Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm finding this pretty rough at points. Like, a fight will seem to be going fine and then within the space of 20 seconds my entire team will be dead and I'll have to slowly whittle down a big enemy as the last person. They seem quite bad at dodging attacks and spunk all their SP very quickly. I'm still early on though and have barely played any musou games so it's very possible I'm doing something wrong in the combat as well of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah so an update on my last post. I'm now at the first proper boss and she is absolutely pushing my poo poo right in, I got her down to half health on my second attempt and then she promptly wiped out my entire team with her sweeping dashy move. The next 3 attempts she killed 2 AI team members in the first minute of the fight cause they didn't bother dodging an attack and on the last one I just gave up for the night.

Anyone able to give any tips? I'm not terrible at games, when I'm controlling a character I'm dodging nearly all of her attacks but like, my team spends alot of their SP on the buffs when I apparently really just need pure healing and the shield breaker elemental spells and then eventually they get hit, go down and I lose their passive attacks that do the elemental damage, at that point it feels like a bit of a slog. Doesn't seem like there's any squad behaviour options either.

For the amount of work knocking her shields out, the damage with the all out attack as a reward feels not worthwhile. I didn't have much trouble with the miniboss right before this so felt like this would be alright. I guess I could go level a bit, might just give more of my team expensive, somewhat useless moves though (I assume they will be more useful when I have more SP to throw around tbf).

Edit: Clearly complaining on the internet worked, went back in and it was still tooth and nail but I got her down.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 20, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

There is something reassuring about coming back to the P5 setting.

Yeah getting back into the old stomping grounds and hearing that music was like a balm for my weary soul. Beaten the first dungeon now and I'm loving the road trip feel of the bit after.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
As expected, this game gets a lot better and more fun once your team have a few more skills, levels and the SP to use those skills. I've dumped a bunch of bond points into 2 levels of the "restore some health and SP after a battle" passive as well, the amount seems pretty low but it keeps you from getting into a fail spiral too badly I'm finding.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more I play the less it's grabbing me. Unless this changes after the first Palace I'm not a huge fan of how small each fight is so nothing feels very satisfying.

I've just finished the fifth dungeon and depending on how big you want the fights it might never get there for you. The dungeons after the first have had some big setpiece style fights like when you do a hack and some other bits but they're the exception generally with most being pretty small against like 10 or 15 little shadows and one or two bigger ones.

I'm really enjoying it personally so far, the only parts I dislike are the minibosses that are based on other shadows, those are the only ones where their health feels a little egregious sometimes and I struggled with that first boss as well. The characters really feel distinct and feel right for their personalities.

It does feel like it takes a few narrative shortcuts where like, the Phantom Thieves are very quick to jump on the first person they meet as the villain in each area and then sometimes you've had so little exposure to them that their "tragic" backstories fall a little flat. On the other hand they've cut out all of the repeating text conversation stuff so you take the good and you take the bad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I'm on the 6th dungeon now and (spoilers for the 4th and 5th ones)it's a shame that they're both short due to being more "plot" dungeons, I think the spooky lab could have been cool if they'd made it a bit more visually interesting and then had more of the Phantom Thieves getting freaked out, for some reason the "Makoto is a super badass who is scared of supernatural stuff" bit makes me laugh quite a lot. Then the old timey Japanese village dungeon is also a relatively cool theme that is truncated quite a bit whereas the previous 3 were kinda dull "oh the city around the castle is warped a bit to fit the monarch" things that were all quite similar. Wish they'd differentiated them more or extended the parts where you go inside the castle a bit for them and made each one pretty different to the others.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Finished the story, that last boss was kind of silly.

Platinum is going to be a grind though, holy gently caress. You need bond at 99 for the all skills trophy and I finished the game at 52, and that was with the increased bond exp skill maxed out ASAP.

I might just wrap up the post-game requests and call it done.

I read an achievement guide cause I got the platinum in Royal and thought it might be a fun thing in Strikers, apparently it takes 13 hours of straight grinding the last boss to get that bond rating up to max. So yeah, not gonna be doing that. Maybe it'd go up a decent amount playing new game+ and be a bit less tedious?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For what's it's worth you can also save it at the checkpoints if you come across one and then reload from there if you fail. Not the most useful but some of the spotlighted 2d sections are right after checkpoints so it's helpful there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It very much doesn't have that in the sense of you deciding what to do but to me the walking about town stuff between dungeons, doing road trip slice of life dialogue filled enough of the quota personally, like essentially the whole game between dungeons felt like extended social link scenes for the entire group which was pretty much good enough for me. If you want it to be time limited, to have discrete social links for the party again or to have little minigames and side stuff (not saying that's unreasonable to want, I just can't really word it differently) then yeah strikers isn't gonna do that unfortunately.