Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kitfox88 posted:

Meat shields gotta stop dying I need my paycheck

You should've invested in my organ harvesting scheme when I gave you the chance. :smuggo:

BPD Organ market: If you're dyin' we're buyin' :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright AKZ is loaded as biologist, FreeMars is loaded as engineer, and i think everyone else is on the list for agent

Alright the day passes and we get the medbay moved out of the restricted zone. Pretty soon the base will be pretty well secured from attacks.

Infiltration is at 0%, so at least it seems like we did a good job on that last mission strategically if not tactically.

Apparently Xcom has been making some waves in the whole secret merc world and three goons are able to be hired.
Rabbi T. White, from the Iliad Institute (next door to the fancy apartment mission)
Vorebane, from Recyclotorium Two (across the street from the base)
SavageMessiah, from Thomas More Tower (a government owned slum outside the climate controlled part of the city)

All our agents are 100% confirmed Normal Humans so far. We have space for exactly one more agent before we need to build a new base, but we're also starting to get pretty low on cash. We also have a handful of nerd slots open. That slum Savage is coming from is actually available to buy for a mere $80k. We currently have $49k.

We also have too many agents to all fit into the combat training danger room, and I sort of feel like every fraction of a percent is going to be super important, so I'm calling it that the most advanced badasses need to get off the weight bench and on the brain bench.

Rookies suck rear end and need every chance they can get to harden the gently caress up, so our currently most improved hero Angry Diplomat is getting into brain training at the psi gym.

Diplomat's psi stats suck rear end, and unlike physical stats you're gated in potential, it's something like you can only advance 2-3x your starting stats. So that psi attack is never going to get even halfway to max, but I think it's more important to make sure everyone's getting some kind of improvement, and physical stats are much more important for weaker guys. All training is at 100% and when HWC gets out of medbay Lobotomy is also going to advanced brain training sponsored by skillshare.™ If for some reason training slots open back up these guys are gonna go back to pumping iron.

What else happens? Mozi is repaired. We redeploy our guys out into the city in case more UFOs appear.
http://i.imgur.com/V1OE5eQ.gifv
Mozi does a shitload of heavy lifting while Chrs and Plumps take out two others. I'm fairly sure we knocked out the entire incursion before they could drop aliens. We recover the wreckage, but there's nothing of research value.

There's a few more developments diplomatically. More orgs are getting pissed off at us, now Transtellar and Energen are unfriendly:

Energen, no big deal, but if Transtellar goes hostile we're not going to be able to transfer gear or personnel between bases. That's going to suck.

Biology finishes their investigation of the slug:

Next Biology Project:
  1. Brainsucker Pods: These pods contain a dormant Alien creature.
  2. Brainsucker Autopsy: This small Alien creature has been seen to attack humans by jumping on the head and gripping with all its limbs
  3. Multiworm Egg: A live Multiworm egg gives us an excellent opportunity to observe the Alien life cycle in progress
  4. Multiworm Autopsy: The Multiworm decays rapidly, consumed by its own defense mechanisms. If research is not undertaken soon then we will not be able to preserve the remains
  5. Hyperworm: The Hyperworm is a small, highly active carnivore.
  6. Anthropod Autopsy: The Anthropod is the Alien creature that most resembles the human form.
  7. Spitter Autopsy: This ungainly creatures has a huge funnel for propelling a deadly liquid.
  8. Spitter: The Spitter is humanoid in form but has a funnel shaped head.
  9. Advanced Biochemistry Lab: For researching advanced Alien organic technology.
Honestly the advanced lab is probably the choice to make on this one, because having one of those will double our research rate. Unfortunately it's expensive as gently caress and we'll have to buy a whole new base to build one. If we can pull it off, the faster we get this thing running the better. All the other alien samples we have are super common and will be easy to get more of.

If the lab wins and we don't have cash to build it by the time the blueprints are drawn up I'm going to implement HELL RAID MODE until we can afford it.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

go for the advanced lab imo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah this looks like one of those humps you just have to push over or die trying. Get the advanced lab.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To hell!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yes, give me the advanced lab :unsmigghh:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
advanced lab, you say?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

All that other poo poo is just telling us what we already know: aliens are gross and need to be put down, so go for the lab.

Also am I on the list for being an agent? Robot if possible to continue the family legacy. Or product line legacy, I guess.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Rookies suck rear end and need every chance they can get to harden the gently caress up, so our currently most improved hero Angry Diplomat is getting into brain training at the psi gym.

