Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What in the gently caress, this is already out? I had filed this in a "maybe sometime in 2022" mental category since last I checked an English release wasn't even announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One upside to this game not accounting for Royal is that it means we get a remix of Last Surprise instead of the new Royal "ambushed an enemy" theme.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After struggling through the first "real" miniboss (I won but had to use a lot of items) I get the impression that you're supposed to use a lot of those melee combos that end in elemental attacks to exploit the enemy's weakness (since otherwise you run out of SP super fast)? I also had some trouble with dodging attacks. Some were clearly telegraphed, but I couldn't figure out others. It's kind of hard to keep an eye on what the enemy is doing while you're executing combos that cause you to move around a bunch. I'm wondering if it might make sense to be more passive and just wait for the bosses/mini-bosses to do attacks and then get in some of my own afterwards.

I enjoy Makoto's thing where she drives the bike into enemies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine it's because jumping back into the Jail also resets your Showtime meter, respawns enemies and gives you the chance to turn in requests. I get that it's a 'well it really does nothing, doesn't it', but it's just a part of the system that's gonna have to be handled.

I think I missed when the game explained Requests to me, because I killed some named Silkie and it said I completed a request that I didn't even know I had.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any way to get party members that aren't in your party to get XP (like a future bond skill)? I noticed they don't seem to gain XP when out of party.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This track that I think is the P5S version of Life Will Change is really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xad posted:

Both of the new characters are great and it's a very welcome surprise

Sophia is pretty funny so far. I didn't think I'd like her from her character design, but she has an amusing semi-deadpan sort of humor and meshes well with the rest of the cast.

ASenileAnimal posted:

their levels wont always be even but you can get them caught up fast in a few fights in whatever your latest dungeon is. its better to have an underleveled party member that can hit weaknesses because alot of the fights will be a slog if you cant.

Yeah, I ended up figuring out that it isn't very tough to keep everyone up to speed (and is kind of necessary due to SP limitations, at least early on).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Some of these minibosses are brutal. I've had trouble with the Archangel and the Mokoi. Both took retries, and the Mokoi fight ended with Haru on her own just barely eking out the win.

I had a lot of trouble with Archangel (I won first try, but used most of my healing items in the process) but had an easier time with Mokoi after changing my playstyle to just be really cautious and hang back from the boss and only get close to it immediately after it finishes an attack (and bail out the instant it starts a new attack).

Party members seem pretty good at avoiding attacks, so, at least for these early minibosses, it seems like you can basically hang back and play it safe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This one cutscene during the first jail made me realized that the original P5 (and P5R) don't actually have any "CG action cutscenes." The cutscene was cool so I hope they keep doing those in the future.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got owned by first jail boss (Alice). I just didn't have enough resources to keep myself alive, and the party apparently isn't great at dodging her attacks, so I kept needing to use resources to heal them. I got to her second phase, but ended up gradually running out of items until I could no longer keep my team alive.

My Joker is around level 15 and the party is ~13; judging from how much XP mobs give I imagine this should be high enough to fight this boss, but my damage seems low since it takes so long (and her attacks hit so hard). I also have the most up-to-date Personas (it's annoying that Hua Po just has Maragi though - that increased SP cost is brutal at this point, so I've still been using Jack's Agi, even though it probably does less damage).

Is there any good use to spinning around the pole during that fight? Seems like it might be a trap, since I've gotten owned when I tried it and she attacked near the pole (and it didn't seem to do much damage to start with).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tried first Jail boss again today, this time it actually went quite well and I only needed to resurrect someone once. The "trick" that ended up helping is that I would just mash the dodge button constantly while going side-ways across the map while she rolls around (which I had trouble visually following, though maybe I'm missing some sort of lock-on option). Doing so seems to cause her to always miss.

Can you get enough bond points throughout the game to level everything up? Also, when can you level the "increase bond" ability to 3? It has ??? and I want to make sure I have enough points to get it when it becomes available. The "restore HP and SP at the end of a battle" ability is also vague enough that I can't tell if it's worthwhile; depends how much SP it restores (and the ability to leave a Jail at any time makes it less useful than it would be in a regular Persona game).

Unrelated, but I just noticed that Persona have different elemental combo attacks. That's neat; I was expecting all Persona of a particular element to just have the same attack for that particular element. Some seem to do buffs as part of their combo, though said buffs are obviously really short.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that there are two Persona skill combo move things (square-square-triangle-triangle and square-square-square-triangle), so it's worth checking for every new Persona I make. Like I made Setanta recently who is Nuclear type, but both his combo attacks are different physical attacks.

In practice I find it kind of tough to actually execute those combos in boss fights (trying to do so seems to be a recipe for getting killed), but I'd prefer to make use of some of these neat combos instead of the boring strategy of just hanging back and using "regular" skills/magic. Lots of them look cool (like Makoto's one where she punches a bunch), but it's hard to find opportunities to do them.

I just finished the second boss and I'm liking this game's plot a lot. It also makes use of the characters in a way that feels a lot more "balanced" somehow. Despite the party being smaller for most of the original Persona 5, it constantly felt like various party members were kind of superfluous, but this does a good job of making the group as a whole mesh together well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The second boss was a lot easier than the first. I was actually able to easily get full combos against him, whereas I had to constantly hang back with the first since she'd attack you before you could finish one most of the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao this scene where the party all says "Hee ho!" (at least if you say it, not sure if they do if you don't)

Sophia's was the funniest

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

love that everyone itt chose the right option

This game has a lot of great Joker dialogue options.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In case other people also didn't notice, the SP difference between normal spells and their Ma- versions is only 2 SP. I didn't notice this for a long time and tried to avoid casting those spells because I didn't want to use more SP, but the SP difference is small enough that they're almost just flat upgrades.

