Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've been using apps like this for about 9 years on and off. I'll give you a rundown, but I want to be clear my main point is there is no one perfect app nor data source. You'll always, always, find one you like more for a particular use. This leads me to my second point, your phone can have more than one, so why not?.

I'm also going to include data sources in here as they are as-useful as phone apps. Most of these will be Android centric but some have iOS versions. Also these aren't really catchy reviews, just my thoughts.

Android App: BackCountry Navigator - my longest used app. Bought the Pro version years ago. Decent maps catalog and fine controls over what you you download for offline use. Has plenty of UI controls so you can get it "just right" (in my case that's North is always up and centre cursor for actions). Imports GPXs and KMLs nicely. I've got a lot of trips recorded in this one.

Works great with OpenAndroMaps...

Data Source: OpenAndroMaps - offline, mobile friendly vector maps for many apps (Orux, Locus, Backcountry Navigator, BikeComputer etc...).
Based on OpenStreetMap data.

Android/iOS/Web: GaiaGPS
Perhaps the best for sharing trips with buddies. Also a great maps catalog (including their custom rendering of OSM) and for those in Canada, if you go for the top end subscription, you can get access to Backroads Map Books for cheap (but only while subscribed). I'd also like to praise the fact that the web app has a print option (you don't want your map running out of power). The web app can make planning easier on a nice big screen and the routefinding can be excellent. They also have a decent library of public tracks from other users and easy sharing.

Web (and apps just launched): CalTopo
Firstly this is easily one of the best performing web apps you'll find. It's been around for ages and I originally used it for making GPXs/KMLs I'd later load in to BackCountry Navigator (and print them). They have also created a custom map with their best data sources they could get (I found that was Ordinance Survey maps in the UK). They used to licence it to other apps but closed it up recently. Somewhat more US centric in places but works well and has some unique tools, which were intended for SAR use but handy for many. Great routefinding too. Finally, again this is another good printed map option.

Shoutout: ThunderForest Outdoor style
You'll find this as an option for displaying OSM data in the apps above, really good clean look.

Data Source that you should edit: OpenStreetMap - It's usable in all of the above
Learn to edit this and add data like well known trails, milestones, campsites, information boards, bridges, bins, whatever it may be. I've spent plenty of time improving the maps for areas I'm going to travel in.

Data recorder for OSM: OSMTracker
This is for when you are actually out there and want to make a track (or even just notes) to add to OSM later. Start recording and jab a button to make a waypoint with that name when you pass something. When you're in range, you can upload the track to OSM right from the app. Later, when editing OSM, you can add that data (with more details) to OSM. Even if you just record accurate data and upload it as a public track, it can be useful for others who are editing.

Android and iOS App: PeakVisor
Download an area in advance and when you're there, pull out your phone and use an AR interface to have it plainly tell you "this is what that mountain is called".

App: GPS Status
Lots of GPS stats and a perfectly plain "I am here" set of coordinates if you need them.

Tracker for hiking stats (if not one of the map apps above): Strava
OK this is more for runners/cyclists, but it works for hiking.

My final point is get ready for a lot of data manipulation. There are more sites than I can begin to think of on where to get routes, and that varies by area so you really just need to dig up which ones are the best. I often combine multiple data sources into my trip planning.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU