Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This started playing in my head as soon as i opened this thread.

At the Hollow Forest dungeon now in P4G and hoo boy, the mechanics make this an absolute slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And also Marie is Best Girl.

StupidIhateyoublockhead!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm personally on Team Yukiko for P4G. Chie's the plucky girl best friend, Rise's constant 'Senpai!' got grating, and Marie's too weird.

The other options are eh, but special mention to Ayane as a huge HELL NO.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jen X posted:

Naoto is pretty good.

Even if that arc is...poorly handled.

She just comes in way too late to be a factor and the arc is rushed as a result.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Speaking of localization, P4G's English voice acting seems indicative of the era when the game was released.

Most of the investigator crew's English voices sound too old for the characters they're dubbing. I ended up switching to the Japanese dub after getting called Senpai in Rise's 'way too husky voice for a 15-year old' for the umpteenth time.

Playing FF7R last year really brought home for me how far the English voice acting for jRPGs has come since.

E: VV Goddammit, I've got more RPGs in my backlog I gotta finish first! Thank gently caress P5R was 50% off last month though, so it's ready to go once I've cleared my backlog out.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 21, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

can i play p5r on anything but my playstation 4?

Not at the moment, but P5R released end of March last years on PS4. There could be a new platform release announcement in a month or so.

P5R and FF7R getting announced for PC back-to-back could be huge for Steam sales.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Finally got past Hollow Forest. That dungeon can go gently caress itself.

A few more hours, and I'll be done with P4G. Loved the slice of life aspect of the gameplay, and the soundtrack was fire.

My main gripe so far has been that most the MC's personas kinda felt like typical RPG equipment in that there were a lot of them and that there wasn't a lot to distinguish a persona from another aside from better stats/spells so you just upgrade for better numbers. I think I would have liked it more if there were fewer personas but each was more unique and brought distinct pros/cons when equipped. Still, this is a pretty minor issue and I really liked almost everything else about this game.

Got P5R on sale last month, so that's gonna get played once I clear out my current RPG backlog.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I mean, FF7 Remake took the Honey Bee scene which was originally a transgender/cross dress gag and turned it into a really amazing dance/music number and genuinely emotionally up-lifting scene about breaking gender norms.

It was...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Teddie's personality quirks start making more sense when you consider he's probably emulating Yosuke on how a man would behave in the outside world.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Just in case, there's another dungeon after Hollow Forest (it's incredibly easy to miss it though)

Yup, nearly missed it (would have missed it entirely if I hadn't made an extra save and decided to double-check everything).

Shockingly straightforward dungeon for being the very last one, considering the weird gimmicks Magatsu Inaba and Hollow Forest had.

Saved at the top floor - now to finish the final boss fight and enjoy the aftermath.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Saved at the top floor - now to finish the final boss fight and enjoy the aftermath.

...and, clear.

Almost 71 hours into P4G, and I enjoyed most of it. In comparison to the other game I completed this year to date, I think I liked Valkyria Chronicles 4 a bit more, but I think that mainly came down to having missed playing an sRPG for the longest time.

This was my first foray into the Persona series, and I really liked the Jungian setting and am looking forward to exploring it a bit more with P5R.

What was with that reference to a prior visit by the MC in May that was mentioned during the epilogue?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What ultimately made me pick Yukiko over Rise in my playthrough was the respective turning points in their S-Links.

Yukiko realizing how much she loves the inn and the people in it after being hassled by the tabloid reporter was more relatable than Rise realizing how much she loved being Risette after her agency replaced her with another idol.

At that point, I was only about midway through my S-Link with Naoto and I was already getting weirded out, while Chie's S-Link progression was more like helping a buddy out rather than anything else.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's not really that, it's more that she got burned out and felt people only like her for her stage character, not the real her. And then her old manager throws in her face how talented she was right after she said no for the final time, which makes her realize she's done a lot of hard work to get where she was, and realized she may have acted rashly. So now she's burned out and depressed.

None of this gets into just how troubling the whole idol-career is in modern Japan anyway.

When I said I found it less relatable, I was referring to the the idol industry and everything that comes along with it, including the objectification. Recalling her soda commercial at the beginning of the game and realizing after she was introduced as a character that her agency had a 15-year old pose suggestively in a bikini to sell soda was what cemented it for me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've had the Hollow Forest theme playing in my head on and off all day. That song is haunting.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Even with Megidolaon, Naoto's damage in boss fights pales in comparison to the others if they have their Boost+Amp skills learned.

My endgame build with Chie was pretty much physical-oriented (Power Charge+God's Hand plus Hassou Tobi made quick work of the final boss), while Kanji gets Maziodyne+Primal Force and Teddie has Mabufudyne to make up for Chie's lack of elemental coverage.

Yosuke was an endgame mainstay mainly because Youthful Wind is a crazy busted buff.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So the 2018 Joker announcement for Smash Ultimate with accompanying Youtuber freakouts just popped up on my YT recs.

Having only just finished P4G as my first foray into the Persona series and having gotten back into console gaming only last year, that vid had me curious. Was P5's release really that huge in the US that the characters became well-known even to casual gamers?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

While listening to the P4G OST, I Iooked up the lyrics to the Heaven dungeon theme.

""Still music keeps on tuning me from the words that hurt my soul, removing doubts from my mind..."

That put Nanako's love for the Junes theme into a depressing new light.

