Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Has anybody ordered from Nations Photo Lab recently? There's a message that they are printing orders as fast as possible but aren't providing estimated completion dates due to covid. I'm not in a rush but now that I've ordered one I just want it to be here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in here done a solargraph (translation: pinhole camera that takes an image over several months) and got experiences to share? I was thinking of setting one up a the summer solstice this year and run it for six months, so I got a couple months to screw around with implementation. Unfortunately there's not a lot of really concrete information, basically "buy photographic paper, put it in a can, make a small hole and tape it to a pole." I kinda want more detail than that.

My questions are:

Which paper? It "shouldn't" matter, just any B&W paper will do the job but this post suggests that different papers generate different effects: http://www.greggkemp.com/journal/papers-for-solargraphy. Anyone got a favorite paper? I'm guessing matte is best to avoid reflections inside the can.

Calculating a field of view. Field of view should be based on how far the paper is from the pinhole, right? What's the math for calculating it? Googling around it looks like a standard soda can with 5x7 paper will get 160 degrees fov so I probably shouldn't care too much, but I would like to try a 8x10 sheet.

"Developing." Conventional wisdom says you can't develop the paper, it'll obliterate the image. But there's people out there that have claimed to do it, like this one: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1003401@N22/discuss/72157623303552562/ with no specifics given. It seems like the best non-chemical solution is to take a picture of it with a DSLR. Scanners are the convention but they destroy the image quickly so one better hope they get it on the first pass. And I think it'd be really cool to keep the original.

There's only one mention of it on the forums, here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2864270&pagenumber=152&perpage=40&highlight=solargraphy#post389690409

Which has some interesting ideas. I guess I could just post in there too but this also seems like a good place to start.

edit - found a handy pinhole DIY site to help with the field of view calculation. https://www.diyphotography.net/the-comprehensive-tech-guide-to-pinhole-photography/

xzzy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 13, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's new gear day, pretty pumped to finally have a 35mm for my Canon. 1952 Jupiter-12. Needs a good service but I'm keen to get out there and put it through its paces.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello everyone, the travelling circus of wonders has come by the Dorkroom. You should jump in there and post some things you're proud of, photography or not!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I posted a few photos (and a couple more just now) in the traveling thread and looking at them got me thinking about styles. We talked about this on the discord, but that was about an overall Dorkroom style. I'm talking personal. Maybe "style" isn't the right word. Some photographers have a certain je ne sais quoi that make their images recognizable. Be it color grading, composition, subject matters... Approaches, traits, patterns, thesaurus, whatever it is, some people have/follow them and some, apparently, don't. Is that a pro or a con? Looking at the photos each of us have posted here, could anyone tell that they were all taken by a single person? Is that something that a photographer who's not looking for fame and/or fortune should even pursue? Is there such a thing as "our own voice"? The answer seems obvious, yet when you think of Ansel Adams (just to pick one), a certain, consistent type of photography comes to mind. And who wouldn't want to be like him?

seravid fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 21, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not either a pro or a con. It's just a depiction of the vision of the person that created it. I wouldn't chase a style trying to become anything, despite lots of blog posts floating around out there how if you want to "make it" you need to develop and stick to your brand. Let that poo poo develop naturally and watch it evolve over time.. one might settle in a certain spot and stay there forever, and that's cool. Or one might do a complete 180 every couple years and try something different. Everything is cool, focus on having fun taking pictures. If you ever find an audience the authenticity will absolutely stand out to them.

And yes, there are several people on this forum that are instantly recognizable by their composition, subject selection and processing.

As for the Ansel Adams part, I don't want to be him but I sure as poo poo will look at his stuff and take bits and pieces to try it out in my own photos.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

xzzy posted:

If you ever find an audience the authenticity will absolutely stand out to them.

Basically this, I think. You can't force anything. Henri Cartier-Bresson said "When you’re photographing you’re not trying to push a point to explain something, to prove something. You don’t prove anything. It comes by itself."

There's certainly such a thing as "our own voice", it just comes out naturally when you let it, I think.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Everything is cool, focus on having fun taking pictures.

Definitely my way of thinking after... holy moly, 16 years. I am old.

