Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Playing P5 Strikers and just reached Wolf's Awakening, and hell yeah am I all-in for an Adult Persona Protagonist, even as just a party member in a spin-off. It doesn't hurt that Zenkichi's really been growing on me all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

That was a pretty satisfying end battle for the base game Persona 4 content.

It's still a stupid Razer Orb From Nowhere that rants for fifteen minutes about humanity's desires and then attacks you, but unlike P5 the model doesn't look like a computer graphics student's sophomore project and the battle theme is a pretty nice jam. Seriously the P5-original end battle theme was such a wet fart, especially after Rivers in the Desert. But then everything about P5's ending was intensely unsatisfying. At least in my opinion.

Unless I'm misremembering or misunderstanding your post, Razor Orb is not actually the end of Base P4 Content. It's just that Golden squeezes in its new content between that and the "proper" ending, instead of how Royal puts all its new content after the original ending.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Letting Ryuju say gently caress was 100% the highlight of Strikers.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I dunno, I liked his interactions with Aigis and Labrys in Arena. Despite the obvious conflict of "Shadow and anti-Shadow robot," he does a good job with the "I'm not human, and that's ok" bit.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

bobjr posted:

It would be nice to see a character or two from an older game pop up as a confidant or something, especially since they have had a decade+ happen between games now.

You mean like our good friend Tanaka and his Amazing Commodities?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I think he meant like, adult Navajo.

That would have been a very different Persona 4.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Whenever I get a PlayStation 5 I’d use that as my excuse to play again, though I don’t think it has any upgrades?

I started Royal on PS4 and switched to PS5 about halfway through. No actual graphic upgrades are anything, but I found load times notably faster, even though they weren't intensely long to begin with (and they can only be shortened so much since the game still wants to play the transition animations).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Playing through P5R and just found out you can drive the car full speed (with R2) in Mementos in to weaker shadows and defeat the instantly getting an item, money, AND their persona card

Sure made going through it after a palace to finish some requests super easy!

That's one of Ryuji's confidant abilities, but yeah, super useful.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Just revealed at the Game Awards: P4AU coming to Steam, Switch, and PS4

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

So if I want to play Royal with the intent of doing the closest thing I can get to New Game Plus until I get to the new content (I've already played and beaten base P5), those free DLC personas would be basically just what I want, and if they're still OP by the time I get to the third semester or whatever I can just dump them, right?

The problem with this is that it's not like P4 Golden, where aside from Marie being around there's a designated "New Content Here" section and the majority of the game is the same otherwise. The New Content for Royal is constant and all over the game, starting from the prologue even.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Levantine posted:

How is Persona 5 Strikers? Is it a proper persona game? It's sitting in my library thanks to PS+ and I was thinking of digging into it. Any tips or things I shouldn't miss if I give it a try?

Definitely not a "proper" Persona game. The plot only moves forward when you move it forward, no calendar pressure whatsoever. The combat is pure Musou, with some Persona flavor that (I personally think) makes it feel pretty nice, until you run out of SP...but you can leave a dungeon anytime and immediately re-enter to refresh the whole party's HP/SP anyhow, so that only really becomes a factor during boss fights.

Plot and characterization-wise, it's a direct sequel to Persona 5, so the whole cast is around from the start and they bounce off each other just perfectly. Some characters get their moments to just shine and if that's what you want out of the game more than the gameplay (it certainly was for me), you won't be disappointed.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

Careful, that's how you get fighting game spin-offs

This is a pro, not a con. :colbert:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I've been playing the Switch port of P4 Ultimax the past few days, I've been slowly working my way through the character storylines for the original P4 Arena and then tonight I beat the P4 storyline for Ultimax. I think the original Arena plot would have worked better if they had done a similar P4 side/P3 side gimmick with a more focused storyline as opposed to having a story mode for each character which ends up being apparently semi-canon.

I think the Manga adaptation primarily follows Aigis and Yosuke's plots as the "canon" version, but I can't off the top of my head remember if that quite follows for Ultimax.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I have given up my vigil on a p5 port. And with FF16's trailer music stuck in my head I have decided the time to acquire a ps5 is nigh:

Which p5 is better? Royal or Vanilla?

Royal, it's not even a question. Significant QoL changes over Vanilla, more content, and the new content is good.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I would honestly be happy if they reduced the number of personas and instead focused on making them be interesting designs/themes, while enabling the cast to switch a few around within their areas of affinity arcana-wise or do what PQ did, which as pointed out earlier in the thread was nice solution. Plus it would be nice to differentiate them from regular demon encounters in some way, rather than it feeling like you're just summoning demons like a regular SMT protag, and instead focus on giving them some neat figures that make mythological sense for these characters or themes.