Diplomat's psi stats suck rear end, and unlike physical stats you're gated in potential, it's something like you can only advance 2-3x your starting stats. So that psi attack is never going to get even halfway to max, but I think it's more important to make sure everyone's getting some kind of improvement, and physical stats are much more important for weaker guys.

I think psi defense is more broadly important anyway, isn't it? You can just designate a couple of mutant brainlords with good scores to act as your spooky psi wizards, but if a decent agent gets hosed up and evil thoughts beamed into his brain, you're just kinda hosed.

What I'm saying here is that I have the potential to become the ideal point man: much too stupid to utilize, or be affected by, psionics.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

SavageMessiah, from Thomas More Tower (a government owned slum outside the climate controlled part of the city)

All our agents are 100% confirmed Normal Humans so far. We have space for exactly one more agent before we need to build a new base, but we're also starting to get pretty low on cash. We also have a handful of nerd slots open. That slum Savage is coming from is actually available to buy for a mere $80k. We currently have $49k.

Since you modded roads to be less of a deathtrap, did you mod slums to be less fragile? I remember putting bases in them being a pretty bad idea.

On the other hand, slumlord xcom.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lab lab lab

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

All that other poo poo is just telling us what we already know: aliens are gross and need to be put down, so go for the lab.

Also am I on the list for being an agent? Robot if possible to continue the family legacy. Or product line legacy, I guess.

yeah on list you got like 5 goons ahead of you

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think psi defense is more broadly important anyway, isn't it? You can just designate a couple of mutant brainlords with good scores to act as your spooky psi wizards, but if a decent agent gets hosed up and evil thoughts beamed into his brain, you're just kinda hosed.

What I'm saying here is that I have the potential to become the ideal point man: much too stupid to utilize, or be affected by, psionics.

psi is pretty rare as far as i've ever seen, but we'll see how things turn out in superhuman. Psi defense isn't really something that's going to not be useful, but for now physical attributes are still the most important.

SavageMessiah posted:

Since you modded roads to be less of a deathtrap, did you mod slums to be less fragile? I remember putting bases in them being a pretty bad idea.

On the other hand, slumlord xcom.

i'm pretty sure most things are the same weakness as before. In this map the slums are actually some of the most expensive buildings anyway.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Voting for the lab from a lab. Let the field guys deal with funding. I need some space to boil this slime down. Sniper if I know you you're down for some slime boiling action.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This seems fairly relevant, has anyone in the thread played it and can confirm/deny if it's worth the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzXl2WPz8s

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just finished playing XCOM2[newer]. Can I get in on this action? I wanna waste all my time in the psygym. At the rate people are dying I assume I'll eventually get my 15 minutes. (Assuming the world doesn't get conquered)

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 27, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mind the walrus posted:

This seems fairly relevant, has anyone in the thread played it and can confirm/deny if it's worth the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzXl2WPz8s

dunno. Seems like you could really end up totally boned and running out of air and stuff like that. might be a pretty good one if they have the atmosphere down. Seems pretty slow paced

War Wizard posted:

I just finished playing XCOM2[newer]. Can I get in on this action? I wanna waste all my time in the psygym. At the rate people are dying I assume I'll eventually get my 15 minutes. (Assuming the world doesn't get conquered)

Still doing my best to remember to add people to the list, like usual if i accidentally skip anyone lemme know.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
I just found out you rebooted the thread, so i'm volunteering again.

I like grenades and don't mind charging in ahead of the rest. If the mission needs replaceable personal then i'm your man! Last tour i had some good kills but only joined late in the game, so (sort of) ground floor this time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Draadnagel posted:

I just found out you rebooted the thread, so i'm volunteering again.

I like grenades and don't mind charging in ahead of the rest. If the mission needs replaceable personal then i'm your man! Last tour i had some good kills but only joined late in the game, so (sort of) ground floor this time.

on list

Hail Satan, we made it through the first week!

Alright, everything looks good, there's no alien activity, we got more cash. Obviously the aliens will send something INSANE so we gotta arrange our air crew and probably get more ships online. I don't know the level of insanity but we were very lucky in the first week and this tends to piss them off but good.

Should we focus on good quality ships, or just crap out as many cheapo ones as we can afford?

