Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

alright time for some lukewarm hot takes:

-Silence is probably a fine novel but doesn't really work as a film
-Kundun and Bringing Out the Dead are horribly underrated
-Gangs of New York has a better Daniel Day Lewis performance than There Will Be Blood
-Raging Bull feels weirdly forgotten for some reason considering it's maybe the best movie by Scorsese or De Niro
-I will take anyone making GBS threads on his film takes seriously when they direct a movie at least as good as After Hours and not before

Scary accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: Silence

I read the book before I saw the movie, I would recommend it to anyone who at least kinda liked the film. You get more pov from some of the minor characters, the priests do a bit more, etc

And LtKen is correct, it works a bit better as a novel than a movie but there's not a huge gulf between them really.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

If we're talking subdued/different Nicholson performances I recently double-featured the Shooting and Ride the Whirlwind, I would recommend both (but especially the shooting)