Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The recent leak of the Goldeneye HD Remaster for XBLA highlighted the fact for me that legit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 emulators are becoming reasonably well-developed, so I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the games that can still only be played practically on either a PS3, Xbox 360, or an emulator. I didn't include the Wii because Nintendo always has its fans, the Wii wasn't really in the same game as the other two, and Dolphin has been a thing for a long time.

Are the PS3 and 360 "retro"?

Maybe not, but the 360 launched in 2005. If it were a person, it could drive a car now.

First up: Beyond Good & Evil HD

An up-scaled 2012 re-release of the 2003 cult classic meant to prime excitement for BG&E2 (:smithicide:), this remains arguably the best way to play the original game, since the PC version still lacks decent native gamepad or widescreen support.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

Love it or hate it, this completely redrawn and HD-ified version of the venerable SF2 franchise never made it to PC or even backwards compatibility on the Xbone/PS4. Runs great on rpcs3 though.

Folklore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9k1hyUm3Rg

Forgotten early RPG on the PS3 with a unique Japanese take on Irish mythology. Main bummer is the early-PS3-era shoehorning in of Sixaxis mechanics.

So let's talk about some of the other games from this generation that still can't easily be played elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

kinect party is still arguably the best kids game.

I wouldn't mind seeing child of eden being rereleased. it's not particularly good, but I love rez so much I feel compelled to complete it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

Another PlayStation 3 exclusive not even available on PS4/PS5 except through PSNow. Has something crazy like 40 characters.

and

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD (aka Battle for the Future)

An HD remake for the 360/PS3 of the Dreamcast/PS2 era arcade fighter often considered by fans to be the best in the series. Has since been delisted from the online stores.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

kinect party is still arguably the best kids game.

I wouldn't mind seeing child of eden being rereleased. it's not particularly good, but I love rez so much I feel compelled to complete it.

Child of Eden is back compatible and launched with controller support, no Kinect needed.

Its also really bad and I too only played it out of a deep love for Rez

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 17, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tokyo Jungle is a wonderfully weird thing with some rough edges that really could have done with further iteration in next-gen sequels.

You'll need to change one of the default settings (preferably through custom game settings) for it to run properly on RPCS3, though. Change the "SPU Decoder" setting to "Recompiler (ASMJIT)" instead of the default "Recompiler (LLVM)", otherwise after around 10-15 mins the audio will cut out and the game will likely crash shortly after, making it hard to complete the tutorial and enable the ability to play the actual game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Kins posted:

Tokyo Jungle is a wonderfully weird thing with some rough edges that really could have done with further iteration in next-gen sequels.

You'll need to change one of the default settings (preferably through custom game settings) for it to run properly on RPCS3, though. Change the "SPU Decoder" setting to "Recompiler (ASMJIT)" instead of the default "Recompiler (LLVM)", otherwise after around 10-15 mins the audio will cut out and the game will likely crash shortly after, making it hard to complete the tutorial and enable the ability to play the actual game.

I actually just tried this last night! Very singular game. Is it just me, or does it feel like a Dreamcast game in some ways? Not only the graphics, but the under-use of the right analog stick, and the experimental weirdness.

Incidentally since I didn't know any better I tried it without changing any settings, and was able to complete the tutorial fine.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 17, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beautiful Katamari remains trapped forever on the 360 and I want it. Give me back my co-op HD katamari son. Katamari Forever is I think also trapped on PS3 but is mostly levels from the previous games and had no online coop so Im less heartbroken over it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

viva piñata and the sequel

outside of perfect dark, I think that's the only rare game I like but I sure do like it a whole bunch

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Beautiful Katamari remains trapped forever on the 360 and I want it. Give me back my co-op HD katamari son. Katamari Forever is I think also trapped on PS3 but is mostly levels from the previous games and had no online coop so Im less heartbroken over it

Yes! I bought Katamari Reroll on the Switch partly because it's a great game, but also in large part to help show there's still an audience willing to pay money for more Katamari! I would love to see a 'We Love Katamari' remaster, personally, because that was my personal favorite. Katamari Forever may not have much in the way of new content, but it's really pretty and seems to have the smoothest controls out of any of them, including 'Reroll'. Seems to have the fewest of those incidents where you going flying across the stage because you were almost-but-not-quite big enough to roll up something.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m planning on doing a MGS series replay in the near future so I’m keeping the old PS3 around just for MGS4 pretty much. I haven’t played it since like 2011 probably

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think MGS HD Collection also remains only on PS3/360 and PS Now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagined posted:

It’s on Vita as well (2/3 anyway, peace walker is playable through back compatibility) but yeah I wish they would get ported forward. One of the best HD remasters period.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Imagined posted:

It's BC on Xbox One/X and Series S/X too, and with BC enhancements has become far and away the best version.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Good news!

