Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm up to the 4th palace and feeling pretty burned out, send help. Trying to rush through every palace in one day is definitely contributing to viewing them as a chore, so maybe I need to stop doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really think Persona 6 should have a save you from yourself thing that breaks it up more since I assume feeling the need to rush is a common problem, but if they feel like it's not their problem if people choose to play in dumb ways that's fair.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sydin posted:

Honestly I hope whatever P6 turns out to be just leans into the fact that most people want to blitz the palace in a day and lets you. I also agree with the earlier sentiment that dungeon diving shouldn't take a timeslot and should have it's own dedicated time so those who can't/don't want to do a dungeon in one day aren't penalized.

I guess the question for me is if people would still want to blitz them if it didn't use up extra time slots to go back. Maybe some people would do it anyway, but I think a lot of the impetus for it now is min/maxing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gene Park (who I like) called the mispronunciation borderline racist recently, so it's funny to hear that it was mandated from Japan now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Finding out the woman singing all the lyrics is Japanese just blew my mind, wtf.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the genre threw me as much as anything, because my default expectation for a jazz/soul singer definitely isn't Japanese, but yeah looking back it does make sense. I'm pretty bad at picking up on lyrics in general, so I guess I didn't think too much about it being hard to understand/thought it was a stylistic choice until now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Isn't destroying society's conditioned apathy and indifference to corrupt authorities a pretty big plot point in the game? Reforming the police seems a lot less impossible in that environment.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I like the framing device of the flash forwards and how it feels like a big deal when you get a new confidant, but yeah the way they handled Sae's commentary was silly at best for a lot of them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yusuke had one moment where he seemed to be pretty into Ann for more than just detached artistic reasons. He's definitely repressed, but I don't think he's gay. Bi is always an option though I guess.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just started Strikers, and almost immediately got motion sick when allowed free rein in the first dungeon. Even when I got lost running around in palaces I don't remember that happening in P5, so it's pretty disappointing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

I think it's the writing playing into the idea that aside from the party the Confidants are more transactional even in-universe than the Social Links were in P3 and P4; Joker seeks these people out because they're useful to him, he doesn't meet them and become friends and then incidentally leverage their Power of Friendship into phenomenal cosmic power by accident.

Yeah it kind of felt like it was the game covering for the possibility that you might not like some of the confidants and just level them up to get their powers by saying yeah maybe Joker feels the same way. He's so reserved with most of them that it's not much of a stretch.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

I'm on rank 6 so I doubt I'll be able to bump it to 9 within like 20 days lol. I usually do dungeons in one "day" so I'd have at least 2 weeks minimum but Akechi's availability is already pretty transient.

You only need to get to 8.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm in the it's totally normal for Futaba to have a crush on Joker camp, and even that it would be weird if she didn't since he's obviously the person this severely socially deprived person is most comfortable being around (on top of at least figuratively and maybe literally saving her life), but also that it's by far the most uncomfortable romance in the game and the only one I could never see myself doing because it feels really hosed up to take advantage of someone in that position even if that's very much what they think they want. I think the sister thing is a bit overstated since they're not related, didn't grow up together, and aren't even under the same roof (and I don't think Sojiro is really that much of a parent to Joker), but it is a little bit of extra weirdness added on top. Add in that she hasn't started high school yet, even if she's only technically a year younger than Joker, and the whole thing could barely be more of a red flag if they tried.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Re: the Royal additions Did anyone think there should have been more focus on Haru and Futaba having a hard time working with their parents' murderer? I know it comes up in safe room conversations, but it still felt way too easy for me, and borderline handwaved away given how hard they beat a dead horse reiterating a bunch of other poo poo throughout the game. Especially when you add in the fact that he's one of the earliest/strongest proponents for going back to the reality where they're dead!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

In the main story I’m sure they were fine with it because the end result was him on the butt of their trap. In the third semester I don’t think they would have had the capacity to understand that Akechi was the person who killed them? I don’t remember the exact metaphysics of that alternate world but I think they make the decision with nothing more than “this isn’t reality and I trust Joker, we need to go back”. After that the existential threat of Maruki outweighed teaming up with Akechi.

or they know that joker thinks he’s dreamy and are also AkeShu shippers.

There's some optional safe room dialogue in Maruki's palace where it comes up, so they're well aware at that point at least, but yeah they decide to focus on the job over that. It just feels kind of insane that they can compartmentalize that easily and that the discomfort with it is mostly stashed away in optional dialogue. I think you nailed the real reason here though, which is that the writers knew a lot of fans were shippers and didn't want to have his presence be any more unpleasant than it had to be by rubbing it in the face of players that he murdered the parents of other major characters and they were having a crisis about it or something. I guess the third semester being probably a bit too truncated in general probably contributes too though.

Spiffster posted:

Drawing a blank… When does Crow admit that he killed Futabas mom?

I don't think it's made explicit, but it's hard to imagine what else the explanation could be, and she has dialogue suggesting she believes it to be true. He's responsible for all the other shutdowns, so having another mystery guy in the backstory who did it would be super unsatisfying. He did it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I had a lot of problems, including crashes, when I used the network features on game pass, so I played most of the game without it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

50 hours in, the game hasn’t crashed once for me. (I’m on Game pass too)

You’re not using Special K, right?

Wasn't using anything, so I have no idea why the network was such a problem, but I didn't care much about the network features anyway so no big deal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

explosivo posted:

Does the trust percentage in the loading screens roughly correlate to how far through the game you are?

Not really no

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think it's unethical for Joker to date Futaba because she has mental health problems, but I do think it's unethical for Joker to date her when she has mental health problems and he's practically her therapist. But whatever, it's just pixels so date whoever you want.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's kind of amazing that Persona 5 ended up being as good as it is once you realize what a stitched together mess of discarded ideas it is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Police would still exist under communism so Makoto wanting to join up with her eyes wide open about how hosed the system is and a demonstrated ability not to succumb to the kinds of social pressures that turn good people into bad cops seems like a good thing. Worst case scenario she realizes you can't actually fight the system from within and becomes Serpico or something after exposing a ton of corruption.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Police will always exist so if you really think it's so implausible that someone could change them for the better that even someone who punched god in the face would have no hope (and is in fact bad for even wanting to), you've basically taken the black pill and become a doomer.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Police are only a few hundred years old so I'm not sure they're intrinsic to civilisation.

That's not true, but okay since I can't imagine the distant future I'll amend it to they aren't going anywhere in our lifetimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is knowing whodunnit likely to ruin my enjoyment of 4 very much?