Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome to the Dorkroom chat thread. Talk about whatever, post poo poo you've been doing, just say hi!

I've been working on restoring this Voightlander Perkeo I 6x6 folder. Found it in a little antique shop, the lens was in good nick so it came home with me. Going to have to make a new bellows for it which will be a new one for me. I'll be documenting that in the repair thread when I get to it. Luckily I have a very attentive support technician.

I also got a new lamp for my workspace and it's so good, truly a dream to work under. Gives off a real nice diffuse light and leaves no shadows for bits to hide in.

Anyway, what's been goin on with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo that catte good as gently caress

here is my floofy idiot fighting some string

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Feels auspicious for my first post in The Dorkroom to be so early in the new chat thread.

Hi! I just bought a Canon 5D Mk III as my first real camera. I have no idea what I'm doing!

People keep asking me what I like to shoot, and I have no idea because I haven't taken any shots yet. My favorite photographer is Stacy Kranitz, though, so she is sort of an inspiration for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My current photography project is to look out the windows of my house and seeing amazing conditions but not being able to go outside because I have a stupid 9-5 job and sunset is at 5:30. So I get mad a lot at all the stuff I miss.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
whats your preferred approach for putting up and collapsing a tripod personally i like to unfasten everything then pull each leg one by one. back the other way just push them all in at once and lock up

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Twenties Superstar posted:

whats your preferred approach for putting up and collapsing a tripod personally i like to unfasten everything then pull each leg one by one. back the other way just push them all in at once and lock up

I go one leg at time. Unfasten all the QR, pull/push, move to the next.

Doesn't unfastening everything from the start cause the other two legs to telescope down on their own while you're working on the first one? That could be hazardous.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sub Rosa posted:

Feels auspicious for my first post in The Dorkroom to be so early in the new chat thread.

Hi! I just bought a Canon 5D Mk III as my first real camera. I have no idea what I'm doing!

People keep asking me what I like to shoot, and I have no idea because I haven't taken any shots yet. My favorite photographer is Stacy Kranitz, though, so she is sort of an inspiration for me.

Welcome! As someone who's been doing very casual photography on and off for like a decade at this point and only recently started trying to experiment with different things and actively working on improving my skills, I'd say having a source of inspiration is a great starting point. For a long time I didn't, really, and I just kinda flailed around without reflecting much on my photos. Looking back, most of them were really bad and boring, and I didn't really improve for a very long time. When I started looking more at other people's photos and trying to figure out what I liked and how they accomplished those shots, that's when I started improving.

Turns out that what I like most about photography is to catch birds doing silly things, and I'm probably not cut out to be a landscape photographer. It was good to finally figure that out, though!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I unfasten the bottom extensions first and set those up, then I set my height and unfasten the top extensions one by one getting everything level while I do. Then I put my camera on it and realize I need to be either higher or lower before convincing myself it's going to be a bad photo and packing it back up.

Sub Rosa posted:

That's awesome and you've got the right idea. Finding and drawing from inspiration is a great way to find new areas to explore. I've stopped saying "I'm a modern landscape photographer" or the like because I'm just into what I'm shooting on the day, which could be anything, but most likely cats.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I fully extend the first segment of the front leg, line up the mounting plate with my chin, then extend the second segment until the foot hits the ground and lock it. That way I'm setting up the tripod roughly where I visualized the composition (which is complete poo poo).

Then I extend the other two legs because a one legged tripod is pretty useless.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

in on page 1

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Love 2 scan and found out things I hosed up:

Apparently I can hold a camera still and get the correct settings for the scene, just not on the first half of the pair.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

all right ryan mcginley

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

seravid posted:

I go one leg at time. Unfasten all the QR, pull/push, move to the next.

Doesn't unfastening everything from the start cause the other two legs to telescope down on their own while you're working on the first one? That could be hazardous.

risk and reward

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Posting on first page

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i keep the bottom segments permanently extended a few inches so i just untwist the top segments in a circle, slam the tripod open, and tighten them in the same way, always extending to my desired height

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was looking at long lens options for medium format and I kept circling back around to the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegor 500mm f/5.6 because I already have a 300mm lens for P6 mount and I wanted to try some super-tele experiments. It's not super rare, but there aren't a lot in good condition these days and they go for more money than I was prepared to spend on a lens I'd maybe use two or three times a year.

Then I saw an eBay listing from a German dealer without a Buy it Now price so I dropped a hilariously low bid on it and, to my surprise I got it at about a fifth of the prices that I was seeing on other auctions. It arrived last week and it's a beast. The barrel (which is huge) is all metal. The elements are both huge and heavy - the front element is a 118mm diameter chunk of glass. The thing weighs about 4kg before you attach it to a camera. This is not a lens for birding unless the bird is unusually still and patient. This is not a lens for action shooting unles you are very, very strong. This is a lens for putting on a tripod and seeing things a long way away. I have no filters that will go on that thing and I don't know of any manufacturers that make 118mm filters as standard. Even my 100mm square drop-in filters are too small for this beast.

Here it is on my 6x6 Arax 88 with a 2x teleconverter between the camera and the lens for 1000mm goodness.

