Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ground floor. I'm pretty new to Persona, got a steelbook copy of 5R last year, but it really hooked me and my wife, absolutely perfect pandemic food. We finished it without unlocking the postgame (because we figured maxing one character, which got us a special message, was enough, but we needed to actually really max a second one), so we'll eventually do NG+ for that and to do all the social links.

In order to not burn out, we instead are playing P4G, thankfully super cheap on PC during a sale so I nabbed it, and it's also really fun. We do have some raised eyebrows at various scenes involving Kanji's sexuality and Naoto's gender identity, but we're willing to write it off as "Yosuke is the worst".

I would say that a "before you play" for each game, especially the recommended ones, might be a good addition to the OP; that's mostly:
- who to max out before which date in each game in order to not lose out on vast amounts of content
- obscure conditions you need to fulfil in order to triggers endings/continue the story
- as has been said, what not to stress out over

I've seen some FAQs that recommend reloading whenever you don't get an extra random stat up for crafting lockpics in P5R, at a like 12% chance, and that's absurd, don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

After playing Fire Emblem Three Houses, I really hope Atlus adds scenes between characters without the MC in the future. It doesn't even need to have as many ranks as the normal social links, just three or four "levels" would be enough to add a ton of characterization.

I like the vignettes in P5 where they come up with team attacks

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A Bystander posted:

Watching some TAS videos of RPGs these days got me thinking, has there been anything interesting for any of these games like that? Or even just what a speedrun of them would be like and how it would work?
I started watching a P4G speedrun recently to have something in the background while working, and its gameplay segments are actually pretty cool! There's no "normal" play there at all, everything is super calculated to just work, and you usually die immediately if you go off-script. Reasons being:
- they don't do any random encounters whatsoever. Only Golden Hands are ever fought to level, and just the exact amount they need
- they manipulate RNG to guarantee three-hand-encounters
- they also manipulate RNG to get skill changes into Megido (and later various other skills) to actually kill the hands, except for the first bunch they kill with attack items
- because of no randoms, there's no drops, so they can't sell stuff, so there's no armor upgrades whatsoever until they manipulate a chest in the final dungeon/buy one off the shopping channel super lategame
- party members are there for one buff before they die, or to soak up single-target attacks so MC doesn't eat it
- MC does everything, usually to the tune of "gets attack up buff/charge/heaviest attack you can manipulate at that point"
- zero time for social links except Marie (Golden Ending run) and the required ones
- Fusion route, therefore, is complicated (see also: no randoms! No Personas except for Izanagi and the first, mandatory fight drop one). They need a bunch of money to keep resummoning old ones, and have a bigass chart to know exactly what they need when. Except for ones that happen to be in the mandatory level up arcana, they will be on MC's level, so there's some grinding hand segments in between to get just the right level for the next persona on the list
- all the money is gotten from just doing Translation job over and over. That and Knowledge (quicker evening event to study at some days, and the money route is likewise tightly planned so you don't need the translate cash every day) are the only social stats ever raises. Expression get max because they translate so much lol

Other than that, it's knowing possible dungeon generation layouts, kiting encounters well, rounding corners efficiently, staying on your big big list of what to do when, and being able to plan around when something inevitably goes wrong (boss hits the wrong person late in the fight, can I recover/do I reload, I hosed up my fusion route two hours ago, can I beat this fight without Mediarama???, etc.). The runners I watched were surprisingly chill as far as speedrunners go, they constantly said stuff like "oh we used to do Kanji's palace on this day exactly, because the old PS2 version route said so, then we thought: wait in Golden you can do shopping channel also on Mondays??? so after literal years of following the route blindly, we changed that..." or "I don't actually know what tending to the garden does, I just follow this big list of stuff to do mang".

Fojar38 posted:

she had no problem capitalizing on "i think i cracked my rear end"
Funniest moment in P5 for me. Makoto best.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Naoto is really good in P4G, I don't know what the issue is. Flexibility is an asset as much as pure power is, and instant access to Megido_ spells on a party member is super great for golden hand encounters. I've also had a lot of boss fights where they were dedicated damage dealer, with MC healing and the others buffing.

