Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
re: persona 4 chat, Ai Ebihara is criminally underrated IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For persona 6 I wish they'd let us hang out in groups and have the cast bond with each other while the protag is absent, like in Fire Emblem. More importantly I want to be able to nudge them to date each other.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Mechanically persona 5 is a lot tighter, especially Royal. I love baton pass and it makes certain generalist characters like Makoto so much better, and gives Yusuke a niche as somebody for the massive payoffs after chaining weaknesses, so you can really play with how all of that interacts. It's unfortunate that there's only one boss fight that really leans into that mechanic (and it's not really fun to boot); the game could have used a few more areas and bosses that allow crazy chains and combos like that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Err, I thought Haru was actually great in P5R if you specced her to use her gun skills. One-shot kill has insane single-target damage potential.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gaius Marius posted:

I think her utility is a little more than most people weight it, just because it's generally harder I find to cover Psi Weakness, a lot more persona's seem to fit into the typical four elements than into the extra two added. Tetra and Makarakarn are also exceedingly useful if used in certain context's

That reminds me, I had tetrakarn on Joker during the sixth palace boss fight and the boss killed itself by reflecting its physical attack on itself :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm really curious what traits and role Makoto would have had in the initial ideas, then? There's not a lot to her except being the planner/strategist (and some repressed rage at her situation in life I guess)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Same

Final doot and now you die

Edit: also your wife is correct, Ai owns

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Meanwhile I understand the P5 manga is actually pretty good because it dives more into each character's personality, including Joker's

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

Tbh I feel worse dating any of the other girls because they're like, teenagers. Yeah Joker is but I'm not and he's a blank slate anyways.

This is always weird to me because I never consider characters in games to be self-inserts. So to me Joker dating anybody of his own age range feels like "aww, look at those teens" instead of feeling like I, personally, am dating those girls

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whilst a fair point, Persona 3-5 protagonists are very much blank slates so you can self-insert into them if you so wish.

I know that's part of their appeal/idea behind a mute character, yes, but I have a lot of trouble understanding people who do. Characters always have their own design that differs from the player, as well as inferred character traits, even if they aren't explicited. If anything blank slate characters are just boring (Byleth in FE:3H comes to mind) or have sufficient panache and character like Joker that their body language and mannerisms make them stand out sufficiently.

Likewise, I can't treat my dnd characters or characters in Western RPGs as self-inserts. I see them as distinct characters, and I get input on how their story goes but they're not me...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Akira Akiyama, to get the added alliteration appeal.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm hoping they branch out a bit going forward and have young adults as a cast. Maybe university students, or people who are taking a leap year between high school and university (not sure if that's really a thing in Japan though) so we can have a proper globetrotting trip.

If they really wanted to go off the rails they could put it in a historical setting like a Grand Tour or at the university of Bologna in the Middle Ages or something like that, but I doubt they'll stray so far off the winning formula when so many people enjoy the contemporary setting.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

RillAkBea posted:

It's not a thing, no. The closest thing to that trend in Japan is either going on an exchange year during university or some people take a working holiday after they graduate.

I don't mind the high school aspect but I would kind of like them to go back to the middle of nowhere like P4 rather than Tokyo or a Tokyo-esque again.

I very much doubt Atlus is up for anything radical though. SMT V appears to be set in a ruined Tokyo again and chances are P6 is another high school teen romp.

I really wouldn't mind a Persona game about a Japanese exchange student in university... there's even programmes that are like 1 semester a particular city and another semester in another city that could provide a good framing for a globetrotting experience.

fight shadows in Trinity College library in Dublin

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

You should play Persona 3 sometime. In P3, your responses in social link scenes can actually cause a social link to go into "reverse" status where you and the character basically have a falling out. You can't progress a reversed social link until you spend some time patching things up.

There's actually one link in Persona 4 that still does this (Ai) and I remember a lot of people disliking her for it lol

The trap options were so obvious too. "Yes let me agree to be this chick's rebound, this will end well"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My comment, which is clearly being taken away further than it was meant to, was simply a reflection that by and large, Japan's social views on LGBTQ subjects is more conservative than contemporary western views.