The problem there, for me personally at least, is that I like the SMT demons. They're like Pokemon that I actually give a poo poo about, and if I can't summon Mothman or Ippon-Datara or Sandman in the next Persona game I'll be very disappointed.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Sojiro is also plot gated in both versions, but the game doesn't tell you that, so it's easy to end up wasting time trying to hang out with him before Futaba opens up.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Aww poo poo, they're printing P5 Tycoon decks?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Whatever your feelings on it, Arena establishes that The Answer happened at least, since Elizabeth and Aigis are already familiar (not to mention Erebus showing up in Elizabeth's story mode)

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think as per Arena, a Persona can be summoned just fine in the Real World, but it takes an emotional catalyst like what the Evokers provide (or an unstable emotional state like Strega). In the TV World or Mementos though, it's not only easier, it's stupidly easy. When the P3 cast enter the TV, they essentially summon theirs by accident before they get ahold of the world's mechanics.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Arist posted:

A handful of lines are different/less awkward. It's a marginal improvement at best.

The only one I really remember is that Ryuji actually gets to make a Fist of the North Star joke about Makoto's awakening instead of just awkwardly hinting to the side of such a joke.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
That reminds me -- they still haven't replaced Igor's JP VA, right?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

"I don't know Akechi as well as you do but... is this how he normally is?"
"Yep, just everyday Akechi"

I love how Akechi's response to this is essentially "And what about it?"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

anakha posted:

Strikers also handles the introduction of new characters/teammates a lot better than Royal. Sumi getting pushed as Joker's love interest in the cutscenes was one big 'meh' for me while I wanted to give Sophie headpats within a minute of meeting her.

Also, Zenkichi. Just Zenkichi.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Heartful Cry. Full Stop.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I didn't play Royale because vanilla P5's story and characterization problems pissed me off too much to believe that a band-aid semester could fix it, so my view on things are informed by that.

If it was simply a tacked-on bit at the end of the game I might agree, but Royal's more than that. It obviously can't fix some of the core issues baked into the game, but new themes and plot elements are woven in throughout the whole story, building up to the third semester, it's not just a sudden "And now for something new!" when you reach the point where the original game ended, the way Persona 4 did.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I feel like something bigger was supposed to be up with the phone but it got cut in a rewrite. Like it's not her phone, it's damaged because its original owner was carrying it when hit by a car, and she didn't want to give up this last bit of Kasumi

I never put this together, holy poo poo that makes so much sense

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Does Akechi get a Persona upgrade or will he permanently be Loki?

Only if you gave him very specific answers during his Rank 7/8 Confidant scenes. Otherwise it's permanently missed.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Sydin posted:

P3P is such a dogshit choice, lol. I get that it's the version with FeMC and the one where you can actually control your party members but like, wow they are losing so much. Just put in a modicrum of effort and blend the P3P enhancements into FES.

Ah yes, the "modicum of effort" of rewriting the entire battle system's code to allow for direct party control in a game engine that wasn't designed for it, plus creating updated models for all of the P3P characters that weren't in the original, and re-animating every single cutscene to account for the story differences with FeMC's route...very little effort, yes.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Edit: Yeah, what they ^^ said

My assumption was always that she sort of momentarily Blue Screens whenever someone uses her name before Maruki's brainwashing "corrects" it, and she just interprets her own freeze-ups as the phone's issue whenever her dad or anyone not Joker texts her.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Strikers also has the Hee-Hoard, which gets a giggle out of me every single time.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
For more, see: The entire Ace Attorney series, and most of the Yakuza games (especially the Judgement duology).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
C O O L R A N C H

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, I thought Theo was only on FeMC route anyway.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

HaB posted:

Weird. Odd choice that they didn't make the city walkable in the update.

It's because this is a straight port of the PSP game with AI upscaled art, they didn't do any "update" at all really.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
She was a major selling point for Q2, that seems to have been the turning point as I recall.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

-Obviously all the social links with girls learning they don't need no man and dudes crushing on you go differently if you're playing as a dude, where you instead get to be the girls' man and do something else with the dudes.

The dudes do not have social links at all for OG MC, only FeMC. Only the female party members originally.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
On the subject of Wild Cards, don't forget that in P4AU Sho is a Wild Card who was explicitly offered Velvet Room access, but told Igor and Margaret to gently caress off (though the ending implies he may be rethinking that decision)

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
A "Persona," hm? Maybe the girls at the Hostess Club would want to hear about that...

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Shoutout to Yosuke's parents for letting this weird blonde kid their son brought home live with them without looking into it any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
In light of P4A (and so probably not the intention during the writing and release of P3), my read on "the Potential" is just "the strongest and most able," not "the only ones period." Like, the difference P4A draws between the two casts is that the P3 cast are able to summon their Personas in the real world, something the P4 cast thought was impossible. So with that context, it seems that anyone can learn to use a Persona, but without the ill-defined "Potential" they're restricted to doing so in places like the TV World or the Metaverse.