Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. I find the early game dungeons are the hardest in general, especially playing on harder difficulties. Once you get some good persona choice and abilities in your toolkit, the game gets easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Teddie warms the bench.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn’t really mind Morgana outside his obsession with Ann, and his outright hostility towards Ryuji. Friendly banter is one thing and a sassy cat bickering with Ryuji in a friendly way is one thing, but he was outright vitriolic and couldn’t take it back.

gently caress teddie. Didn’t mind his arc but hated most of his character.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GCValentine posted:

Is hard worth it for a first playthrough in P5? I wanted to have combat strategy mean more but it seems like Morgana gets consistently one-shot by midboss/stronger shadows using their special physical attacks. I tried just having him defend except when there was a status on the enemy, but if he acts and they recover he just gets one shotted :smith:

Does stuff like this continue in hard difficulty as you get farther in, or will damage get less swingy as party members level up?

I don't remember Morgana being that fragile, but as the game progresses you will unlock skills that let you swap party members in battle, and other things that might mitigate the issue, like buffs/debuffs. Really you shouldn't be too worried about characters dieing except for really special attacks, or getting hit by weaknesses.

That said I thought hard was a good fair challenge, but I have like 5 p3 clears, and 4 p4 clears by the time 5 came out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Acerbatus posted:

I also died once because loving Ryuji Harisen Recovery'd my Hunger and I got burg'd.

Every. God. drat. Time.

Just let me eat the loving burger Ryuji.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The male route's fine, and you don't the weird disconnect of Junpei being your best friend during your social link, then a giant pissbaby 5 minutes later.

You also can't date Ken on the male route, so points awarded on his side. You just get a different bunch of awful links.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
p3p fem route also gets Danger Zone instead of Master of Tartarus, which is a huge upgrade. Really solid either way though.

I also liked being able to switch weapons in 3. Like, it was probably unoptimal, but I liked using the big axes on the MC. If they were good enough for Shinji, they're good enough for me. Her Naginata was a good choice though.

I also did mourn the loss of running around the city maps. The point and click just didn't click the same.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd pop around with fast travel now and then, but I mostly hoofed it around. Getting lost in train stations was a fun time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Power on the game to eat a burger, save, and then quit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
TV static just shows off the RNA sequences of the vaccine you should get.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hunt11 posted:

I have been noticing the days have been feeling longer. At first I just wrote it off as a continuation of Covid time dilatation but every time it strikes midnight all the clocks stop working and all these coffins pop up.

I want a midnight hour just to get a bit of extra sleep.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
P5 Royale with Cheese edition.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main change with Tycoon is that you should be able to play with Evil Akechi. in fact you should be able to play with Smug Akechi and Twisted Psycho Path Akechi at the same time

DLC I'd pay for.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
P4G gave Mitsuo an 8-bit remix of I'll Face Myself and that alone was enough to justify it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn't Golden the first to allow people to pick what abilities transferred through fusion, instead of just forcing you to cancel / retry dozens of times until RNG worked in your favour?

Game of the Year.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I want to play the other games, I play the other games. If I want to be stuck on a calendar, I play Persona.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
For a hypothetical Persona 6, there are a few things I've seen over the series I'd like.

Give me a 100 hour game. Generally that's way too long for a single game, with the Persona games I love sitting down at the beginning knowing I have a marathon ahead of me. I've done multiple playthroughs of 3, 4, and 5, so I say keep that coming.

I like the calendar. It's not perfect by any means, but I enjoy the time management as well as the segmented time slots you're given. It was also good for pacing in 3, as you know every full moon you're going to have the next story event, and the others gave you a day limit when the heist or midnight tv broadcast started. That could be clarified a bit. However, it is absolute bullshit when the game just goes "whoop, you're sick" and you lose a week of game time. If it sticks to a calendar, you should also know what's coming.

The biggest problem I find with the calendar is it pushes the player to speed run the dungeon so they have more social time slots. I don't think they can completely decouple dungeon time from the calendar and still have the time management be as relevant, but maybe they can balance that out better.

