Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

About to start King Dipshit's route. Not looking forward to how dirty i'm going to feel afterwards. :(

E: lol, apparently trying to convince everyone else to go along with it made me feel so dirty that I couldn't bring myself to pick the right options to persuade them, guess we're doing Benedict's plan instead. :v:

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Smiling Knight posted:

Which variant? The boat one is easiest, because you can control when and how you engage. The castle garden one is tougher, as she will bum rush you with mage support and a couple of hawk riders harassing your back line.

I didn't realize there were multiple maps for this chapter but it's the castle one.

i think the fight is mostly fine but the regen + mages nuking you is absolutely brutal

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I didn't realize there were multiple maps for this chapter but it's the castle one.

i think the fight is mostly fine but the regen + mages nuking you is absolutely brutal

In that case, the goofy Jens method mentioned above can help. Otherwise, use the fountain as a buffer. Whichever side the boss heads to, stick either Benedict or Eriador in a one-tile choke in front of her and make your top priority keeping them full hp and defense buffed. This should buy enough time to deal with her support. I sent Anna, Milo, and Hughette on a big loop to take out the mages, who fall behind the melee dudes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Smiling Knight posted:

In that case, the goofy Jens method mentioned above can help.

Yesssss please do my Jens method. It was extremely silly and fun. I had to reset a few times to make sure she walked onto the spring trap, but once it hit the fight was HARD over.

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1528554150585171970

She should've taken her own advice :smugdog:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Poque posted:

Yesssss please do my Jens method. It was extremely silly and fun. I had to reset a few times to make sure she walked onto the spring trap, but once it hit the fight was HARD over.

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1528554150585171970

She should've taken her own advice :smugdog:

whoa thats sick, i should play more jens

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I've been thinking I should get back into this game, I left off around Ch. 13... about a year ago?

I'm tempted to start over, even though I know I'll have to play it four times, cause I think I wasted a lot of resources and my recruits are redundant (three mages in addition to Frederica) or too expensive for new game (the item throwers).

Is there a consensus on whether the stat upgrades for weapons are worth or not? +1 doesn't seem like a lot

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Scrap Dragon posted:

I've been thinking I should get back into this game, I left off around Ch. 13... about a year ago?

I'm tempted to start over, even though I know I'll have to play it four times, cause I think I wasted a lot of resources and my recruits are redundant (three mages in addition to Frederica) or too expensive for new game (the item throwers).

Is there a consensus on whether the stat upgrades for weapons are worth or not? +1 doesn't seem like a lot

There's no reason to start over, as there is no such thing as redundancy in this game; you may have 4 mages, but they all have their niche. Ice magic is great for hindering enemy movement/protecting your front line. Frederica is a single or multi-target damage queen, and her fire shield buff is amazing on your front line since it does percentage-based damage. Narve(?) is versatile and has the highest AOE potential. Your lightning mage is honestly probably the weakest of the bunch, but lightning is incredibly strong and her ultimate ability can turn battles around.

Also, you only get to directly recruit two people, as the rest (for all intents and purposes) is up to random chance on your first play through; there is no guarantee you'll get melee units if you restart. I would take a closer look at your units and consider if you're not undervaluing some of them. It shouldn't take too long to level up any you've neglected until now, since they will gain a level per action (any action other than wait) until they're within, I think 2 levels of the recommended mental mock battle or mission.

Regarding the stat upgrades:
It is better to improve your units' versatility/improve their existing moves than it is to improve their stats, since it doesn't make a huge difference unless you're doing the full upgrade tree for that stat. That said, once you hit New Game+, those level 1 items become incredibly common.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Frankly, even if you did start over and make different choices, it wouldn't change much about your magic heavy roster outside of getting Rudolph instead of Corentin. The conviction recruits are heavily skewed towards mages and support units, especially early on, that's just how it is. The only straightforward physical attacker before you hit the penultimate tier of recruits is Archibald. ...Now that I think about it, he might actually be at that penultimate tier too, I'm not sure. Past that, you've got... Julio and Lionel, if you squint? And Julio's best damage move is technically magical anyway.

Fake edit: Oh right, Hossabara too, I guess.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I think a good argument for not restarting is that it takes 4 playthroughs to absolutely do everything as you mentioned (though I think 2-3 is fine if you are good with missing a handful of recruits). You'll get more resources as you do more new game pluses and so you'll eventually be able to recruit and max out everyone. Especially if you're already at chapter 13. Having all the mages is fine. I had a similiar comp for my first playthrough and it did just fine.

Mages are very strong in this game. Frederica is amazing at taking out single targets, Frost guy is good at controlling maps, Narve has lightning which is one of the best elements. Ditto shaman lady. Also for that matter the regular cast is also very powerful. You already get the best tank, one of the best archers, and some excellent physical damage dealers right out of the gate. Serenoa is kinda mediocre and Roland is squishy but other than that. Also Jens is broken as hell if you take the time to figure out his kit. So you got options.

