Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I sort of wonder if Atlus is going to avoid showing the Persona 4 and 5 casts as adults specifically because, with those games' protagonists still around, it becomes hard to show their future lives without potentially alienating players who identified with their versions of the protagonists. Anime adaptations and spin-offs that have them still as teenagers are one thing--they're going to be mostly the same people you remember, romances are just sort of danced around or teased, that kind of thing. But showing 20-something Persona 4 characters would require them to commit to a specific version of Yu Narukami as an adult with a specific life path that probably won't match with what players envision their P4 Protagonist would've grown up to be.

The same goes for the Persona 5 cast, but any hypothetical game taking place at a time when they're adults is probably a lot farther off. I guess it'd be mostly uncontroversial to show grown-up Joker running Leblanc in a future game or something.

The Persona Q and Dancing games are clearly happy to screw around with time, though, so having a Persona 5 Arena where the P3 and P4 casts are exactly as they are in P4A would be entirely within the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

To be fair the Arena games have already shown they're willing to age up old characters, though I guess P3 has it a bit easier due to its whole situation. I'd say they could just avoid including the protagonists in games featuring future versions of the characters, but I dunno how much people would be into that...

Yeah, Persona 3's got a unique situation in that (I realize it's an old game but spoiler) with the protagonist dead, there aren't many personal player narratives to step on. The P3 cast are living their lives without the protagonist no matter what, so Atlus can write them however they want.

This is really just speculation on my part, though. I can't remember where but I think I read that Atlus doesn't really want to flesh out Persona protagonists as their own characters like what they did with Yu Narukami anymore, which is why Joker remains a silent character in Dancing and Strikers and has much fewer lines/less personality in the Persona 5 anime. I wish they would, though, because they made Narukami a really entertaining character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are no social links and there's no time management aspect. I don't know for sure if there's anything missable but I don't think so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had that feeling with Royal when I finally started it, too. Persona 5's whole vibe is oddly comforting to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Dynasty Warriors style games seem to consistently have their difficulty frontloaded so I'm not too worried.

On top of that, Persona games usually have pretty frontloaded difficulty, too. Doubling up on it here it seems

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The two criticisms I recall hearing after the Japanese release were:

- SP feels too punishing, especially given how strongly you're pushed to use it to break shields
- Joker is really overpowered, which is to be expected for a Persona game protagonist but feels kinda bad in an action-RPG where you can switch who you're controlling, because Joker too often is the "right" character to be manually controlling

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I'd have been totally fine if Joker just had his original Persona and they changed the purpose of the Velvet Room from fusing new personas to some other form of powering up your characters.

I think the Persona Q system could've worked, with everyone having their main persona and one sub-persona, but I guess it's harder to come up with a story justification for the non-wild card characters to have one extra persona when you're not doing a weird Persona Q crossover game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game has a pretty incredible soundtrack. The big climax boss theme (I won't link it because music spoilers but it's titled "Counter Strike") is now one of my favorite boss themes ever

(I also spoilered the title in case someone listened to it on the soundtrack already and doesn't want to know when it plays)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

I'm glad I read this thread to adjust my expectations for the game. I had assumed it was going to play like a regular musou game with persona affectations.

Yeah, it's basically the polar opposite: a Persona action-RPG with musou affectations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I think I will try to get back on P5R to see if I can shake this. In Vanilla P5 I got as far as shortly before the Hawaii trip. I just need to get as far as the base game ending (December?) and not necessarily the Royal additional content, right?

That's correct, though honestly the Royal content is so good I think it's worth the extra month or so of in-game time to experience it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I also heard that going from the Royal ending to Strikers is a little weird, character wise.

Eh, it's not so bad. To keep it spoiler-light: the new party members from Royal's third semester aren't in Strikers, but there are easy handwave reasons for both not to show up. Strikers was definitely written to follow vanilla P5 but it doesn't wildly contradict Royal, either.

You could think of both Royal's third semester and Strikers as two different sequel OVAs that don't reference each other but in the long run they'll probably both be considered canon.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 23, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can confirm from my recent P5R playthrough that Ryuji's VA is extremely good there, too. Max Mittelman does good work.

I've heard there were COVID-related dubbing difficulties with Strikers and some of the mixing might not be quite right which could be why Ryuji sometimes sound quieter than he should.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mittelman also plays Red XIII in FF7 Remake and knocks it out of the park. Looking forward to hearing more of him in part 2 whenever that is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In the original she also frequently does "make like a banana and split," "make like a tree and leaf," etc. puns. Definitely meant to come off as a little weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Can you get enough bond points throughout the game to level everything up? Also, when can you level the "increase bond" ability to 3? It has ??? and I want to make sure I have enough points to get it when it becomes available. The "restore HP and SP at the end of a battle" ability is also vague enough that I can't tell if it's worthwhile; depends how much SP it restores (and the ability to leave a Jail at any time makes it less useful than it would be in a regular Persona game).

