Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion but Royal tries a little too hard to make Kasumi the main girl

I think they did a good job of putting her in the story for the most part, but she's still one of the Not Makotos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Mona deserves worse.

It's almost tempting to date Ann just to spite the fedora tipping little dink.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Mona mostly sucks and deserves to get poo poo on by Ryuji. At least he doesn't suck as much as Teddy does later in p4.

Why, you're talking like Teddie drives his bit about the young stud so far into the ground it comes out the other side of the planet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It feels like they had to work really really hard to make a character as bad as Teddie. Like the writers room was full of people, sweating in the blistering summer heat, some sleeping on their desks from exhaustion, trying to find the exact worst thing for a character to say in every single line, until the whole room goes silent when they collectively realized they have created one of the worst characters ever

I do wonder if he's as annoying in the Japanese.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can't let Ryuji have a triumphant moment, heavens no.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: so good I saw it again with Yusuke (kindness bonus whoo)

Semi-related, I knew Makoto was for me when she really dug gangster movies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

Best part about Strikers is that it absolutely nails that end-of-summer/end-of-school feeling where you have a group of friends all on the precipice of new chapters in their lives that will likely lead to them drifting apart and therefore wanting to spend every possible second together while they can. Being able to go on a cross-country road trip with your friends in a camper van is one of those things everyone has probably imagined doing at one point or another, and Strikers has the good sense to make the game about that first and weaving the larger plot through it.

While this is true I did appreciate in P5 that Joker and whichever love interest you picked were quite content with "yeah, it'll be a bit long distance while Joker is away back home for his senior year but even until then there is like phones and trains and things to keep in touch until then" unlike P4's "I guess we've only got until end of term!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Makoto “we’re just friends”

Nah, they're still together, it's fine. They just don't want main game variant Ryuji knowing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Then she voiced Makoto. Disappoint. I remember when this game came out somebody on here was very critical of her performance, said it lacked passion or spirit or something. I mean..it kinda did but I figured that was just Makoto.

I don't get that at all. I thought Leigh did a great job going from the 'desperate to please everyone' and the 'mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore' range that Makoto swings through because she is under a lot of pressure and beneath her school president exterior beats the heart of a pit fighter who loves mob movies.

Leigh as V in Cyberpunk is one of the game's (few) highlights. The male VA is fine but he's more being directed to come at it like an action movie - and I don't think he'd had a lot of voice roles - and Leigh does it more like a complete person and really hits the emotional beats (such as they are, because again, CP 2077 is mostly lies and theft).

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't P5's original localization have like three different or more groups?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's an easy fix: just replace the creep with someone who doesn't suck, it's happened before and hopefully will happen again.

Replacing him with Johnny Yong Bosch and following in the footsteps of the Broly recast would be funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s always funny reading discussions like these, because personally I find the story and characters in 5/Royal to be way way better than any of the other Persona games I’ve played.

I can see that. I do think 4 and 5 are close, but they're definitely an upgrade over 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Teddie comes of way creepier than the writers intended but he also makes Yosuke's life a living hell so it's impossible to say if he's bad or not.

Let us compromise. He's a bad person who did a good thing.

Sam Riegel shrieking 'score a hot stud' into infinity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

At the very least Teddie doesn't prevent you from going out and doing S Links at night so I still feel he's probably the better of the "cute mascots who are weird perverts" characters.

Just play Royal and you can ignore Fedora Cat's draconian sleep demands.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RevolverDivider posted:

The P4 party social links mostly suck besides Chie but the P4 party is good and you are insane.

It was a little bit of a shame both the character I liked most in 4 AND 5 wanted to be cops.

Sorry about that, we just despise the police is all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm slowly getting back into watching the LP of P5R I was before and I know something is supposed to be fishy about the principal, but I can't get over him getting angry at a 16 year old girl for not bringing down the loving mafia.

I think technically Makoto's 17. Which obviously CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

anakha posted:

That criticism was more about P5 (not Royal) in comparison to P4, and is based more on the comparative lack of slice of life scenes in the later game. The PTs (aside from Ryuji/Ann which have some backstory already) have lots of bonding scenes with Joker but not so much with each other, so it came across to come people as the PTs being friends with Joker and more of colleagues with each other.

Adding the Showtimes and more slice of life scenes in Royal helped a bit, but it's Strikers that finally got the 'big group of close friends' vibe right.

I just wish Makoto was having fun in her Showtime with Ryuji. Cut the dude the tiniest slice of a break.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not me instinctively going "Well I can stay up a little while longer, cat."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

the sex ghost posted:

More localisations that look like 20 year old anime fansubs imo. Just an entire screen of footnotes like 'pinku = Japanese word for pink'

"When they say the word 'date' they do not necessarily mean a romantic date as a Westerner understands the term but rather it can mean any kind of outing including romantic as 'date' is a loneword borrowed from the English language and furthermore you will find"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I figured this was obvious but yeah to clarify: The (1st) widescreen shot is of the yesterday released fan-translation of the PSP version (which by their own admission supposedly just uses the PSX script), while the (2nd) 4:3 one is of the 2000 PSX official translation. The fan-translators, for whatever reason, injected Japanese sentence fragments into sentences that the PSX translation had in perfectly fine English.