Meanwhile some of the gangs get pissed and fight each other:
http://i.imgur.com/tKH1U1w.gifv
wish these assholes would use their ships to fight the goddamn aliens. Psyke also launches an attack against the cops.

We don't have time for this poo poo:

Right it will take several days to complete, so first
    Next Biology Project:
  1. Brainsucker Pods: These pods contain a dormant Alien creature.
  2. Brainsucker Autopsy: This small Alien creature has been seen to attack humans by jumping on the head and gripping with all its limbs
  3. Multiworm Egg: A live Multiworm egg gives us an excellent opportunity to observe the Alien life cycle in progress
  4. Multiworm Autopsy: The Multiworm decays rapidly, consumed by its own defense mechanisms. If research is not undertaken soon then we will not be able to preserve the remains
  5. Hyperworm: The Hyperworm is a small, highly active carnivore.
  6. Anthropod Autopsy: The Anthropod is the Alien creature that most resembles the human form.
  7. Spitter Autopsy: This ungainly creatures has a huge funnel for propelling a deadly liquid.
  8. Spitter: The Spitter is humanoid in form but has a funnel shaped head.
Possibly the worm or egg or whatever is a good pick but it doesn't matter overly much, we're going to want to get all of these figured out asap. There's a way to beeline advanced tech depending on research order, but i don't recall it.

Next is NEW BASE TIME! The yellow one is our current base, and the red one is the potential new base. Our options are:

Warehouse Ten.
Pros: other side of the city, easy to defend
Cons: slightly less floor space

Warehouse Eight.
Pros: slightly more facility space for the same price
Cons: harder to defend, pretty close to our existing base

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
egg and ten

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm gonna guess the worm corpses don't actually vanish like the description implies so research idk the egg I guess and yeah go for 10 because defense is gonna be important.

Edit: no wait research the brain sucker so we can advance to the dizzy heights of "a helmet that actually protects your head" assuming that is even possible

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Brainsucker and 10

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Egg and ten also

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:10bux:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm gonna guess the worm corpses don't actually vanish like the description implies so research idk the egg I guess and yeah go for 10 because defense is gonna be important.

Edit: no wait research the brain sucker so we can advance to the dizzy heights of "a helmet that actually protects your head" assuming that is even possible

our current setup seems pretty strong idk?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Engineering votes for 10 and egg because objecting to votes cast by people armed with laser guns is above my paygrade.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Base ten for sure. Probe whichever alien gets us to heavy plasma equivalent sooner.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Egg and ten.

We should poo poo out a bunch of bikes.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Ten and egg

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Voting 10, but also gonna vote lone hyperworm because that name is alluring as hell. Gonna always vote that one until we do it.

dunno. Seems like you could really end up totally boned and running out of air and stuff like that. might be a pretty good one if they have the atmosphere down. Seems pretty slow paced
Took the plunge and so far I'm digging it for $15. It's definitely way less ambitious than even the most modest X-COM. The scale is very small and it's clearly an indie budget. That said they aren't reaching for the moon and clearly know their fundamentals. So far the UI/UX is really engaging and I'm enjoying the progress. I've done about 3 main missions and 1 side mission, and so far things are progressing exactly as they need to. The air mechanic is interesting because it's not flat suffocation, but hypoxia which lowers your sanity meter. Having worked in hospitals with people that's... actually kind-of accurate. Only found myself in a tight spot with that once so far though, and it was because I sent one guy off to lone wolf explore a wing of the map.

I also tried to pick up Terror of the Deep off Steam and mod it, and I'm sorry but it's near-impossible for me to pick up fresh. I'm sure it works really well when you're used to it, but I'm just not. And while modern X-COM is slick, it also has that really bad 2010s trend where every game assumed it was just ok to have UI/UX transitions take forever and a day to happen because it looked pretty.

What I'm worried about is that there won't actually be that many missions overall for content and the primary goal of the game is to run different builds-- sounds fine, but the tech tree thus far is boring as paint outside of crew mutations, combat needs a little variety, and resources are (correctly) scarce.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
TFTD is arcane as gently caress, if you haven't played it before you'd almost for certain have to find a way to redo the UI to make any form of sense, it's not modern at all. I mean even apoc has hire/fire, buy/sell -- the older ones are iirc hire/buy and sell/sack. Equipping your guys is a huge pain in the rear end. Even just navigating around the game requires reading the manual. poo poo even with Apoc I had to stop and go back and read part of it. I think there might be some kind of keyboard shortcuts that operate the loadouts but gently caress if i ever used them.