I don't so much mind the proc-gen dungeons. Tartarus was the best, imo, because you could generally speed through them, but they at least stick the other gameplay loops together. The hand crafted dungeons in 5 were alright, but some of the puzzle floors were just obnoxious. Vanilla Mementos was pretty bad though, probably due to the unchanging elevator music.

I don't really like party member social links being so tied to character growth. In that regard I like P3's system better, where they all had their own lives and influences, and didn't need the MC to solve all their problems. Which, to be fair, is how every other person you deal with works, but you miss things like death of a friend being a character defining moment, and you get the weird disconnect between how a character acts in story, vs. what their link growth shows. And it's been brought up lots before, but some of them are just awful, or open up so late you have to reschedule everyone else to try to bring a new character up to speed.

It's also a stupid detail, but I was always unreasonably happy for the Fool link for the team evolving to the Judgement and missed that in 5.

Maybe also no gay jokes in the next one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Or maybe the dungeons are just shorter segments that progressively unlock Tartarus style and don't take up all the rest of your daily slots when you go them?

It seems like they kinda thought of something like this with Madarame's dungeon, where you got to the security fence and had to do something in his house again. If they broke up each dungeon that slower or less confident players could still progress each step fully with a bit of work, the faster players could still make 100% progress each time.

It might be annoying to hit the end when you still have enough resources to continue, and it might take you out of the dungeoning groove to go do some busywork irl again, but it might be a better balance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn’t the instrumental portion of the fight a Royale change? It has been a while since I played vanilla, but the first phase with the instrumental really stood out to me I’m Royale.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

anakha posted:

interactive environments when P3P gets released.

This won't happen.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked The Answer. Of course it's disappointing if you want the full package - no external environments, no social links, no time management.

A lot of the bosses were also terribly designed if I recall. One weakness, but also have evade for that weakness. Over and over.

But I enjoyed the dungeon crawl itself, as well as the story. Taking away the compendium also changes Persona management pretty drastically, which was a good change.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

Had a random thought about how the skip function in P4/G would be totally lost on most anybody age 20 or so.

It's clearly modelled on how you'd fast forward a VHS tape - sound and visuals and everything - but who had a VCR in the mid-2010s or later? Kids coming to P4G on Steam might have no idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEyzwFwgP0&t=72s

I remember somebody in here a while back wondering about the fact they still had tube TVs at the time of the game but I bet more kids have seen those than seen VCRs.

The elementary schools I work at still have a few VCRs kicking around so it's not lost on everyone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

This is really interesting to hear!

Please tell me they're attached to those big ol' AV carts we had back in the day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gj8Yel2bUY&t=24s

Nah, we've got projectors in each room. Those with VHS just wire it up to them.

The issue is twofold: there's a lot of content that was available on VHS that's licensed to be used in a classroom setting. Getting up to date content on modern media either doesn't have a direct replacement, or has costs involved. Probably both. The little I've had to delve into that setting has been a nightmare. Most of it has been smooth over the decades, but apparently there's a few missing things here and there. I think at this point most of it is just on youtube in a grey state of copyright, but there are a few companies that exist solely to provide (mostly streamed) content for schools and other organizations, and licensing/copyright is enforced rigorously.

The other side is some teachers (a minority, to be fair) just don't want to find up to date material. Their lovely vhs tape covered what they wanted in 1991, so that's what they're using now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Big Bro just sounds awkward and unnatural, and not something a native English speaker would use. Nanako got a pass because she's young and excited about having an older family member around.

That screenshot (Persona 1?) would feel a lot more natural if Noriko just said sis(ter) or used her sister's name.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I actually wasn't aware of that detail. Either way, big sis/et. al., sound really unnatural.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I imagine Square Enix would have issues with Atlus releasing their game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BurningBeard posted:

Now that there’s some renewed interest in P5R, I’ve got a question.