Works fine in Xenia, 60 FPS even, as long as you set the launch arguments at --protect_zero=false --scribble_heap=true

Only saw one graphical glitch: the texture for the star your katamari turns into at the end of a level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My PC regularly crashes on Doom, so emulation doesn't exist for me

The Voice of Labor posted:

viva piñata and the sequel

outside of perfect dark, I think that's the only rare game I like but I sure do like it a whole bunch

They're available and work on the Xbox Series and Xbox One console lines and got 4k patches for the X set of consoles. The Rare Collection is a really good deal.

Also Viva Pinata 1 got a PC release, didn't it?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it did, but it's through games for microsoft live or whatever online store/service that doesn't exist any longer.

e: what's the xbone/360 backwards compatibility like? 360/og xbox was choppy as all

man, I guess jet set radio future emulated on a 360 would also be a seventh generation game I would like to see revisited

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 18, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlike 360->OG, Series/Bone->360 is flawless if the title is supported, which both Viva Pinata mainline games are. In the case of Rare Replay, that was a native Bone title that contains all rare games sans Goldeneye and now Sea of Thieves so its uh even more compatible I guess. As mentioned if you have a Series X or a One X you can play Viva Pinata games in 4k.

The Series X backwards compatibility solution is best in class for a console maker and now includes things like running 30fps games from the Bone era at 60fps. All Bone games back compatible with loading improvements, frame rate improvements if uncapped, hdr, and now in some cases 60fps without requiring patches. All supported 360 titles also get the same loading and framerate locks, with some games like older Forzas and such getting 4k patches. A small handful of original xbox games work as well, apparently more to come this year (come on jet set radio).

Its how you end up with things like the MGS HD collection being not only still playable on your Series X/S console but it also running better than than it did when it came out.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'd like to see the xbla indie game model come back. what was it, like $90 a year for a publishing license?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Last night I played a bit of The Simpsons Game (2007) on PS3.

It was also on the 360, but isn't backwards compatible on the Xbone.

You're not missing much with this one unless you're a huge Simpsons fan, but it's technically decent, looks OK, has most of the real cast in to do lots of new lines, etc. This would have been around the time of The Simpsons Movie, too, I think, so still worth a few laughs, but also some cringe. Must be really short, too, since I only played it 30 minutes tops and my save file said I was almost 10% done.

The gameplay is bog standard early-2000s 3D platformer, dodgy camera controls and all. It's basically exactly like one of the early LEGO games except cell-shaded.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SSX on this generation was rad. You also have the Resistance games but the real hidden gems are the golf and tennis games on this generation. There haven't been decent golf or tennis games since.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Full Auto was a not very good early 3rd party exclusive on the 360. A combination car combat and racer it uh, never really gelled into anything and somehow didn't even accidentally fall into feeling like a kart racer. Whats fascinating about it is its sequel was inexplicably a PS3 and PSP exclusive and somehow even less refined and polished. Theres really not a lot of reason to go back and play it but its probably the last time we'll ever see something like that again.

Also, how has nobody mentioned CHROMEHOUNDS yet?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was looking up old PC games on Youtube just to have a comfy time looking at people playing stuff like System Shock, and seeing video where people list Dead Space and Borderlands as old PC games is a trip.

The passage of time is hosed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gun, whose box art made it look like it was actually Gun 2, felt like at the time I was playing a sure to be franchise but apparently it didn't resonate with other people and well Read Dead kind of obliterated any reason to return to it.

Also Hitman: Blood Money has an 82 metacritic score what the gently caress reviewers in 2006?

Roth posted:

I was looking up old PC games on Youtube just to have a comfy time looking at people playing stuff like System Shock, and seeing video where people list Dead Space and Borderlands as old PC games is a trip.

The passage of time is hosed.

Kids will be driving already or soon who were born after the 360 launch. The 360 launch is further in time from today than the 360 was from the snes launch

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 22, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Barudak posted:

Also, how has nobody mentioned CHROMEHOUNDS yet?

chromehounds, one of the armored core games and gears of war, because they were the games I could find locally in a county without a gamestop. that movement, along with, like super meat boy, culminating in dark souls of let's make video games hard again seems like a topical index mark of the era

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chromehounds core conceit of needing to maintain radio towers and proximity to talk to teammates was brilliant game design. Its an absolute drat shame discord and a million other Voip offerings invalidate it now a days.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

coom pas

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Thanks for starting this thread, Imagined! Thanks to COVID, I'm finally digging through my hilariously massive PS3 backlog, built from years of PS+ membership and drunk impulse sale purchases, so I'm glad to have a place to whine about them.

