toasted but eh, probably would anyway.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Zil posted:

So what exactly makes a burger a "slut"? Is it some weird translation thing or is it a photoshop?
"The name refers to a chef who simply adds an egg to everything to make it better."

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

French fry stir fry casserole

or possibly french fry stir fry aspic, that doesn't actually look like it's been cooked yet but it does look ... disturbingly gelatinous

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Dabir posted:

The name Welsh Rarebit is basically a racist joke, like "lmao the Welsh are so poor and stupid that they can't afford meat so they'll put cheese on toast and call it rabbit"
As a person of Welsh surname, lmao nah

"it's racist to laugh about the Garbage Plate"

"it's racist to deny that Chicago deep dish pizza is pizza"

There are Scotch and English variations on cheese-on-toast from the mid-18th century too that were also called "rabbit"

Even granting the possibility that it was somehow racism against the Welsh when originally named, I guarantee you that in modern parlance calling "luxurious cheese toast" a "Welsh Rarebit" is in no loving way intended as an insult to the Welsh. You want to see an insult to the Welsh? See the post immediately above this.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Also sodium citrate is reasonably widely available now so we could be in a golden age of rarebits if not for the aftermath of Windsor McCay (the American responsible for the Dream of the Rarebit Fiend and Little Nemo comic strips)

can you imagine a feta + gouda + pecorino blend oozing onto some toast before getting broiled? with just enough mustard for contrast? poo poo this is going to gently caress up my dreams later just from the conceptualization

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Was in a meeting the other day where a WelshCymraeg language professor kicked the gently caress off about using the word "Welsh" on official University poo poo. Because of the original derivation of "Welsh" from a Saxon word for "foreigner", you see. A thing that everyone, including English-speaking Welsh people, definitely know, and intend as a slur.
oh yeah for sure, that's definitely not primarily an overreaction to the phrase "welch/welsh on a bet"

Like sure "Cymru" and "the Cymry" are better terms but lmao

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

:colbert:

Given the way the bowl kept dripping after all the dogs were out, the most offensive thing about this could be that the hot dogs were boiled in advance.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Those things are my jam. Take some box mac and cheese, dump some refried beans in, eat with ketchup :yum:
what the gently caress?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

Learned it from a friend of mine who lives in the frozen north, apparently it’s poor people Canadian food. It’s good though. Swap out ketchup for hot sauce if desired

I mean, think about it. People eat tuna mac, people eat hamburger mac, what’s so weird about beany mac?
Hot sauce, fine, but ketchup!?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Makes me wonder - celery is good in chili, so does it follow that prunes would be good in chili too?
Sure, you just skip the brown sugar or whatever sweetener

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, what? People put sugar in chilli?
my dude, have you heard of cooked onions?

Also, yeah, brown sugar is not uncommon. Might be more of a Texas/South Carolina thing?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

pentyne posted:

Or honey. Something about making spicy foods highly improved with a touch of sugar, I don't really know why.
Sugar cuts the burn even faster than fats (e.g. milk)

It's more of a distraction, though, since it only occupies taste receptors rather than binding with the capsaicin like milk does, so in chili it basically slows the capsaicin onset.

FFT has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Mar 27, 2021

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

If he's gonna keep cutting like that I assume it ends with a trip to the hospital?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

boar guy posted:

i haven't had a candy bar or like, grocery store candy in years, and my daughter got a huge thing of Rolos from a friend for her birthday, i tried one and they taste just awful. did chocolate always taste like a fart?
Usually butyric acid is described as reminiscient of vomit, but "fart" seems valid too.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Correct, that's a photoshopped meat donut

a ghastly intrigue arises nonetheless

i mean, if this kinda works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TD86JHBC8s

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

reminds me a little of the saga of Gatorade Bread

quote:

You ever have one of those “what am I doing with my life?” moments
yeah right now as i'm reading this

ne: oh whew this was mercifully short

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Assuming it's not dog or cat food my assumption is a compressed block of refrigerated Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
That's macaroni in there and Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff at least uses noodles that are shaped correctly.

Leftover beefy "white cheddar" mac & cheese smacked out of the container with a ketchup drizzle imo, definitely deliberate and before getting reheated.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Grunch Worldflower posted:

This is actually why I'm annoyed by Green Apple replacing Lime for everything bugs me so much. Lime is already citrus. It's perfect for sour candy. At least Lemon is still a pretty common flavor.

Though really, War Heads should have taught us that any flavor is good sour.
I know full well that I'm biased:

Actual green apples: fantastic
Green apple flavor: garbage

Actual oranges: garbage
Orange flavor: fantastic

Actual limes: fantastic
Lime flavor: passable

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's only tangentially related to the toothpaste talk but i remember back in like 2006 or so there were actual citrus flavored toothpastes, like lemon and orange and whatnot.

Not gonna lie, I miss them a lot, because man I hate mint so much. Just, any and all varieties, haven't found one that sits right with me yet.

I've got pure food grade MSG and sodium citrate, you can definitely get citric acid if you need it.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

I humbly submit "eggy baked noodles with cheese"

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I would have figured that Godzilla would have been the chicken sandwich since alligators supposedly taste like chicken, and King Kong is a mammal, which I would assume would taste like beef (or more likely pork)
Like a hamburger? :mmmsmug:

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Iguanas do supposedly taste like chicken, which is pretty relevant to Godzilla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw0_HT8vVw

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

is this too much for one serving of chilli?
Well it all fits in the bowl, but even if it didn't it looks like the table is covered in plastic so there may not be an upper limit.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

fizzymercury posted:

The "please don't eat mystery things" thread. Like this one:

It's just an applie pie made with 1/2 or 1/3 the filling and probably apple slices for the top crust.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Hell, if we're gonna do text

I sliced up a couple of the lovely hot dogs that have been hanging out in the fridge for a month so I could bag and freeze the rest for "later". Toasted some sesame seeds, put in just a bit of sesame oil, fried up the hot dog slices, then sidelined all that to a bowl.

Put in just enough water, got it to a ripping boil, plopped a ramen brick in (just enough water to reach halfway up). Tossed and mixed in the sriracha chicken flavor packet during the final roiling boil time, then poured it into the bowl.

Then I tossed some frozen green beans in, which warmed up nicely as the whole ensemble dropped to edible temperature.

No, I did not take any pictures of my Thursday breakfast, but it was okay

i've done worse tbh

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Which is a normal amount of ham for a sandwich. American sandwich toppings are ridiculous.
Buddy: ridiculous is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

"Any steak thicker than 1 centimeter is symbolic of American excess"