Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the presence of the dumb rooster was going to pay off in some plot sense, not just as comic relief, but it didn't. Chekov's cock was never fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Whenever my niece visits she arranges my hair so it looks like Anna's.

Aw, that's cute.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

I thought the presence of the dumb rooster was going to pay off in some plot sense, not just as comic relief, but it didn't. Chekov's cock was never fired.

The pig also featured much larger in the promotional material than it did in the film.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think you misspelled Mona op, my congratulations or condolences otherwize

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Applewhite posted:

The pig also featured much larger in the promotional material than it did in the film.

My wife’s take was that the baby sea turtle that baby Moana saves in the beginning should have made an appearance later in the film to return the favor somehow as an adult turtle. It looked like they were setting that up but it never happened. It waves at her in gratitude and everything.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ralph Hurley posted:

My wife’s take was that the baby sea turtle that baby Moana saves in the beginning should have made an appearance later in the film to return the favor somehow as an adult turtle. It looked like they were setting that up but it never happened. It waves at her in gratitude and everything.

A superfluous detail and another example of the poor storytelling that riddles the film.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Duane "The Rock" Johnson left a child for dead on a deserted island and joked about it in sing-a-long form. How could Disney let this happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hairy Right Hook posted:

Duane "The Rock" Johnson abandoned a child on a deserted island and joked about it in sing-a-long form. How could Disney let this happen.

He also peed on Moana later. Disney's quality control were obviously asleep at the wheel here.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I heard that "Dwayne" the Rock Johnson didn't actually voice the character of Moana and is suing Disney for casting a Pacific Islander that isn't played by him.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Applewhite posted:

My children watched Moana, Frozen 2 and Croods back to back to back nonstop for all of 2020. Croods is the superior film. Frozen 2 sucks hardcore poo poo.

I haven’t seen Croods but I know that when it came out a kid laughed so hard at the movie that the cinema staff kicked her out and for some reason this made the news. Now if that’s not a mark of quality I don’t know what is

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

the "b" cuts have pua the pig being the animal sidekick as well but I guess they cut it because it was dumb, so a good story telling choice here at least. The dumb chicken was just a dumb chicken and played its role to perfection.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't understand the point of casting a celebrity as the voice of an animal, especially one that doesnt even really emote. Alan Tudyk's entire performance would have been improved by just buying stock rooster noises (which they still used anyway)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
moana as a movie was really really really pretty

the water was pretty and the islands were pretty

All in all, a very good movie to get really high and watch on an enormous screen

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I really liked the Croods, I'm a sucker for any kids movie where a main character accepts their inevitable mortality, likely at the hands of cruelty and violence.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
campbell based storytelling sucks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Moana was pretty good for a Disney movie but it's hard to say whether it's actually that good or if that's just because it compares favorably next to Frozen

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Electric smokers are fine. I will die on this hill.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Crazy to think that 100 years ago an antisemite in a shack draws a mouse, and now we have a university size team of people slaving away on computers making all our children's art

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

moana as a movie was really really really pretty

the water was pretty and the islands were pretty

All in all, a very good movie to get really high and watch on an enormous screen

I noticed this too, but alas, am unable to partake of the Devil's Lettuce.

Is Frozen any good?

I liked the Croods, haven't seen the second one yet.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

Derpies posted:

My daughter, despite being a total Ana in spirit and hair color is obsessed with being Elsa, probably because we are in Utah and everyone with Blonde Hair and Blue eyes influences this and I feel bad. Why doesn't anyone want to be Ana? She is way more interesting and seems to have a personality beyond just loving everything up.

It's that shoulder shrug followed by the cape release in "Let It Go"...also, Ana is aloof for 99% of the movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Derpies posted:

My daughter, despite being a total Ana in spirit and hair color is obsessed with being Elsa, probably because we are in Utah and everyone with Blonde Hair and Blue eyes influences this and I feel bad. Why doesn't anyone want to be Ana? She is way more interesting and seems to have a personality beyond just loving everything up.

Ana isn't magic.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Very insightful OP, I enjoyed reading your analysis again and again

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I really liked the crab musical number I thought it was a lot of fun

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bea Nanner posted:

campbell based storytelling sucks

What structure do you prefer?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

blight rhino posted:

Is Frozen any good?

it is the most committee-driven movie I've seen in the Disney canon and that's saying a lot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just let it go lol

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing about Moana is how much typical Disney brand worshippers hated this, when it was in fact that best scene in the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My favorite thing about Moana is how much typical Disney brand worshippers hated this, when it was in fact that best scene in the film:

who didn’t like this?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
isn't the Save The Cat author the guy who wrote Blank Check lmao

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
The true crime of Moana is that Disney has been sitting on the Tahitian (native Hawaiian language) version for 4 years now and have never released the version to the public. There was mention of it going out to schools but that is the only news of it being made aviable and that was in 2017. Stupid Disney, they released the soundtrack, its on spotify and its pretty good, but the actual movie in its original language seems to be something they're holding back. Better release it for Disney+, make some use of that drat streaming service.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

who didn’t like this?

I mean, it has a fairly high dislike count for an official Disney video.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

who didn’t like this?

fish are dumb dumb dumb

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought it was like, everyone’s favorite part? It and “you’re welcome” are the only parts I come into the room for when my kids are watching.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

R.L. Stine posted:

isn't the Save The Cat author the guy who wrote Blank Check lmao

Yeah his filmography is thin on the ground. Also he’s been dead for ten years apparently, which is kinda sad. Still I loved his book.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I "moana"ed when I started reading this post

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

low key sex master posted:

I "moana"ed when I started reading this post

The post made you cum?????

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Who What Now posted:

The post made you cum?????

My kink is internet posts and baby........... i'm horney

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There should be more barrel builds in animated movies, IMO. Men and women.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

“You’re welcome!” Is a fun song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Coco is the better movie