I’m just kinda winging it as I go, as far as fusions are concerned, but is there a detailed writeup anywhere about fusion mechanics? My tiny brain gets all knotted up when I think about fusing anything in a chain longer than like… two. I’m not generally an optimizer, but my strategy has been like this:

Cover all elemental attacks, or as near to all as I can manage. Then, cover all buffs/debuffs, even if I have to snag something lower level.

But everything feels real patchwork, and I can’t help thinking I’m missing something as I move forward.

MC is 21 atm, and I’m about to go into the bank, fyi.

If there’s either a comprehensive writeup on the particulars of fusion, or if y’all have any fusion tips, I’d love to hear them.

The game’s not posing a challenge, per se, other than running into a miniboss that inflicted brainwash and needing to tweak my setup to deal with that, but something about fusion just makes me want to build the perfect setup.

I always wing it, but I have one suggestion - cover your defenses.

There are some story bosses that are absolute motherfuckers, but you can shut them down 100% if you have a persona that covers their 2 or 3 main attacks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could be misremembering but I thought that was the case in 4 as well. If the investigation was on, party members were unavailable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always blitzed them because I don't want to use up day slots. Someone said it earlier, but if it was more like the hidden hour I'd be happier doing smaller, quicker excursions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nyx should have been a 20 phase fight because that song is rad af

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. It's by no means the perfect final boss, especially the first time through. It's quite the spectacle though.

The first phase changes should clue you in on what he's doing though. Like when he switches to Emperor you should expect Zio, and when he's switching to Justice expect Hama. I don't think I got surprised by any of that.

Moonless gown making you blow yourself up with no warning is pretty dumb, or getting charmed / full heal.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 16, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. After the first time I'd generally try to run people immune to their own attacks - Aigis, Yukari, and Mitsuru. Aigis on support generally just did buffs, and the other two on full assault would just throw their dynes and were immune to the reflect - at least in FES.

The first time I had Junpei who wasn't immune to his physical attacks, so I had to do weird AI / rush manipulation to even have him slightly useful.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

man nurse posted:

So I loved 4, and I’m loving 5 just as much. Will 3 be a safe bet if I have a high tolerance of visual novels and really enjoy the social life parts of the games?

The gameplay in 3 is a bit more dated. Less so if you play the PSP version. 3 otherwise created the formula they haven't strayed from, and has some better decisions imo. You should like it just as much.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheesetriangles posted:

Does anyone have else prefer the random dungeons of 3 and 4 over 5? I like being able to turn off my brain and just wack thing and having to solve puzzles and pay attention kind of takes me out of that though 4 had a bit of that.

I do. Most of 5's dungeons were kinda tedious, and 4's weren't designed any better than randoms. The dungeon crawling is just a vehicle to get into combat anyways. The puzzles and events in the latter ones weren't generally interesting enough to warrant their own thing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The best use of time at school was going to the weird professor's hours long classes on tarot or kabbalah or whatever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SettingSun posted:

-Mitsuru will waste exorbitant amounts of time casting Marin Karin but it her credit it will actually land sometimes.

Change her AI setting. I can't remember what's there but you can turn of Marin Karin usage completely.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does Elizabeth have quests to fuse certain personas? I think I just used those as guidelines.

Level doesn't matter much honestly. If you can achieve her requests and make it to the wall at the end of each Tartarus segment, you're fine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Though with regards to the P3 protagonists where are you supposed to pick up Thanatos? They start with Orpheus, and I figure their ultimate persona is Jesus, who I unlocked and never got anywhere near the unlock level, but I never realized Thanatos was a persona you could actually get. I'd figure he'd come from the plot-related Death confidant, but all that gave me was Alice, who tbf was good enough to last me the rest of the game.

He's one of the special fusions - pentagon or hexagon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Captain Hotbutt posted:

- I feel like he's important to the new stuff in Royal, but I haven't really been all that interested in visiting Maruki. Some of his dialogue is a little on the nose for what might be coming and my guard is up about what his character means in the future. Plus he's just kind of dull in a nice, inoffensive dad kind of way. Gimme Sojiro over Maruki.

You might not want to, but get your link up with him as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In most places you can't actually walk around with real guns.