I also found out that buff/debuff spells actually last a very long time. Only needed to cast them twice in the most recent boss fight (the Jail Warden for the 3rd dungeon).

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Oh, it still hits like a truck. The minibosses and boss are brutal. Luckily, like a true Persona game, the rest of it gets easier after this

I think that the reason those early bosses were brutal is that most of us didn't really understand how to play the game correctly back then.

Speaking of "the correct way," it's kind of a shame that the most effective way to play involves ignoring most of your characters' combos; you can basically get by with just using Persona abilities while focusing on avoiding enemy attacks. I still try to get in "active" combos, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just got to Okinawa. This game really does better with its story than original P5. It makes it feel like original P5 scenes had something "unbalanced" about them that is hard to articulate, but that was properly "balanced" in this game. I was also expecting that there would be like 2 or 3 more "episode of the week"-style areas before any significant plot happened, but it looks like there will be some interesting reveals in this chapter.

I'm starting to actually have a pretty easy time, though not so easy that I'm willing to go to Hard difficulty. It seems like you can basically survive indefinitely if you have a good amount of SP items (and those items become quite good with the Bond bonuses to items - they seem to do almost twice as much). I'll get hit sometimes, but it's relatively easy to deal with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are there any party members you won't really miss out too much if you just ignore them forever? I feel like there are too many

I thought the same thing early into the game (and I think asked it in this thread), but it's actually pretty easy to just cycle people in every so often. Every couple checkpoints I'll look at my party and cycle in the lowest level ones if they've out-leveled the others (unless I need people of specific elements for a boss).

It's good to have as many people that can hit a boss's elemental weakness as possible, and keeping everyone leveled lets you do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've mostly finished Azur Lane Crosswave so I'm back to this again. Real quick question, is using Persona Points in the Velvet Room the only way to level Joker's personas? I thought I'd level up Jack O Lantern and even after multiple fights where everyone else's Persona leveled up, it's still stuck at level 2. I had it equipped (since I know in most Persona games the ones you don't have equipped don't gain exp) so either they require enormous amounts of exp even at low levels, or I'm just wasting time trying to level them through battle. I feel like it's the second one, but I wanted to make sure.

You get so many Persona Points (especially after leveling the bond skill that increases masks dropped) that I can easily instantly level any Personas to my current level and keep doing so until they've learned all their skills (with the exception of Arsene who seems to continue to learn skills at much higher levels but is extremely expensive to level up that high).

History Comes Inside! posted:

Arsene has lovely stats even at high levels and isn’t worth keeping around when there are way better curse personas to use.

It's kind of weird that Arsene continues to learn skills at much higher levels, given his stats make him worse. I guess so that players can use him if they really want to go crazy with stat buff items or something. I got mine to 13, but getting him much higher than that costs seemingly exponentially higher amounts of points.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, I basically agree with this. The characters have all these cool combos, but the actual gameplay discourages you from using them (just using your skills and spamming SP healing items is usually most effective, and unlike regular Persona you can do things like just quickly and repeatedly spam an attack).

Badger of Basra posted:

I feel like there's something I'm not getting about how you're supposed to be dodging attacks in this game. I feel like in a lot of fights (especially bosses) I'm almost never able to complete a long combo because I get knocked out of the attack, and if you try to dash to avoid the attack you can't resume the combo from where you left off. Should I just not be using the longer combos on bosses?

This is the biggest flaw in the gameplay IMO. Doing combos is essentially completely unnecessary and unnecessarily puts you at risk.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ugh, I got a fusion accident twice when trying to make Pisaca, and the extra attempts set me back about 20k. So much for buying new weapons/armor for my party, that basically completely destroyed my funds. At the very least, it seems like fusion accidents give you a decent number of Persona XP points, I was able to max a few Personas I couldn't before they happened.

That's my one complaint is longer combos seem completely useless. In regular battles the enemies die too fast for long combos to be useful, and in boss battles the bosses attack too much for you to be able to use them. Anything past YYX might as well not exist.

I have yet to get a single fusion accident and I'm level 38 or 39 now.

Fortunately money stops being a big issue later into the game. I was running really low for the first couple dungeons (to the point where I never bought any equipment), but now I can at least easily afford Persona fusion stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 11, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

I expected Zenkichi and Makoto's dialogue together to be some pretty pro-cop cringe poo poo, but it was actually one of the best written bits in the game. The game initially presents him as manipulative and corrupt just like the rest, unconvinced of the groups ability to enact any kind of real justice, but that conversation and Zenkichi's underlying desperate plea to Makoto that if she actually wants to hold onto her sense of justice then becoming a cop is the worst thing she could possibly do is a phenomenal pivot point towards what he ultimately is in the story.

I like how you actually have (~5th palace spoilers) Zenkichi's boss as someone who isn't transparently evil in her motives and tells herself that she's "doing the right thing" and will change things from the inside once she has more power/influence, while still obviously doing bad things.

It's a pretty accurate representation of what happens IRL with positions of power like police or politicians. Someone has a bunch of personal incentives to cooperate with those in power, and they come up with whatever justification that allows them to still feel good about themselves ("if I play along, someday I'll have the power to change things!"). It's basically irrelevant what someone's intentions are, since in the end they're still facilitating a harmful system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A tip for anyone else who ran into the same issue - the "make it to location without increasing security level" requests can be easily done if you just shoot any risky enemies with your gun. At first I thought that the only way you could fight enemies without increasing security level was to ambush them, leading to some frustration for the Shinjuku one.

edit: Is it just me or are Charge/Concentrate not very good in this? It seems like the only thing they might be useful for is casting the top-level magics, since prior to that magic costs roughly the same amount of SP as Concentrate/Charge. In the original games they were a bigger deal because of things being turn-based.