That makes it more 'authentic' to a lot of fansubbers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The iconic line

Does Makoto say anything to that?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Makoto does later confront her search for her own justice with her wanting to be a cop, I thought the storyline was handled well enough

Clearly her best option is to team with Chie and Akihiko and roam the earth dealing justice and only trusting their fists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately a big step backwards is that almost every adult woman in the game is willing to sleep with a teenage boy which is very ew.

It's really weird how 5 went so hard on that when as I recall in 4 what looked like was going to happen was just a fake out with the Devil contact and in 3 when the teacher found out that it was the MC she nearly collapsed in on herself like a dying star in embarrassment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Booky posted:

i forgot where i first read it (probably on these forums), but it's been noted wrt p5 that despite the chars all ostensibly being about outcasts in society they're a part of like 0 actual minority groups in japan (besides ann, and then they just do the "sexy" stuff with her later), and u could probably extend that to persona 4 too and how everyone being their "true selfs" is a major part of the writing or smth

Man they run out of story stuff for Ann and Ryuji super early on, don't they?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neeksy posted:

Yeah that's not a uniquely Japanese phenomenon or anything, but it does display a worldview that isn't exactly on the, uh, cutting edge of things.

There's still the point with Ann of 'reassuring hug = romantic' that bugs me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like to think Chie and Akihiko decided to do the proper thing and wandered the world helping people, only trusting their fists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pwnstar posted:

I hope when Chie grows up she makes some actual friends who tell her that being "feminine" is a fake idea.

"It's fine to wear pants." Which is something you could probably tell a lot of women JRPG protags.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mirello posted:

yeah, for the people complaining about naoto's slink above, I think makoto's is the worst. most of it isnt even about her, it's about stalking her friend.... lol. but yeah she really got done dirty after her awakening.

I dunno, it's not the best done or anything but broadly you could look at Makoto's S-Link as 'hey, you get to act like a teenager and that's fine.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does Takemi have a new voice actor in Royal?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Morgana's simping for Ann is kinda gross but also it's just simping, he never really gets into making sexually harassing comments the way Teddy does. Also Teddy eventually gets a human body and could like, potentially act on his weird poo poo which makes it worse. Morgana's a cat though so at worst it just comes off as pathetic and annoying. Hell even in the third semester when he temporarily becomes human, there's thankfully zero scenes of him trying to put the moves on Ann.

I am told his irritation quotient goes up by an order of magnitude if you date Ann so it really feels like he's going super Nice Guy and you can't do anything about it.

That said it's no 'TELL ME ABOUT THE YOUNG STUD YUKIKO' for the millionth time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AndrewP posted:

it's annoying that my guy is just this drooling dumbass who never has any clue of what's going on but is somehow Very Important

Welcome to being the Persona MC!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amppelix posted:

i'm pretty sure they weren't intending it to be, but one or the funnier parts of 5 is sae coming up with increasingly ridiculous pretenses under which she's interrogating you about the various confidants lol

This is even funnier to me if you're dating Makoto.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you HAD to have someone teach you sick gymnastics moves!!! WHO???

"Where did you get your skill at light gun games? TELL ME."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Subject is possible Coke addict. Clarification - the soda, not the drug. Related source on sight reports subject emptying out vending machines of one particular brand. Says he needs them for 'field trips.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also dang, Makoto following you around is really dorky and cute, I don't think I noticed it in my P5 playthrough. Might not have noticed without this thread, so thanks, whoever posted about it a page or 2 ago!

What made it funnier is she looks like she's trying to hide behind a copy of Shonen Jump, naturally making me think she's secretly a huge shonen battle dork (which is probably a valid read). Given her love of violent movies I like to think she's a big Chainsaw Man fan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

She also asks you to come see a kung fu flick with her at one point.

Even better, a New Battles Without Honor or Humanity-style yakuza flick. I knew we'd get along then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

The English VA in the original P5 seemed fine to me, aside from the :psyduck: mandate from the Japanese side to deliberately mis-pronounce the characters' names (but still call each other soandso-chan just to make it even more jarring). Can't exactly lay that one at the translators' feet either seeing as their hands were tied.

Wait, what? That was on purpose, the mispronouncing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think a lot of people who complain about it really care, exactly, but most don't seem to realize how involved in big productions Japanese studios are these days. For starters a lot of them confirm dub actors before they go to work. (How involved this process is probably varies, admittedly.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's some cut content that implies it was originally planned for her to be a more standard Confidant, including being able to be romanced.

"And now we come to the obvious evidence that you have help inside this very police force." Romantic music starts playing, Sae sweeps papers off the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

It is definitely a question about which out of the Joker showtime options wants to gently caress him more.

I get why they didn't but I wish Joker had showtimes with everybody.