I'd say the only truly bad member in a lot of ways is Yosuke, only useful if there's a lot of wind weaknesses around.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Any jack of all trades character kind of suffers in P4 because the MC is the ultimate utility character, granted they all suffer because the MC is really just way more useful than all of them. Naoto did still get a spot on my party last play through partially to play with underutilized characters and partially because she is good at dealing with mobs. Yosuke on the other hand has never been in my party because he's a dork who can stay back and dance with his trashcan.
It's this tbh

Also worth noting, I haven't finished P4G yet (Marie's special dungeon is about to start), but the "normal" final boss I did at party levels 60-65, so some of them aren't even done yet. Yosuke doesn't have Brave Blade yet, and I'll never unlock his second, let alone third Persona because gently caress him. Naoto's a lot more useful for me atm because they start with a lot of good poo poo from the word go.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also, are you playing on Hard or Normal? I tried the first dungeon on the former but changed it before the boss because I realized that I was just making fights four times as long, except for those that would instant kill me, those I'd have to out-number (aka grind), which takes four times longer, so naw, that's not a sensible level of challenge.

On Normal everything was fine, though I did put some extra rounds through the first dungeon in to learn the ropes and get more Personas (because you barely have a selection at the start). After that, I never had to grind again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Finished P4G! Just above 100 hours. We really enjoyed it except for some extremely cringe scenes, mostly involving Yosuke.

We didn't end up doing a lot of things we had planned (Rise to 10, spend more time with Ai who my wife really liked, finish all sidequests, finish Nanako or Dojima so that the former gets more attention from the latter), but I had actually kind of assumed that there'd be more time once the semi-final dungeon unlocked, and not that you'd have to finish that in one day, and also the final final one. Doesn't really matter tho.

Did the final final boss at Level 73, mostly with the power of Up- and Downdoots. I don't think that's very uncommon, extremely strong Persona.

Great music for that fight, and what a design.

Now to take a well-deserved Persona break, and then...maybe P5R NG+, or even Strikers??

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

By doots do you mean trumpeter? Because I always said "doot" out loud every time.
well of course, except I mimicked the sound effect instead!

I'm surprised people are actually remembering the Arcanas that go with the Confidants/S-Links. I keep having to look up which Personas to bring if I want to push one, most of the time I just don't bother though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh yeah we have a save right before the True (not Golden) Ending, is it worth looking at that too or is it just "Golden Ending, but a few extra scenes missing"?

Btw this song slaps hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQILQgkClo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Me and my wife also hated the scene where the girls beat up Ryuji, fwiw. But that's also because it's the last in a long line of scenes where we were yelling AT LEAST HUG ALREADY at the screen, where people even in the most emotional friendship-affirming moments just stood social distancing levels apart and maybe nodded. Instead of a well-deserved group hug of relief or - like P4G handled scenes of extreme relief, with the girls (and some of the boys) crying - they beat him up instead, which is exactly what we didn't want to see.

The hot springs perv scenes also all suck rear end. The food disaster ones in P4G were hilarious though. Maybe we have some wrong cultural expectations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to think that the hot spring scenes are just clinging onto the last vestiges of 'haha weren't things like this funnier ten years ago?' and by P6 we'll still have a bunch of dumb dumbs, just not in dumb dumb scenes like this.
I don't remember having too much of an issue with scenes like that in P5, we chalked up P4G's as products of its time. I honestly think Ryuji perving as much as he does is fine. I don't overly like realism arguments in games, but it'd be weird to not have at least one party member in a game about (romantic) relationships between teenagers a little too horny. Like, I was a little too horny at 16 and crossed some borders with female friends and got rightfully shut down. It makes for terrible cringy memories now of course and I'm a very different person, but it makes me absolutely understand Ryuji going a little too far with Ann sometimes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the idea is meant to be some tough love kind of thing, similar to how you can rag on Ryuji and Ann during their awakenings to an extent.
You can be a relentless dick to many people with some of the answers in P4/5, I think that's either supposed to be funny or give you more options to roleplay as something different than a blank slate goody-two-shoes hero at least in those limited ways.

Of course, I always busted Yosuke's and Teddie's balls whenever possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Imo it's best to end the Baton passes with Haru anyway because her all-hit gun attack which can hit multiple times is a great way to finish a wave weakened by single-target chain building attacks

Also, it really helps if you can switch party members in battle, if you've unlocked that you should make liberal use of it.