This actually isn't even true though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/27/world/asia/japan-gay-marriage.html

quote:

A recent poll reflected the dichotomy. The survey, by the advertising giant Dentsu, found that more than half of gay men and lesbians in Japan were concerned about coming out. Yet it also showed that almost 80 percent of people 60 and under now support same-sex marriage.

That widespread backing, a jump of 20 or more points in just a few years, comes as Japan has caught up with patterns in other developed countries and has experienced what many describe as a “boom” in L.G.B.T. awareness.

https://www.prri.org/research/amid-multiple-crises-trump-and-biden-supporters-see-different-realities-and-futures-for-the-nation/

quote:

The vast majority of Americans (70%) favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally, compared to 28% of Americans who oppose it. Majorities of Democrats (80%) and independents (76%), as well as half of Republicans (50%), support same-sex marriage.
(yeah I know this also takes into account 60+ aged people, so the actual difference isn't as big)

https://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/index.cfm/ResultDoc/download/DocumentKy/87771

EU barometer shows average of 76% in the EU and even 'Western views' like Italy and Austria hang at 70% and 68%.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh I definitely agree it's a glaring omission in P5 considering its themes. I just think it's a P5 problem, not necessarily a Japan problem.

Apologies, I didn't want to dogpile on Solaris. I just had one too many conversations with chuds who claimed that LGBTQ representation in Japanese media would be forcing Western sensibilities on the Japanese, as if Japanese culture is a sacred cow to be protected from the evils of political correctness, and it makes me jumpy to point out that's just not true and LGBTQ representation in Japanese media isn't "anti-Japanese" for whatever reason. Not that Solaris was doing that by any means, just explaining why I feel it's important to remind people that the Japanese population at large isn't uniquely conservative compared to the West and why LGBT representation shouldn't be considered to be groundbreaking any more in my animes and JRPGs.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

anakha posted:

I... think I might have stumbled onto what you were referring to here.

I was taking on the miniboss shadow in the required Memento event on May 7th, and cast Pulinpa via Mandrake on it to catch a breather while I healed the party up. Then it started spitting out money and items at me :psyduck:

Welcome, this is how you break the game over your knee

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

This is old news but the Cutting Room Floor has really interesting cut content.

Also some funny things.

I’m... not entirely sure what any of this post relates to but it sounds magical

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It becomes less of an issue (the first palace is the hardest due to a lack of resources and options). I'd suggest using more buffs and debuffs for midbosses, and maybe swapping to merciless (it increases damage when hitting weaknesses across the board, both for you and for enemies, so maybe it actually makes it easier for you if you prioritise strategising?)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My pet peeve is why did they not make Last Surprise, the song about how you've bamboozled the enemy and got them by surprise, the ambush theme and Take Over, the song describing the Phantom Thieves objective, the normal battle theme.

It may be dumb but it just feels backwards to me.

No it's true. Last surprise works much better as an ambush song and take over much better as a frontal assault song.

Unfortunately they did the same thing in Persona 4 where they replaced the old music with the new music for the ambush fights because that's the one that players are most likely to hear if they're playing well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

Where's our cool delinquent girl?

Stuck in persona 4, unfortunately!

I have to say I wouldn't mind the next persona to have a trashfire main group instead of the classic chariot-magician-lovers-priestess-emperor-empress arcana. Tower, moon, death, hanged man social links as your party members, just give me a main cast of people who are totally disfunctional.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

P4 had one of those? I legitimately don't remember.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

Is that an american pronunciation or something? I've never heard 'uh teh lee ay'.

Not sure, but it sure is closer to the French pronunciation than "At leer"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Don't play persona 3. It's just not a good time if you're coming from P4 and especially P5.

Just watch the anime movie instead so you know what online nerds are talking about when they rave about it without having to slog through several dozens of hours of identical-looking floors in Tartarus and the worst social links in the series.

There's some interesting stuff in P3 for sure but it's hidden under 60 hours of tedium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's not just the mechanics, it's that the first 80% of the game are just straight up boring. There's no plot to speak of, the characters are by design entirely reactive instead of proactive, and the only gameplay to speak of is the same tower with virtually (what feels like) endless floors you have to mop up.

There's some good moments but it's dragged down by 25 out of 31 days of every month being straight up filler until the month of October, when the writers finally decided they were going to go somewhere with the story.