Anybody else speedrun that dungeon on the first day or was it just me?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm gonna bet pretty much everyone did. You should be one-daying dungeons by that point anyway but of course I had extra, EXTRA motivation to finish it immediately.

The moment I realized she had been thrown into the TV, istg Doom's Rip & Tear started playing in my head.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's 10 years after P4. Nanako is 16 and in the middle of her second year at Yasogami High School.

Of course Yu 'Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel' Narukami will not be anywhere else but in Inaba at this point in time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I swapped over to Japanese for a bit in P4G and immediately turned it off when I heard Rise's voice.

RillAkBea posted:

I had a similar reaction when I heard some of the English VA saying senpai over and over. :gonk:

anakha posted:

Most of the investigator crew's English voices sound too old for the characters they're dubbing. I ended up switching to the Japanese dub after getting called Senpai in Rise's 'way too husky voice for a 15-year old' for the umpteenth time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I liked her voice acting in more badass-girl roles but it didn't work for me here. :shrug:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Had that feeling when I completed P4G. I kinda wish a true sequel would be made and set a few years later so I can spend some more time with the cast.

If I were Atlus, due to possible demand, I would have a sequel to P4 and P5 in my 'break in case of emergency' backburner, kind of like what Squeenix had with FF7R.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dungeon crawling means jumping into FYAD.

Lowtax as final boss.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

E: VV Goddammit, I've got more RPGs in my backlog I gotta finish first! Thank gently caress P5R was 50% off last month though, so it's ready to go once I've cleared my backlog out.

gently caress you thread for making me start on P5R despite my already long-as-hell backlog. :v:

Taking my sweet time getting used to the new mechanics - nearly 5 hours in and I've only just gotten Ann's Persona. My completionist rear end wouldn't let me leave the dining hall until I'd gotten every Persona available up to that point.

I like the new approach to getting new Personas compared to the RNG-fest that was P4G's Shuffle Time, although their natures are giving me Pokemon vibes.

The English dub has indeed been fantastic so far - I just hope I don't drown in 'Sempai's later. I haven't decided yet if I find Morgana more annoying than Teddie.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's only April 19th and Ryuji's already exponentially more likeable than Yosuke ever was.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dumb but loyal jock beats homophobic wannabe ladies' man any day in my book.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm undecided if I prefer the male voice doing the "I am Thou" catchphrase in P4 or the female voice doing it in P5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Spent almost 5 hours of gameplay in Kamoshida's castle and just got to the throne room for the first time.

This is a shockingly complex dungeon for being the first one in the game, especially in comparison to Yukiko's castle in P4.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

On a lighter note...

It's still very early in the game but I'm already feeling slightly let down by the P5R soundtrack, but mainly that's because I liked the P4G soundtrack so much.

Running around town with Signs of Love or Your Affection playing in the background feels more fun compared to Beneath the Mask.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

How far into the game are you? The third semester has some of the best music in all of P5 imo.

It's been a couple of days after clearing Kamoshida's Castle, so like I said earlier, still very early in the game.

Harrow posted:

I think I prefer Persona 4's "hanging out around town" music but Persona 5's dungeon and battle music. They both have great soundtracks but something about P5's battle and dungeon themes just hits me just right.

Yeah, I will say that the dungeon music in Kamoshida's Castle was :krad:. The battle theme is still a tie for me, but I like the P5R victory theme a little bit better.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 18, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Really, Mementos is what's going to inevitably overlevel you (and fill your pockets to overflowing with money) if you engage with it at all

I... think I might have stumbled onto what you were referring to here.

I was taking on the miniboss shadow in the required Memento event on May 7th, and cast Pulinpa via Mandrake on it to catch a breather while I healed the party up. Then it started spitting out money and items at me :psyduck:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Royal is going to make even this look small because of a combination of two features. First, Ryuji has a confidant ability that lets you instakill Shadows you sprint into in Mementos if you're stronger than they are, and the requirement there is not as high as you'd think.

I may or may not have intentionally rushed Ryuji's Social Link to get Insta-Kill before completing Madarame's Palace. :v:

However, I'm getting mixed results trying to trigger it in the Palace. I make sure via Third Eye that the Shadow is green, then I try to sprint into it. Half the time it triggers, half the time I end up running past the Shadow and triggering the alarm instead. Is there something I'm missing when I try to use this skill?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, didn't know Takemi was romanceable. Kinda creepy when you think about it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LOL, I'm still in early June in-game. That just means a lot more hilarity to come.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah I was gonna say Kanji doesn't fit in too well under the Emperor arcana given that description.

Yosuke, Yukiko and Dojima seem to fit their respective Arcanas, but Margaret as Empress is another stretch.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually I wanna know how a dude bringing his cat everywhere just slips under the radar.

Therapy pet :woof:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just starting the Futaba Palace infiltration, and I'm starting to do a 180 on Ryuji, who's been acting more and more like an idiot.

I hope he improves later on, because constantly talking loudly about the Phantom Thieves in public and activating the app inside the Sakura residence isn't making a good case for him.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oh, hey, Yusuke's hanging out in the cafe. Lemme go grab an Emperor persona real quick and save my game...

What? I can't go back in the cafe unless it's for a meeting?

gently caress you game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I had to reload for that during my last P5R playthrough too. :sigh:

Even worse, I wrote over my previous save and the most recent one I had left was the one from before my 4-hour jaunt through Mementos. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My first run-in with the Futaba Palace boss in one image:

The storyline at the end of that Palace was pretty uncomfortable for me, but I guess that was the intention.