I agree that there are multiple posters here that I think I would recognize, and I'm pretty sure I'm not part of that group. To be clear: that doesn't bother me, I just think this is an interesting topic. The closest thing to a recognizable style I could have would be with macro photography, which is also my most prolific genre. I have photographed many, many bugs and I know what I'm looking for regarding how to frame and expose them (actually achieving these shots is another matter). Maybe it is as simple as that.

I took on a new subject a few months ago: individual trees. Tree portraits? For once, I am trying to find a specific way - my way - to photograph something and it has been a valuable and frustrating experience. I'm still in the phase where I'm mostly trying to apply lessons learned from watching the work of more experienced photographers and blaming my failures on my surroundings which are clearly inferior to theirs. My forests have 200% more wild, unruly branches than theirs.

real nap poo poo posted:

Basically this, I think. You can't force anything. Henri Cartier-Bresson said "When you’re photographing you’re not trying to push a point to explain something, to prove something. You don’t prove anything. It comes by itself."

There's certainly such a thing as "our own voice", it just comes out naturally when you let it, I think.

I appreciate the sentiment, but that's a really difficult point of view for me to adopt. It's the kind of thing I imagine a piano or violin prodigy would say with total sincerity to their older and more experienced but cruelly less talented peers.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i think i would more or less echo what has already been said. i think that over time u will find things that are interesting to you and gravitate toward them and it is impossible to avoid picking up bits and pieces from the other photography that you see. if you have more commercial goals in mind you will probably gravitate towards the things which end up being commercially / critically succesful.

there is the concept of a movement in art and life where different people come together and bring their own skills and point of view to a common project. i think you can definitely engage with that and trying to follow along is a great way to learn. if you don't want to get lost in the crowd you will need a distinctive "voice" and the platform neither of which come easy unless you are lucky

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

my amateur two cents is don't worry about whether or not you have an instantly recognizable style, and definitely don't worry about "fame/fortune", just focus on taking pictures and thinking about what it is that you like in photography, and having fun like xzzy said.

I think the more you think about what it is that draws you into certain pictures the more you may start to, even unconsciously, create those kinds of pictures in your own work.

as always the answer is look at lots of pictures and take lots of pictures, and I'm sure you're doing that already.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Had another photo added to explore, another mushroom macro, not one my personal favorites, but Flickr sure seems to like mushroom macros.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Some awesome stuff here:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/article/mesmerizing-pictures-from-nat-geo-archives-march-pod

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

happy monday photogs, whats everyone photoing this week?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Birbs as semi usual

Blackcap feeding by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Male Reed Bunting by Aves Lux, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

real nap poo poo posted:

happy monday photogs, whats everyone photoing this week?

Gonna finish off a roll of FP4+ and then check out all of the out of focus pictures of my kids.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm having a fight with a lens I'm servicing at the moment. Infinity was misaligned when I got it so now I'm down to trying all different permutations of helices (there's 2 of them) to get it all right. It beat me last night but I'll be back at it this evening. Absolutely grody lens.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I like to think of helicoid fuckery as trying to solve the Lament Configuration in that once I finally get it right and start taking pictures I let all sorts of horrors loose upon the earth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ah yes, "Lens Fucker," one of the most important manuals on the topic.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, I’ve definitely hosed some lenses. Got a whole box of them in my basement.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

Ah yes, "Lens Fucker," one of the most important manuals on the topic.

Shout out to this tool tho for real

Real good for getting one element out instead of tipping the lens over and having a myriad of spacers and elements fall out all over the shop. Also good for placing everything back in flat.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Scanned a photo of my cat Lois today

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hi Lois, lookin sharp.

Quick and dirty of my friends Italian Greyhound.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shot some bark today:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

Scanned a photo of my cat Lois today

That turned out nice.

What film format and scanning technique? I’ve got 35mm handled well enough via and old Scan Dual III, but I’m struggling to get good results with medium format in my v600.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For my V600 getting a betterscanning film holder was critical. Being able to adjust to get your focus just right is a game changer and the anr glass does a great job at flattening.

