Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I somehow forgot there was a Persona thread and posted this question in the RPG thread the other day:

Tosk posted:

Has anyone played through that Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP translation patch that came out a few months ago? Would that be the definitive way to play the game at this point or is the PSX version better for any reason?

I got halfway through Innocent Sin some time ago and finished the first Persona recently, and when the PC port of P3 drops in a few months I'm thinking of marathoning through to P5R (which I've avoided because I haven't had any consoles for the Royal version until now), but I've never tried EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I just noticed your posts in the November chat thread! Besides the visual references you posted, is there a tangible connection between The Drifting Classroom and SMT? I thought that was interesting. If nothing else, the manga seems like it has a little DNA shared with the novels that inspired SMT to begin with.

As far as P2IS, yeah, it has pretty brutal encounter rates. IIRC there are a few (nonetheless annoying to access) ways to lower it via Personas with the Estoma ability or the Disguise Kits you can buy, but it won't fix the issue. I remember googling when I last played to look for a way to lower the random battle rates.

Nowadays I play a lot of RPGs while I listen to audiobooks, at least during the dungeon crawls. It helps more than anything lol.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Presumably you're playing the PSP version on an emulator and here are some action replay codes that, among other things, lower the encounter rate. I plan on using them next time I attempt Innocent Sin, 1/4 the normal encounter rate seems like it could be comfy

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer Persona 3 FES to P3P. I like the fem MC more but I enjoy navigating 3d environments more than the visual novel style approach.