To put the size in perspective, here it is with some other lenses.
L-R Orestegor 500mm, my previous hugest lens, a Tair-33 300mm, and the standard 80mm lens that usually sits on my Arax.

And here it is with a Canon 70-200mm lens and the case for the thing in the background.

Best of all, that knurled ring around the lens mount is a collar that lets you switch out the standard Pentacon 6 lens mount for a different one. I have a separate cone adapter for Exakta mount, so I can fit that thing to my 35mm Exakta VX1000 and try some tripod-assisted wildlife photography with it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Watch out there's a new Girl Watcher in town

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Helen Highwater posted:

I was looking at long lens options for medium format and I kept circling back around to the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegor 500mm f/5.6 because I already have a 300mm lens for P6 mount and I wanted to try some super-tele experiments. It's not super rare, but there aren't a lot in good condition these days and they go for more money than I was prepared to spend on a lens I'd maybe use two or three times a year.

Then I saw an eBay listing from a German dealer without a Buy it Now price so I dropped a hilariously low bid on it and, to my surprise I got it at about a fifth of the prices that I was seeing on other auctions. It arrived last week and it's a beast. The barrel (which is huge) is all metal. The elements are both huge and heavy - the front element is a 118mm diameter chunk of glass. The thing weighs about 4kg before you attach it to a camera. This is not a lens for birding unless the bird is unusually still and patient. This is not a lens for action shooting unles you are very, very strong. This is a lens for putting on a tripod and seeing things a long way away. I have no filters that will go on that thing and I don't know of any manufacturers that make 118mm filters as standard. Even my 100mm square drop-in filters are too small for this beast.

Here it is on my 6x6 Arax 88 with a 2x teleconverter between the camera and the lens for 1000mm goodness.

To put the size in perspective, here it is with some other lenses.
L-R Orestegor 500mm, my previous hugest lens, a Tair-33 300mm, and the standard 80mm lens that usually sits on my Arax.

And here it is with a Canon 70-200mm lens and the case for the thing in the background.

Best of all, that knurled ring around the lens mount is a collar that lets you switch out the standard Pentacon 6 lens mount for a different one. I have a separate cone adapter for Exakta mount, so I can fit that thing to my 35mm Exakta VX1000 and try some tripod-assisted wildlife photography with it.

the most telling thing for me was the sheer scale comparing it to the clay pot. holy poo poo

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

:five:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Feels like a screen shot from a new Sim City game.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

My preferred approach is to leave it at home because I’m probably not going to take it out anyways.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

this is extremely my poo poo, i love it

lmao this too

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
hard to believe but scientists theorise that lens may be larger than an original xbox

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My perkeo is nude now, next up is shutter service or bellows replacement, not sure which yet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What will you do with the repaired product?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey so I took my first photos :toot:

I found some reddit course thing I'm going to try to work through that said to start with picking your favorite photo and a photo of a window, so of what I shot today I picked my favorite, and also here is the window pick.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid posted:

What will you do with the repaired product?

Use the hell out of it. It's joining my tiny crew with my next project. 2 cameras I can fit in a jacket pocket.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 18, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Hey so I took my first photos :toot:

I found some reddit course thing I'm going to try to work through that said to start with picking your favorite photo and a photo of a window, so of what I shot today I picked my favorite, and also here is the window pick.

These are nice! For beginners I always recommend this YouTube playlist its as much composition and techinque as it is operational basics, but whatever vibes with you and gets you out shooting!

These would be more than welcome in the landscape thread.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Megabound posted:

These are nice! For beginners I always recommend this YouTube playlist its as much composition and techinque as it is operational basics, but whatever vibes with you and gets you out shooting!

These would be more than welcome in the landscape thread.

Thanks, I posted them there as well, and I will check out that playlist. I have a lot of videos queued. Also I bought a couple books for 2 bucks each yesterday. One is Photography by Bruce Warren which looks pretty good, like an old textbook, but it's pre-digital. And the second book is digital specific. No shortage of resources.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I found an abandoned adult shop and peep show in the center of our clubbing district and the door was open so I guess they wanted me in there. Was a good day for photos.

It'll be a little bit before I get everything processed and finalized.

What sketchy places have you guys been in?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Does it count if it comes with a view?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i spend some time in abandoned places, personally

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

those all rip

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I find this one particularly concerning!

I need to go through these slower at home.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tag yourselves in abandoned dump, I'm the astro turf stairs

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
jeez ansel, just dumping an embarassment of riches on us

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Megabound posted:

Tag yourselves in abandoned dump, I'm the astro turf stairs

that place is great, it had this downstairs parlor 3 steps down from the kitchen with thick luscious green shag carpet and a fake brick fireplace with a view of distant mountains and (now) windmills. it's on some private hunting reserve for assholes so it's not going to get torn down any time soon. that room absolutely reeked of piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Those photos are all amazing.

Looking at all the film gear above I am both jealous and glad that I rock just one small, cheap body and one lens all the time. A Fuji XT1 and a 23mm f2 are all I carry 99% of the time.