When I shift out of my current PS2 kick (now that I've finally got the OSSC juuuust right) I'll probably start asking in here what I should be throwing on next.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its PS3 you've got some decent games like Folklore, some great games like Tokyo Jungle, some interesting but holy hell how was this acceptable games like Drakengard 3 and then hooo boy were there some PS3 stinkers.

Like Haze. Oh boy Haze

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It is my dream to find the psn collection with Tokyo Jungle on it, in person.

So far my ps3 physical game list is MGS HD collection, The Darkness 1 and 2, Little Big Planet 2, and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 3(I have 2 on ps2).

Otherwise my cecha01 has a boat load of ps1 and 2 titles and it is probably my favorite console besides the genesis32xcd.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are those dynasty warriors games fun

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Short answer: hell yes.

There are many flavors, though. Dynasty Warriors(Chinese historical stuff), Samurai Warriors (Japanese stuff), Warriors Orochi(which combines the two previously mentioned and is a bit more fantastical). Then you have spinoffs like Gundam and such. All the mainline titles go through some sort of story mode where you face off against an incredible amount of yellow turbans/wannabe samurais/zaku mobile suits, usually involving having AI or friend controlled friendly units, while unlocking new gear and getting stronger. Most games have an expansion, and also an Empires game. Empires being more freeform in that you make a guy, recruit dudes, and strategically take over a grid based map. I like those titles more.

Pick your poison cause you could throw a dart on a handful of systems and land on some sort of Mosou game(what they are called world wide).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Warriors games are way more fun than you'd expect them to be, they just feel satisfying to me.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They have that feeling of a videogame sequel where at the beginning you have all your powers and weapons from the previous game and you're just mowing through mooks before the plot takes all your stuff away again, but like, that's the whole game.

Not really the subject of the thread, but Hyrule Warriors 2 even has a pretty legit story.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Fist of the North Star musous are a mixed bag

Ken's Rage 1 has a decent story mode that follows the best parts of the manga/anime, but the special moves take too long to execute and there are some awful platforming sections and poison hazards. The what-if scenarios are pretty cool and are most notable for having Jagi and Amiba's Excellent Adventures

Ken's Rage 2 improves the gameplay in a variety of ways but has this nonsensical scroll system instead of the straightforward skill tree in the first game to improve stats. The story mode includes the story past Raoh (Hokuto no Ken 2) and is an absolute slog at the end - just like the manga/anime, it just drags on forever with some truly dumb story beats. The character roster is significantly expanded IIRC (you can even play as the Colonel lol). It also lacks an english dub if that matters, as the first one IMO has a solid voice cast minus Kaiji Tang as Kenshiro who is trying wayyyyy too hard to do a gruff voice and just comes across as a goony sounding mother fucker trying to sound tough and it sucks

It's fun to make heads explode but KR2 was a missed opportunity to fix all the issues in the first

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Musou games are ideal games to play while listening to podcasts or watching other things on the side. They're a lot of fun and the music in them loving slaps, but you can also just turn your brain off and have fun mowing down countless foes like you're Sauron at the start of Lord of the Rings. I personally like the spin-offs/licensed games more than the core series - you can only do the Yellow Turban Rebellion so many times, y'know? - but I highly recommend Warriors Orochi 3. The game starts and almost every character in the game is already dead. The last three remaining heroes go on what's essentially an unspoken suicide mission to destroy the kaiju responsible before it can destroy the world. They're saved at the last moment by a princess who gives them the ability to travel back in time and save the allies they lost, before facing the beast down again with an impossibly huge army towards the end. I'll admit to being a huge fan of 'set right what once went wrong' plots, but the game really sells you on the idea that you're a ragtag group of time-travelling badasses. And depending on which version you play, you have anywhere up to 145 characters to choose from, all of whom are distinct from each other in some way.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought persona 5 strikers which will be my first musoi game since dynasty warriors 2 at ps2 launch. If I like it I may get that gundam game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 360/PS3 had some real clunkers like Ninety Nine Nights 1 and 2, buuuuut Bladestorm was a fun tweak on the core formula and something Im surprised didn't get iterated on.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
anyone still playing 360 titles wanna party up sometime and get some multiplayer going? NFS: Hot Pursuit, Quake 4, CoD2/3, some terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six: Vegas?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My kids are absolutely OBSESSED with Deadstorm Pirates on the PS3 Move.

Are there any other really good Move shooters? Or even just Move games in general?

Also we have two move controllers but are there any games that actually allow 4 move controllers at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barnold posted:

anyone still playing 360 titles wanna party up sometime and get some multiplayer going? NFS: Hot Pursuit, Quake 4, CoD2/3, some terrorist hunt in Rainbow Six: Vegas?

I would but in Japan.

Currently playing through Lost Planet 2 and its like, ugh, you're 60% of the way to a great game but just stalled out at "mediocre as hell"