If your problem is clipping make sure you don't have auto exposure adjust turned on, I use Epson Scan and scan as direct positive, no assists turned on.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried buying the betterscanning holder thingy but the fuckers won’t write back to me to confirm my order via their jankety website. I have an ANR glass insert but the scans still seem soft. My next step will be to gradually shim up the loathsome epson holder to see if I can improve things. Putting the negative right on the platen didn’t help, so there’s nowhere to go but up.

Noted on the levels settings. I use Vuescan and I think I know which adjustment there you’re referring to.

In the end are you happy with the scan quality?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

President Beep posted:

That turned out nice.

What film format and scanning technique? I’ve got 35mm handled well enough via and old Scan Dual III, but I’m struggling to get good results with medium format in my v600.

Its 35mm HP5 scanned with a Plustek 8200i.

President Beep posted:

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried buying the betterscanning holder thingy but the fuckers won't write back to me to confirm my order via their jankety website

I've heard he's gotten squirrelly lately so you aren't the only one

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, sure am. Good enough for my purposes. Click for big. If I wanna pull every last detail out I'll then wet print

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried buying the betterscanning holder thingy but the fuckers won’t write back to me to confirm my order via their jankety website. I have an ANR glass insert but the scans still seem soft. My next step will be to gradually shim up the loathsome epson holder to see if I can improve things. Putting the negative right on the platen didn’t help, so there’s nowhere to go but up.

Noted on the levels settings. I use Vuescan and I think I know which adjustment there you’re referring to.

In the end are you happy with the scan quality?

by chance does your holder have tabs on the bottom with arrows? i believe the stock holders have a 3-level height adjustment that way

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bellows lugosi posted:

by chance does your holder have tabs on the bottom with arrows? i believe the stock holders have a 3-level height adjustment that way

Unfortunately not. I think those are only on the higher-end epsons.

e: I bet I could pretty easily add some set screws to the original holder. If some exploratory shimming yields good results I might do that.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 27, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cannot get manage the banding. Just a hard photo to take I think.

Sunrise2 by B. B., on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

torgeaux posted:

Cannot get manage the banding. Just a hard photo to take I think.

Sunrise2 by B. B., on Flickr

Not really seeing any banding here..

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I have lost all my photography motivation over the last few weeks.

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

How do you guys get out of slumps?

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 28, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wait for stuff to get pretty again. Around me we're in the flat period, all the cool winter scenes are gone and the foliage haven't filled out yet so everything I like to photograph looks really bad. The weather patterns aren't very interesting either.

It would be nice for nature to be inspiring every month of the year but that ain't happening unless one can afford to spend months traveling.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Not really seeing any banding here..

Right at the transitions in the brightest part of the son.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen people mitigate that with a radial filter over the sun to smooth out the transitions a bit. There was a youtube video I saw that talked about it a bit but hell if I can find it now. But it involved tweaking texture/clarity/dehaze downwards a bit to blur the edges for a smoother gradient.

Can probably do it in photoshop too with a radial gradient. The idea there is to add your own color information to the area and fade it in to mask the banding.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Picked up the Meyerowitz ‘how I make photographs’ book to hopefully give me some inspiration.

Books and looking at other people's pictures are always good. Sometimes I just end up doing other hobbies and eventually something piques my interest and I get a reason to go back to taking photos. It could be inspiration from looking at other people's work, last week for me it was the first time I've seen snow so late that everything was either in bloom or had full foliage.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I've seen people mitigate that with a radial filter over the sun to smooth out the transitions a bit. There was a youtube video I saw that talked about it a bit but hell if I can find it now. But it involved tweaking texture/clarity/dehaze downwards a bit to blur the edges for a smoother gradient.

Can probably do it in photoshop too with a radial gradient. The idea there is to add your own color information to the area and fade it in to mask the banding.

I think that's gotta be it. I'll look for a tutorial.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

echoing looking at other pictures and sometimes just waiting it out. or going through old pictures of mine again. OR just force myself to go out anyways.

I think editing pictures helps you to clarify what you're doing. it may be that you find inspiration in pictures that you once overlooked, and time has given you a new perspective on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I honestly haven't noticed any correlation between how excited I am to go out to take pictures and the quality of what I get. For me the most important thing has just been consistently getting out and getting in the practice.