Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was watching the Story of Seasons LP on TheStrawHatNO's channel and thanks to Youtube recommendations I saw they're doing a P5R playthrough as well. I only played Strikers and know absolutely nothing about the original game so I figured I'd watch, since they're a really fun group. But I have to ask something because it's bugging the hell out of me.

It's established when the Phantom Thieves are running from the mind controlled townspeople in Okinawa that they can't do Phantom Thief stuff in the real world, since Zenkichi suggests that as a method of escape. So I'm completely lost how the cops were able to arrest and apprehend Joker from the cognitive world. Is this ever explained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, the game does eventually explain that.

Okay, good. I know it's a weird thing to get hung up on but it's just because Strikers explicitly addresses that issue, if I hadn't played it I wouldn't care. :v: That said I've already see two characters who weren't in Strikers so I'm interested to see who they are and what's up with them (well okay, I already know who one of them is from watching a few cutscenes from Q2, but the other is a complete mystery).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers had the team being complete pros at infiltration and thievery so it's kind of fun to see them just starting out and having no idea what they're doing.

I was also surprised at how fast P5 throws you into the combat and dungeon exploration. If I recall it was like three or four hours before you got into a fight in P4 (aside from the opening dream sequence) and you couldn't even freely run around in a dungeon for another hour or so after that.

Also I gotta say I'm a fan of Sojiro telling the MC every single night "Don't forget, you're on probation and if you mess up your life is over!" as well as Kamoshida going "Ha ha you're all expelled, your lives are over!" and then actually no wait that's not for two weeks. Maybe Japanese schools work differently? I think here at least the principal can just go "Yep you're expelled" and that's that. Even so it's still odd that the MC was already told "If you do anything wrong you're out on your rear end" so theoretically even ignoring Ryuji and Mishima, Kamoshida should be able to just tell the principal "Hey he threatened me" and that would be enough to get him expelled right away. I know the game has to have some reason why it's not immediate since you can't necessarily do the Palace in one go, but it still sticks out as weird to me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

I started Strikers and so far Im actually enjoying it up to the second dungeon. I didnt expect them to give the characters some actual growth in a spinoff but Makoto and Haru are kind of stealing the show so far.

I remember when I started Strikers I said "I'm hoping Makoto and Haru develop a personality soon" because they're very in the background not doing or saying a lot for the first dungeon, but by the end I thought they were great. Especially Haru. "We just hate the police. :) "

quote:

Maybe I havnt unlocked everything yet but the demon fusion so far is the only low point. Skill cards are rare as hell and fusions seem to be very specific so there isnt a lot of way to play around in the system to make hilarious/broken demons.

You do unlock fusions using multiple demons later on which allow you to play with skills a bit more, skill cards also remain a little bit rare but there is a Bond skill that increases item drop rate, and Treasure Demons almost always drop skill cards (and there's a Bond skill to increase the rate that Treasure Demons spawn I think).

So yeah you'll get a little more freedom as the game goes on.

You're buying quite a bit!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I know it's to give the player more freedom and such but it still amuses me how you can get part time jobs in P4/5 but they're "whenever you feel like it" instead of having an actual schedule. Sign up for a job, don't show up for two months, and then you pop in and they're like "Yep get to work."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

All I know is watching P5R is making me want to play Strikers again, I might have to redownload it. God it's so good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Okinawa Jail in Strikers is the closest I think post-2 Persona has ever gotten to mainline SMT, which is why the Okinawa Jail is the best.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers has Meguro listed as the Sound Director, but the composers were Atsushi Kitajoh, Gota Masuoka, and Ayana Hira.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strikers in fact has a better OST than Royal, as it not only contains nearly every great song from Royal, it also contains a fantastic P1R battle theme remix, new amazing tracks like the Okinawa and Kyoto Jails, and even has better versions of Blooming Villain/Keeper of Lust than Royal.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It was kind of like that but I got caught up pretty quickly.

One of the most interesting things to me from watching the P5R playthrough is that apparently Makoto starts out as kind of a huge rear end in a top hat the player is supposed to hate. Ann was kind of like that at first but she doesn't stay like that for nearly as long and there's also the fact that you know Kamoshida is abusing her too so she's much more sympathetic (I know Makoto gets more sympathetic backstory later on but again, not nearly as quickly as Ann does).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm excited to find out more about Akechi, he didn't even get a namedrop in Strikers, and what little I know of him is from watching cutscenes from Q2.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Royal just seems like it has way too much poo poo to do in your free time, I guess maybe that's on purpose to contrast with Inaba's "small town with nothing to do," but it just seems like it would get overwhelming in a way the previous games didn't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I also miss P5 Igor :mad:

I'm the complete opposite, P3/4 Igor is so iconic to me, so perfect for the role, that P5's voice just doesn't feel like Igor at all. I'll never get used to it.

