Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I grew up flying dual-line stunt kites with my dad and own several of them for wind ratings ranging from 30 mph down to practically no wind at all, and a couple parafoil power kites for upwards of +30mph that I use to smash my frail body against hillsides. I also own an ultralight that can apparently be flown indoors, like inside a gymnasium using nothing but the HVAC, but I'm pretty sure that's bullshit and I got ripped off. I'll never know because it broke the second I breathed on it too hard and I'm never going to bother repairing it because I hate it.

Stunt kites are such a pathetically sad 80's hobby, I'm embarrassed to bust them out in public and I sicken myself when I take them out onto the lonesome rangeland like it's some kind of extreme sport. They're fun if you hate yourself, though. I used to fly formation with people three times my age, it's like water ballet for boring old dudes. I can do all kinds of dumb tricks like backflips and snap stalling into a half-axel followed with a coin flip into a lazy susan, which might sound stupid but believe me, it looks just like a kite getting all tangled up in it's lines as it flails around in mid air. Truthfully, it's the tactile feel of the wind at my fingertips and the power it can produce that's the entire draw for me, it's just a thing to do while you ride the vibe and feel the breeze in your hair. It's also a skill that translates pretty well into things that don't inherently radiate silliness, like kiteboarding or paragliding, unless you live in poverty like me and can't afford nice things. If you're a bougie bitch who has some money but not enough to buy yourself a personality, you can get a quad-line kite like like a Revolution and be lame in style. It compliments jorts and a jimmy buffet dress sense really well, and adults and children of all ages will flock to you in droves to ask about your weird expensive toy and to beg you to let them fly/break it, no matter how badly your desperation stinks or how much you wish they'd gently caress off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX10bu4A7mE

If you still want to see how deep this rabbit hole of sadness goes, Prism are good for beginners. They make relatively cheap single-line and dual-line kites that are weirdly durable for the price and easy to assemble and fly--I mean, they're toys for children how hard can it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU