Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Who's got two thumbs and is gonna pay extra for a digital deluxe thing that has no content I care for but unlocks in like fourteen hours? this guy

i swear this is some sorta SEGA tactic for spinoffs of huge "niche" games or something. Judgment was the exact same deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Game is fully loaded. In 10 hours ill control the joker, flick off his parents and move back to tokyo with his real family dammit. Then like 44 hours of filler. Or something like that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

Royal is absolutely worth finishing. Base P5's endgame is really good but Royal's endgame is on another level storywise.

I'm a total mark that will eventually get to it, but will either wait for it to be ten bucks and nothing else I'm interested in coming any time soon, or 20-30 bucks on the Switch so I can do most of the original content while in bed.

*phantom thief voice* im in

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 19, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It is so nice to be back in the P5 world, wow. Just feels amazing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The opening half hour feels like the game going "aw, you missed us? We missed you! :3:"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

What in the gently caress, this is already out? I had filed this in a "maybe sometime in 2022" mental category since last I checked an English release wasn't even announced.

it got announced like just a month or two ago. And the digial deluxe edition lets you play 4 days early.

It's pretty much just because covid caused delays on the dub voiceover (and Ryuji's still has issues, all his dialogue is mixed too low)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I'm loving this but the combat system feels a bit overwhelming, with every character having their own thing going on and having to manage personas and weaknesses in real time.

Yeah. The few musous i've played will usually trickle the characters in one at a time, but as a sequel to P5 you kinda immediately get 4 movesets and then the other four come on the next sequence. It's really overwhelming. Oh, and usually there's some risk-free missions to just experiment, meanwhile here it's "here's your huge dungeon. Do what you will with the eight movesets."

On the other side, Ryuji is loving precious, so the game is good.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 20, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Something I'm getting used to as I near the end of the first dungeon is that you gotta dodge for realsies. I'm too used to action games where you attack, do a perfect dodge and then press on with that, while here you do your strings and back off a mile or two depending on what the big enemies are doing.

Also invested on the "gain bond faster" ability twice and then dumped the rest into more SP and healing after ambushes. Wanna be able to shatter shields ASAP.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I thought i was ready for the first boss lol. Reworking my dudes and lamenting tthat i brought in haru for most of the dungeon when the boss is immune to her element.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm still at the "find clues" segment of the second dungeon, but yeah, this escapism rules. If the dub hadn't been delayed and this came out in like April 2020 then it would've combo'd beautifully with Animal Crossing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Been having a hard time getting into the game. Just isn't vibing with me despite adoring that first hour of being back in Persona 5. Ended up switching it to Easy just to get bosses done faster. I kinda just put in an hour and a half to two hours per session.

I'm gonna feed Ryuji some ramen after fixing this guy's arm, then blast off the third boss. Does the story get more interesting with the fourth boss? its been building up that they're the primary target the police wants, so hopefully it's better than the last two "we came into town, someone was being a huge dick, cast member feels for it, we fix things and keep moving"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yes, it abandons that weird formula right about the point you're at now

sweet, thank you!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh man. The story does get way better after Dungeon 3. The intermission and the setup was excellent, and I'm way interested in whatever the gently caress I'll discover here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I can't wait for P5S Royal that lets me loving kiss Ryuji already. It's the only option that makes sense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

ok, I got a good chuckle out of (dungeon 6) the calling card written by zenkichi just being boring cop poo poo

"We're going to bake back the des- ta-take!" "SKULL YOU HAD ONE LINE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beat Dungeon 7. Got some thoughts on the boss
I was kinda excited to see a neurodivergent character, even if it's kinda cliche in an AI story. Bummed me out that we basically had her doing the twist that her personality is her trying to appear normal, and then next scene she gets is showing that actually that's wrong and it's "just" the deep trauma she's endured her whole life. Like. It makes sense, and it's absolutely what this whole game is about super explicitly, but it sucks that she gets all of 20 minutes to explain her deal and spends most of it on the fake-out twist. In that way it's very persona 5 to seemingly be about to have a conversation of the real outcasts of society, only to dial it back to something safer. Ah well.
Everything about EMMA and Sophia? awesome. loving love AI stories where it gains sentience and becomes as god, and where it gains heart and truly reaches humanity-like state. The latter meaning having her own stand is rad AF. I do also love Sophia being the breaking and healing point for Ichinose is great. That which she built would absolutely hit the hardest.

I guess I'll defeat the final dungeon tomorrow.