I've also heard that Takemi got a different voice for Royal, but I never played/watched P5 vanilla so I have no point of comparison for her.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mix. posted:

im the opposite, the original VA sounds weird to me but the new one sounds 'right' :v:

Yeah same here. I can't quite describe why I prefer Royal's VA, it just seems like it fits the character better somehow.

Anyway after looking back at all the games I played that came out this year, I think Strikers is my GOTY. I can't think of anything else I enjoyed more, or played the hell out of. Like, Metroid Dread was a fantastic game, but I pretty much only played it once and I felt satisfied with it. Strikers on the other hand I played all the way through twice, and I feel like I want to play it again before the year is over. I wish P5R would come out on Switch but I know that's never going to happen. Maybe one day when I can afford a PS4/5 though, I'll finally get to play it. Until then I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through LPers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Just got to see the "Ann goes to model for Yusuke" scene. There's probably been a lot of talk about how it all goes down but ultimately I ended up just being amused by the whole thing because their constant use of the word "nude" when most people would use "naked." It made me think of the Game Grumps playthrough of TTYD with Mario repeatedly asking Flurry "Are you nude?"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I remember buying P4 because Spoony said it was the best JRPG he'd ever played, and that grabbed my interest. Back before his life spiraled into self-destruction.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My first real SMT game after beating Persona 4 was Strange Journey, and it remains my favorite. Just something about "We're going to go into enemy territory and kick their asses off our world" that I really liked, along with all you cool friends that gave you sweet new technology throughout the game.

Zelenin sucked though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't think P5R is ever likely to happen on Switch, I'd love to be wrong but it's a PS4/5 game and it seems like they might have to do a ton of work to get it running on Switch that they probably feel isn't worth it (I'm not a tech guy so I can't say for sure but I can imagine that the Switch being a weaker system means that it'd be rough).

On the other hand I feel like there's no excuse for not giving us P3P or at least FES and P4 vanilla if not Golden.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reminds me of how Balthier pronounces Salikawood with a short i, but Fran pronounces it with a long i in FFXII. And Sun Jian still pronouncing Dong Zhou's given name with a long o sound in DW7 despite everyone else pronouncing it closer to the proper Chinese pronunciation.

Just depends on who's doing the voice directing that day I guess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I played P4 before 3 and it really spoiled me on S Links to the point that it was hard to deal with 3's. Overall they're just pretty awful.

P4's Magician arcana is like "Hey hang out with Yosuke and help him deal with his feelings over the girl he had a crush on secretly hating him and being murdered!" Sure, that's cool, I like Yosuke. P3's is "Hey hang out with this loving weirdo who wants to bone his teacher and has tricked himself into thinking he's dating her!" No thanks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

There's stuff I like about 3 and even 4/5 but if I was showing them to a normal friend it'd be like "oh yeah there is the swimsuit scenes, and the dating the middle schooler and..."

Yeah I caught someone streaming P4G the other day and while watching it I was reminded "Oh yeah, that's right, Teddie is a super loving creep" as well as the weird horny teacher that replaces Kamoshida after his murder.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

At the very least Teddie doesn't prevent you from going out and doing S Links at night so I still feel he's probably the better of the "cute mascots who are weird perverts" characters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alder posted:

woo boy I have a lot of words to say about P4G and how it treats their cast.

It's been a long time since I played P4, and I guess I'll spoiler it since someone is actively playing it right now, but the only one I really remember is Yukiko's where the character arc goes "I don't want to take over the inn, I want to live my own life! No, wait, actually I want to take over the inn after all." Am I right in thinking that a lot of the other character arcs were the same way?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alder posted:

Kanji: I really liked his character and SL but the actual main story scenes it's just terrible and I feel bad. I've played P4/G multiple times and it's terrible each time how everyone reacts to him and later on. I'm like he's just a good boy who deserved better.

I remember liking Yosuke a lot when I first played the game years ago but watching people play it now it's like, he's just a complete rear end in a top hat to Kanji for basically no reason and it sucks, Yosuke sucks.

Also I'm not 100% sure I remember Kanji's SL resolution, I want to say it's he doesn't think he's necessarily gay but due to his upbringing he's into a lot of things which are considered traditionally feminine and that's why people assume he's gay. Which on one hand is a valid statement about how gender stereotypes affect people, and a rejection of the idea that "all gay guys must be flaming, all lesbian women must be butch." On the other hand it also kinda feels like the writers were just apprehensive about having a gay character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

P5 team: "Hey remember that S Link in the last game where an older woman flirts with you but in the end she's not actually into you? What if we did that again, but this time she actually was into you, and also you could date her?"

