Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/fanbytemedia/status/1550503468737208322?s=21&t=gW_Mg0TUJzm4aVqSKy7nJg

this is very dumb. I get that it includes the wildly overpriced DLC but what else could they possibly be doing to “remaster” this game? It’s already a remaster/upgrade of a PS3 game that looks incredible for reasons related to art and design as opposed to power, what on earth is 60fps and more processing really gonna add?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Today was July 24, so you know what that means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRve-rYKrlI

July 24 is literally just the intro but I had to catch up since I was lazy in preparing for this and fought all 13 challenge bosses you need to unlock NG+ today to get set up lol

I look forward to revisiting some of the recipes from "Joker's Kitchen"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not me instinctively going "Well I can stay up a little while longer, cat."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Merciless difficulty is kind of a pain lol, everything is so spongy, and dying in one hit is kind of brutal since in this intro sequence you have to do the whole thing over? Maybe it will be less of an issue once I actually get save points back

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://www.twitter.com/HexenVexen/status/1552004352952438787

We've got a fan translation of eternal punishment PSP finally

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally A reason to use my vita again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MagusDraco posted:

https://www.twitter.com/HexenVexen/status/1552004352952438787

We've got a fan translation of eternal punishment PSP finally

Hell yes

I was unreasonably annoyed by not being able to play the whole duology in the same "format"

Gaius Marius posted:

Finally A reason to use my vita again

My Vita's battery exploded :negative:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What does EP PSP really add?

I think it did something with Tatsuya's story while he's gone for 85% of the game? Dunno if it's "canon" though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably has Zio instead of Jio

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ep psp has QoL and little extra doo dads added, and the tatsuya story is p much filling u in on what he was doing (im like 75% sure its 'canon')

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NikkolasKing posted:

What does EP PSP really add?

I think it did something with Tatsuya's story while he's gone for 85% of the game? Dunno if it's "canon" though.
Probably has the names of the P1 legacy characters match the PSP localization of P1 instead of the Revelations: Persona "Americanized" names.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this is only tangentially related, but this is from the editor of the other epp patch that was being worked on (later in its stated apparently no work was stolen at least, thank goodness, but it seems like the person who just released their own patch cut and run from this one??)

https://twitter.com/cj_iwakura/status/1552073915060654081

and yea afaik the goal of the epp patches is to just standardize p1 char names and spell names while using the og ps1 tl as a base, with fresh new tling for the new stuff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iwakura should've worked faster.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Iwakura should've worked faster.

ehhh, imo u can't really rush these things u know? tling and editing and hacking games seems p tough, so.

i dunno much about tler etiquette or anything but ghosting a group to cut and run and do your own patch feels a bit shady, tho honestly as long as nothings stolen then i guess thats all it is and, kinda rude, possible fallout drama aside??

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If someone can leave your group and then finish the whole project before your group while stealing nothing, then you don't get to complain on the internet.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

If someone can leave your group and then finish the whole project before your group while stealing nothing, then you don't get to complain on the internet.

man i dunno that seems incredibly bad faith to me considering how the statement just broke an hour ago and fan tls tend to take a while in like, general

idc who released theirs first just as long as its good honest work and nothings stolen, having 2 patches would be p cool overall

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In some other news I was really surprised that Atlus released the results of their survey today and the #1 answer for "what was the first Persona game you played?" was Persona 1. Even though it made me remember that P1 apparently sold really well in Japan I figured most people started playing around the PS2 games or even 5 given how Atlus mostly pretends that 1 and 2 didn't exist outside of series anniversary stuff.
For SMT series it was SMT1 but that one is somehow less surprising.
Though I guess people who bother to fill out the survey are not really representative of normal fans and a lot of them are grognards who fill it out so they can demand Atlus remake Jack Bros. on the PS5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

P1 was the best selling persona game until P5

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

huge persona 1 fan excited to play it for first time

but real talk a remake of p1 and 2 would be p win; tho i feel like atlus tends to be pretty conservative with their remakes (i guess remasters is more fitting?)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Booky posted:

huge persona 1 fan excited to play it for first time

but real talk a remake of p1 and 2 would be p win; tho i feel like atlus tends to be pretty conservative with their remakes (i guess remasters is more fitting?)