It is not worth it. I think at max rank it's like 6 SP restored.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Choosing to believe Joker bought and then immediately wrecked a sports car.

He let Haru take it for a spin, forgetting that she does not know what a brake pedal is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Omobono posted:

New song for the final phase of the boss? :tviv:
(what's the title on the new one btw?)

It's called Counter Strike and it rocks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That song is one of my favorite boss themes ever now. It's one of the best "get loving PUMPED UP to KICK rear end" boss themes around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing about the Persona 5 portrayal of Personas is that they are masks this time, and I don't just mean that they literally take the form of the Phantom Thieves' masks when they're not summoned.

In Persona 5, and by extension Strikers, characters' initial Personas are almost always one of two things: either the character weaponizing the image others have of them, or the character manifesting how they want to be seen. Joker is seen as a criminal, so his initial Persona weaponizes that and manifests as a great and accomplished thief. Ryuji wears the mask of a violent loose cannon, and Ann the mask of a seductress. It works even for Futaba, treated like some kind of weirdo alien hacker genius, so she gets her own flying saucer that represents forbidden knowledge. Morgana, on the other hand, has a Persona that represents how he wants to be seen: as a valiant, heroic swashbuckler.

I like that a lot. Sometimes I feel like the modern Persona games play a little fast and loose with what a Persona is supposed to represent about its summoner--is it only one of many faces you wear, or is it the "truth" in your heart? It's never quite defined. Persona 5 has a clearer image of what a Persona is and plays with it pretty well.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 16, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Makoto is a bike because vroom vroom

Also in P5, every character has an evolved Persona for completing their Social Link, just like in P4 (and in Royal, they have an advanced form in January that combines their first two). Ryuji's is funny because Morgana calls him an ape as an epithet every now and then, and his second Persona is basically Sun Wukong.

Not even just basically--Ryuji's second Persona is the Japanese version of Sun Wukong. The name, Seiten Taisei, is a Japanese translation of the title Sun Wukong gave himself when trying to win the respect of the heavens.

Incidentally that's one of my favorite Personas in P5, both design-wise and fitting the character. Just a perfect Persona for Ryuji.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

So everyone here did a good job of answering my questions last time, and I appreciate it! One other thing I'm wondering though, how do other humans become aware of the Metaverse? It doesn't seem like just anyone can enter it, since not everyone using EMMA gets taken there. Likewise I assume the phone app they used in the first game didn't transport people there, but some people are aware of it, like I think they mention a couple of the later villains in P5 knew about Palaces and stuff. How did they get that knowledge? Did they work alongside their Shadows? Is there any way for a human to know what their Shadow is doing in the Metaverse?

The Metaverse is a topic of scientific research and something that a few people in a conspiracy know about prior to Persona 5. Futaba's mother researched it (it's a field of research called "cognitive psience"), for example. You still need a special power to be able to enter the Metaverse, but some of the villains in Persona 5 are aware of it and can use people who have that power to manipulate or kill people through the Metaverse.

There's also one villain in Persona 5 who has the ability to manipulate his Palace to a degree, sort of like how in Inception some people got training to resist the dream-intruders.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also as someone who currently doesn't have a way to play P5 and isn't sure if I want to sink hundreds of hours into a Persona game again, how good is the P5 anime? I know it probably differs from the game in some ways but is it good/bad/decent?

Decent, at best. It has its moments but it isn't a particularly good anime on its own. The Persona 4 anime is great, but the Persona 5 one is just... eh.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 18, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 4 Dancing is fully canon in the "this happened and everyone remembers it after the end" way, too.

The general rule is really that spin-offs should be assumed canon unless it's stated otherwise, even if sometimes they handwave it away with "and they all forgot at the end" stuff like the Persona Q games and Persona 3/5 Dancing.

As for being a pseudo-sequel, the Persona 4 Arena games do have actual plots and follow Persona 4, though they're less direct continuations than Strikers is.

My general assumption for the Royal/Strikers thing is that both should probably be considered canon in the long run, though this also won't matter at all unless there's a Strikers 2 because Persona 6 almost certainly won't make reference to anything from previous games beyond little background references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah okay, so the villains don't actually go in the Metaverse then? Is this because P5 seems to take the stance that Persona users are inherently good/noble? I'm kind of getting that interpretation from how Morgana explained it in this game, that it represents "your rebellious heart against the injustices of this world" or whatever, so an evil Persona user wouldn't really fit with that, unlike in P4 where the main villain was a Persona user.

Like was already pointed out, every Persona game has at least one villainous Persona user, and Persona 5 is no exception. P5 Persona awakenings tend to be fueled by defiance in the face of injustice, but what you do with that power doesn't have to be noble.

Sightly more specific: as a general rule, Persona users in P5 can't have a normal Palace, so any villain whose Palace you enter doesn't have a Persona, and a person entering their own Palace can have unpredictable effects.