RevolverDivider posted:

The P4 party social links mostly suck besides Chie but the P4 party is good and you are insane.

Even if you hate everyone else I don't see how anyone could dislike Kanji. Kanji is the greatest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The music in Strikers was done by Atsushi Kitajoh, Gota Masuoka, and Ayana Hira, and it has an OST I would say is as good as or even better than P5's. Not saying Shoji Meguro's leaving doesn't suck, because it does, but the music seems to be in pretty good hands.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

- Sun S-link in particular, drama club can gently caress right off

Should've joined band!

I feel like a lot of people looked at Ayame and immediately went NOPE, saw Yumi and were like oh hey this looks like a good fun time and then it turns into that.

Not saying Ayame's version of the link is incredibly good or anything, and I get that her character type is going to be really annoying to a lot of people, but it's at least a lot less, well, drama.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Please do not gently caress the cat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I blame the people that enjoy the terrible hot spring moments in the last game. Luckily P5 didn't have the women beat the poo poo out of their friends for no reason. :)

Unfortunately they did this in Strikers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Polderjoch posted:

Hanako and Kashiwagi both seem to purely exist to take the piss at fat people and older unmarried women since, of course, they're both the only ones like those in the game and the game never portrays them anywhere close to positively

Kashiwagi is genuinely creepy and gross though because she's trying to hit on the high school boys. The problem is that it's implied the only reason she doesn't succeed in her attempts is "she's on the wrong side of 40" and so clearly no man (or boy) could ever want a wrinkled old grandma like her.

Hanako bugs me because they portray her as actually having a very positive self-image, but in a toxic way where she seems oblivious to the fact that everyone is going "she's a big ol' fat porker!" and acts arrogant and condescending towards other girls because she views them as not as beautiful as her. And it's made even worse with Ai's social link being "I used to be fat and everyone made fun of me and boys didn't like me because of it, but now I'm rich and thin and everyone loves me."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's shortly after Naoto joins the party. Someone, I think maybe Yosuke, says something about "Hey maybe using personas and going to the Shadow Realm all the time is having a negative effect on our health" so they all go to the hospital to get physical exams. After it's over, Teddie says he took all the results and says he'll read off all the girls' measurements. Rise says she's fine with it as her measurements are public knowledge (though they exaggerated her cup size), but Yukiko and Chie get upset, Teddie ignores them, and then reveals Naoto has the biggest boobs of all the girls.

It's definitely in base P4 because I remember it and I never played Golden.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I played P4 pretty soon after it released, I never owned a Vita, and when it came to Steam I was like eh I kinda don't want to play P4 again even if it is only 20 bucks, I enjoyed my time with the original and I have a shitload of games in my backlog I'd rather play instead.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Naoto apparently was just useless in the original.

Naoto wasn't useless, she was good for random trash since she learned light/dark and almighty skills. But since light/dark in P4 are just instant kill spells, it means she's really bad against bosses who are all immune to those, and almighty doesn't get you One More.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for story additions, Saki's brother is a P4G thing, right?

I'm not sure what you mean, Saki's brother is the Hanged Man Social link in vanilla P4. Unless they added him into the main plot in Golden, he's not a P4G thing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

By the time you get Naoto, trash mobs have long since stopped being anything memorable or threatening so I think useless still describes her. You don't need an extra party member for all the nothing fights.

Eh, SP restoration is a bit harder to come by in P4 than in the more recent games, so personally I appreciated that I could run Naoto through the dungeon and have her use all hers up and still have completely fresh party members to take on the boss with minimal leaf use.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm slowly getting back into watching the LP of P5R I was before and I know something is supposed to be fishy about the principal, but I can't get over him getting angry at a 16 year old girl for not bringing down the loving mafia.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Iirc a lot of NFT sales were people "selling" them to themselves to make it look like there was huge demand for them.

Or as the analogy used for crypto in general goes, I have a dog and you have a dog. I say "I'll sell you my dog for a billion dollars," you say "I'll sell you my dog for a billion dollars," and now we claim that our dogs are worth 2 billion dollars.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Female character is nice, but not really canon and Atlus barely acknowledges her])

Not really canon, sure, but "barely acknowledges" is false considering she's a major character in Persona Q2 and has an interesting storyline since she's the only one from her universe that was taken into the movie world, the other P3 characters were taken from the male MC's universe, so she knows all of them but they don't know her, and it starts messing with her emotionally.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's funny that the Persona 1 remake doesn't have the Persona 1 battle theme but Persona 5 Strikers does.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

On one hand, being able to play Persona 5 on the Switch sounds fantastic. On the other hand, the Switch already struggles to handle games from 2016.

Having played Nocturne on Switch, I can also assure you it struggles to handle games from 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have used over 2000 consumable items at this point I think lol

You're buying quite a bit!