Also for people thinking about picking up Apoc, supposedly there's some kind of difference between the original versions and the Steam / GOG versions that involve the mysterious BRAIN.DAT file.

I don't even know if I have my original CD version still, the actual disks are for certain lost or corrupted, and if I do have the image it's gonna take archeology to find.

possibly-true rumors posted:

It appears that only certain versions of the game have what is described in the Apocalypse Technical Manual as a "Learning AI". Currently only the UK/EU Original CD-ROM and the 1.03 version of the North American / RotW release are known to employ this functionality. Digital Distributions such as Steam and GOG.com include the files but they do not appear to have an effect on the gameplay.
Presumably there's a way to start a new install and monitor these files to see if they get changed and do whatever analysis to know what the hell's going on here. We're talking about a game that was released drat near 25 years ago, though. A lot of things about the game are common knowledge but at the same time aren't really confirmed.

Seems pretty clear that this run goons are v egg centric. The east side base also is pretty much a landslide.

We're going to need at least two living quarters, an alien containment, general storage, and possibly some kind of agent training facility. Now is the time where the base is the most vulnerable, because if it gets raided there's nothing to keep anyone from rampaging and blowing up the construction zones. I actually do not even know what would happen if it was attacked right now, tbh.

Normally I would have androids move in to guard the construction, because they can't train anyway, but we don't have any androids at all, and none are available for hire. Out of an abundance of caution i'm going to have some agents and BIG TIT LIL NIP guard the place anyway. Whoever goes out to do this is going to get zero combat training for at least 5 days. Any volunteers?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lots of bikes with guns, many tiny eggs in no baskets at all is how Xcom won the last two wars

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

our current setup seems pretty strong idk?

Every time I see this picture I laugh my rear end off. I’m sure that guy is like 3 foot 2.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I will guard. This will free room in psi training for others, and will give me something to do while I wait for my sword.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Angry Diplomat posted:

I will guard. This will free room in psi training for others, and will give me something to do while I wait for my sword.

One agent should be more than enough, right?
http://i.imgur.com/4LQFfkz.gifv

Anyway there's a few interesting things available gear wise, but I'm not going to waste any more money for now.

:siren: UFO SPOTTED :siren:
http://i.imgur.com/esUPo87.gifv
The aliens have upgraded. It's all BIG BOYS now. We get lucky because one comes out alone and gets downed by an insane hail of missiles thanks to Plumps & Mozi, and the horrifying bulletstorm from Starblade and Chrs get the other purp.

We very nearly are able to take down one of the other UFOs but as soon as the second purple crashed they put on the warp speed and escape. Starblade did a poo poo gently caress ton of indiscriminate damage to all UFOs in range. I don't think they dropped any aliens into the city itself.

There's 0% chance i was going to let Chrs take more from those mega energy cannons they have, we need a powerful flight capable troop transporter to recover these, and one more shot would have been game over. There's absolutely no way such a big UFO isn't crewed.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if you can't hang with the cars... stay off the road :c00l:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The aliens have upgraded. It's all BIG BOYS now. We get lucky because one comes out alone and gets downed by an insane hail of missiles thanks to Plumps & Mozi, and the horrifying bulletstorm from Starblade and Chrs get the other purp.

We very nearly are able to take down one of the other UFOs but as soon as the second purple crashed they put on the warp speed and escape. Starblade did a poo poo gently caress ton of indiscriminate damage to all UFOs in range. I don't think they dropped any aliens into the city itself.

lol how near the end the UFOs seem to decide to just spray shots randomly to ruin someone's day

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This thread made me reinstall the game myself. It was one of my faves growing up.

Make me a biologist, if possible. My username seems predestined for that. If not, a troop will do.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Looks like we need a swarm of bikes armed with missiles to take down the fast brown UFOs. We might accidentally blow up parts of the city too, but that’s the price we’re willing to have someone else pay.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Buy some of the Megapol Plasma Guns. Those things slap if you can afford the ammo. loving big Elerium, am I right?

Any maybe some Marsec chest units so one of our goons can die shiny and chrome on the fury road in the air outside a tenement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you came to earth, you came to meet ol' smokey is what I tells em

Now you boys listen to me,

what now? Hang on load me up