Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Spatulater bro! posted:

The only Scorsese movie I've felt "meh" about is The Color of Money. Everything else has been at worst great.

I think it's because it's one of his less "timeless" movies just due to the subject matter, where unless you've spent a bit of time around older types of people who have gambled a bit harder than a trip to Vegas it doesn't capture as much for you. It's not one of the Americana-type of things that's been romantacized and mythologized like Sinatra-era Vegas or Goodfellas-era mob stuff.

The pool-hall famous gambler stuff doesn't have as much mythology anymore. That bar scene, and the men's-night beer-sports nights and the regular neighborhood bowling alleys where they happened don't really exist on anywhere near the level they used to and that's really where gamblers and hustlers legends were born, grew, and talked about enough to stay alive. When pool halls and bowling alleys died out and the bar scene changed, that kind of stuff died out. Hustlers, gamblers and the antics and the legends that sprung up around it all was always more barroom bullshitting rather than stuff that was really written down seriously anywhere.

(I like the movie myself but I can see why somebody wouldn't find it as interesting as his other movies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU