Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im playing through smw again after a few years and mario destroys castle #2 by jumping on it. This doesnt make any goddamn sense, you spend most of the level scaling it, but then mario leaves a door thats the same size as him and then he turns around and jumps on the castle implied to be in the background without shrinking. theres a lot of scale issues here that camera theory doesnt answer, is mario getting bigger as he jumps towards the castle and then shrinking as he returns? lets get the imp zone brain trust on this and solve it once and for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Mario used a big mushroom hth

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The castle used a big mushroom and shrank after Mario beat it

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

herculon posted:

The castle used a big mushroom and shrank after Mario beat it

flaccid castle theory

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Morton's castle was an inside job. Plumber boots don't melt stone beams.

Bowser just wanted an excuse to invade the mushroom kingdom, open your eyes sheepas.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Mario had to go into the castle to safely retrieve the yoshi egg, which would have been crushed in the wreckage had he just jumped on the castle

YOU BUFFOON!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Mario constructed a scale model to knock down for the sake of the viewer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mario's size is constant, but the size of other objects varies based on their distance to the viewer. This is why Bowser doesn't leave his castle. Were Mario able to see Bowser from the world map, it would be simple for Mario to step on him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evidence: "Small" Mario and "Large" Mario affect this style of lift in the same way. Mario's size is constant.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

mario's just making a fun optical illusion, like when people pretend to hold up the leaning tower of pisa. They're not really holding it up!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Mario is actually squishing a goombas head, not stomping it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Mario takes the time to go through all the castles (even when he could smash them from the outside) because he wants to murder each and every enemy inside individually. He would not get the same satisfaction from killing them en masse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

in fact, the castles in super mario world appear to be made of such flimsy material that they can be washed away with a mere mop. it hardly seems worth the trouble of exploring the inside and confronting the koopalings within.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

what about the one he erases with a mop and broom

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a mop and bucket. aww gently caress

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In the cutscenes where the castles are destroyed, the castles are actually very far away. Mario is just doing some pantomime to pretend to destroy them, but they're falling down on their own.

e: ok nvm I watched the mop one and something shady is going on here

Martman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 16, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Mario is actually squishing a goombas head, not stomping it

Actually he just flips them over. They get right back up a few seconds later.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

a mop and bucket. aww gently caress

this one is easy he's wallpapering the background onto the camera lens, covering up the castle which is still there

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
He's destroying them in effigy.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The hills have eyes, and they're suing Mario for rocket castle related injuries

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the map in Super Mario World is a model, used to represent the actual movements of Mario

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario is a wizard and can change size at will.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mario is a wizard and can change size at will.

Why isn't he just always big

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Why isn't he just always big

He doesn't feel like it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

while we're on this topic, the so called donut plains do not appear to be shaped like donuts, nor do they appear to have a donut-like texture, color or appearance. are we to believe that Morton koopa Jr has set up his tiny, stompable castle in an area named after the Donut family? if so, it seems likely that they would be very wealthy donors who would have enough pull to remove the upstart koopaling and his minions from their namesake.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vanilla Dome is entirely the wrong climate to grow vanilla. Were they high on drugs when they made these games?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Evidence: "Small" Mario and "Large" Mario affect this style of lift in the same way. Mario's size is constant.

Mario's mass is constant. :science:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dinosaur Land in general seems like a bizarre location where everything is topsy-turvy and the laws of physics go out the window. Perhaps it was pulled forward through time from the Mesozoic Era and the shock to the space-time continuum had rippling effects.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Mario's mass is constant. :science:
Dense Mario vs. Expanding Mario

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMI7lFWdhps

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He clearly targets some structural weak point in the foundation, and then uses his jumps to accelerate the collapse. In conclusion, it's a regular sized castle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

reconsidering my earlier comment. upon reflection, it seems likely that the delicious food names for the locations were concocted as cruel tricks (probably by ludwig von koopa or even bowser himself) to lure the ravenous yoshis into a trap as part of an attempt to ruin (at the time) peach's vacation. we now know that the reason for the scheme was actually revenge for the events depicted in super mario world 2: yoshi's island.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What kind of maniac destroys an entire castle instead of just letting the good guys reclaim it?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Serious answer though it's a bit of surrealism/symbolism at play. You're meant to understand the basic idea that Mario is destroying the castle *in some way* (or perhaps that he already has destroyed it, "destroy" here being a kind of symbolic destruction when "the castle" is understood to be the enemies who control it), and the way this idea is represented through an animation that defies your expectations of reality is meant to elicit some combination of awe and merriment in the player (and/or the other viewers).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dinosaur Land in general seems like a bizarre location where everything is topsy-turvy and the laws of physics go out the window. Perhaps it was pulled forward through time from the Mesozoic Era and the shock to the space-time continuum had rippling effects.

doubtful. if this were true, then harle from chrono cross (being, as you recall from dinopolis) would merely stomp on her enemies or mop them away on a whim. yes, they are different properties, but the worlds are shared now that sephiroth and cloud are featured in super smash brothers.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Martman posted:

What kind of maniac destroys an entire castle instead of just letting the good guys reclaim it?

Mario has enough castles under his name and is not in the mood to have to go pick up six golden coins every time he gets tricked into leaving one unguarded.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Martman posted:

Mario is a Bolshevik and understands the importance of destroying the old order

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

Serious answer though it's a bit of surrealism/symbolism at play. You're meant to understand the basic idea that Mario is destroying the castle *in some way* (or perhaps that he already has destroyed it, "destroy" here being a kind of symbolic destruction when "the castle" is understood to be the enemies who control it), and the way this idea is represented through an animation that defies your expectations of reality is meant to elicit some combination of awe and merriment in the player (and/or the other viewers).

oh, really? looks like we got a doylist here, boys. let's give him a warm watsonian welcome (i.e. the mario world castle treatment). let's see how metaphorical it is when you get mopped into nullspace, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the answer lies in mario 64

think. use your breans.
what does big boo's haunt look like before you enter it?