They KINDA attempted that with P1, but they ended up sucking out any of the interesting atmosphere that the original one really relied on, while also not fixing gameplay issues or mechanics in any meaningful way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

P1 was the best selling persona game until P5

As a fellow MGS fan I'm sure you are aware sales don't necessarily reflect popularity or influence, at least not on their own. MGS2 sold more than MGS3 by a decent margin but 3 was always way, way more popular while MGS2 had a vicious hatedom for a solid decade.

Nobody really seems to care much about 1. Even when old schoolers talk up pre-Nu Persona, it's P2 they champion. And Nu Person is the one which has had a real impact on the gaming community.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We aren't Japanese though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sigh.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:laffo:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I don´t get it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

IceBorg posted:

I don´t get it

They translated onee-sama to big sis.

The joke is that the person in the picture thinks this is awful

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, the fan translation (above) uses the japanese word when the original localization (bellow) didn't.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
More localisations that look like 20 year old anime fansubs imo. Just an entire screen of footnotes like 'pinku = Japanese word for pink'

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't it the opposite, the 4:3 screenshot is the official psx translation, while the wide-screen one is the psp fan patch? Or is this IS and not EP?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

the sex ghost posted:

More localisations that look like 20 year old anime fansubs imo. Just an entire screen of footnotes like 'pinku = Japanese word for pink'

"When they say the word 'date' they do not necessarily mean a romantic date as a Westerner understands the term but rather it can mean any kind of outing including romantic as 'date' is a loneword borrowed from the English language and furthermore you will find"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I figured this was obvious but yeah to clarify: The (1st) widescreen shot is of the yesterday released fan-translation of the PSP version (which by their own admission supposedly just uses the PSX script), while the (2nd) 4:3 one is of the 2000 PSX official translation. The fan-translators, for whatever reason, injected Japanese sentence fragments into sentences that the PSX translation had in perfectly fine English.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I figured this was obvious but yeah to clarify: The (1st) widescreen shot is of the yesterday released fan-translation of the PSP version (which by their own admission supposedly just uses the PSX script), while the (2nd) 4:3 one is of the 2000 PSX official translation. The fan-translators, for whatever reason, injected Japanese sentence fragments into sentences that the PSX translation had in perfectly fine English.

That makes it more 'authentic' to a lot of fansubbers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be "fair" the use of things like name suffixes are pretty much part of the P4/P5 style guide at this point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
less defensibly i think 90% of the uses of "big bro" and "big sis" I've seen in the last decade have been from jrpg/vn/anime translations, i think it comes off just as artificially as inserting the untranslated term lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be "fair" the use of things like name suffixes are pretty much part of the P4/P5 style guide at this point

Speaking of which, this reminds me how in the Innocent Sin fan translation they don't do the fancy and at this point somewhat iconic "I am thou, thou art I..." It's just you are me and I am you or whatever. It's not a big deal at all or anything, just stuck out to me, especially since the official translation has the thou and all that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
doesn't the JP use elevated text for that spiel too? Lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

doesn't the JP use elevated text for that spiel too? Lol

Yeah, it's extremely formal in Japanese. "Ware wa nanji, nanji wa ware" does translate as "I am you, you are me" but they're really formal versions of "I" and "you." "I am thou, thou art I" is a good way to translate the mood of it. Modern English doesn't really have formal and informal versions of pronouns so making it archaic is a good approximation.

The fun twist is that, in its original usage, "thou" was the informal version and "you" was more formal (and also plural). But because it's archaic it sounds the opposite to us today. That kind of divide still exists in lots of languages, where the plural version of the second-person pronoun is also used as the formal singular second-person, but not in English anymore.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 27, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea afaik modern persona locs (including ISP, which even had a little guide in the manual explaining a few) keep the honorifics

im not sure if ISP kept 'onee sama' tho, i'd have to check

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No one bats an eye that localized Nanako calls MC her “big bro”, and I’d say for a translation that’s the objectively correct choice over having her say “onii-san” in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just change it to 'bro' and have nanako be from new jersey