The item throwers are among the most powerful units in the game too but are limited by your resources. Don't worry about them until later playthroughs. Medina can absolutely break the game once you get her set up but that's more a second playthrough thing.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I guess won't start over if the early conviction recruits are the same regardless, I just have a thing about not liking returning to an old save file like this cause it doesn't even feel like mine anymore.

I'm also well aware of how good Fred and the ice guy are, I specifically went to Hyzante to recruit him after how good he was in the first demo. And I also get how good mages in general, but it's just a pain in the rear end defending them when my army is so squishy as it is. I do also remember how busted Jens is, it's great.

Right now I'm struggling with the bridge map where you fight Frederica's horrible siblings, I went with her plan to retake the castle. My initial plan was to scurry down the ladders on the sides and funnel the enemies to my guys one at a time but movement is so low in this game half my army keeps biting it before they can make it there.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I guess won't start over if the early conviction recruits are the same regardless, I just have a thing about not liking returning to an old save file like this cause it doesn't even feel like mine anymore.

I'm also well aware of how good Fred and the ice guy are, I specifically went to Hyzante to recruit him after how good he was in the first demo. And I also get how good mages in general, but it's just a pain in the rear end defending them when my army is so squishy as it is. I do also remember how busted Jens is, it's great.

Right now I'm struggling with the bridge map where you fight Frederica's horrible siblings, I went with her plan to retake the castle. My initial plan was to scurry down the ladders on the sides and funnel the enemies to my guys one at a time but movement is so low in this game half my army keeps biting it before they can make it there.

That map is one of the hardest in the game so yeah I understand the frustration. Thinking about it, I'd say the hardest maps in general are a few of the ones associated with Fred's choices.

Though you have a secret weapon in Jens at least. Cause you know it would be a shame if one or both of the twins happened to be knocked off the bridge. Especially if they also cant use the ladder to get back up because one of your units is standing on it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can also fly up the ladder and rain arrows outside the stated range of the unit

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lol at Serenoa blithely adding Picoletta to the roster. Hello juggling child, you want to fight in the war? yeah, ok, sure

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the juggling child has immediately become my most valuable soldier

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

the juggling child has immediately become my most valuable soldier

Yup, she's low-key broken. So is the other "orphan" you conscript into service later.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

why does this game have reams upon reams of terribly written dialogue?

it really gets in the way of playing the game. maybe if they had good dialogue it would be different. but they don't.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its call art, look it up. they put this game in several museums, you buffoon. don delillo said its better than his books.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

JuniperCake posted:

Yup, she's low-key broken. So is the other "orphan" you conscript into service later.

Is it because of the free meat shield she makes, or is it later things?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Is it because of the free meat shield she makes, or is it later things?

The fact that the enemy always prioritizes those with how the AI works is a huge plus yes. But it's also that she has more HP than your other mages with much higher evasion and also has decent speed + very good movement/jump. Once you get the highest tier thrown elemental stones she does comparable damage to your other mages as well in-between spamming decoys.She also has the flexibility of having access to multiple types like Narve. Her individual hits still hit for less than Fred's spells but it doesn't cost her tp to throw items and she can just spam. She doesn't need set up, or to be fed tp or be far behind your frontline to do her job safely. That's what gives her an edge.

There's also some shennigans you can do with her ultimate copy ability on top of that but that's secondary to everything else.

She does have a downside of her attacks costing money but other than that she is a very powerful unit.

Though it should be said, almost every single unit in this game has some use and can be very powerful in the right circumstances. Like it's really impressive how distinctive and useful most units are in this game. Even weird ones that seem useless will tend to have one weird trick that can break the game if you abuse it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't use her at all

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah I saw a clown child and immediately banished her to the back of the line. Unfortunately I also did that to Medina and she's apparently broken af, ha

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I never got the appeal. The low durability and attack power on the decoy combined with the relatively high TP cost meant it wasn't able to deflect all that much damage. Maybe it was better on the harder difficulty, but on normal, it just wasn't worth it. I tried a few times but wound up benching her forever.

I should have given her another shot when money was no longer an issue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

aggro management is very powerful

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah she's incredibly good, especially in New Game Plus when money is less of an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Piccoletta has an interesting trajectory since her decoy is best early on but her boosted items get easier to use later. Unfortunately I find her to be pretty underwhelming. The stats of the decoy fall off so hard that it can really only take one good hit once characters start hitting their last tier. It also goes from being able to do some chip to hitting for 1 damage on any enemy that's not a mage. She can still be handy against short ranged bosses with the decoy because it inflicts max HP % damage on death. It's hard to justify spending a bunch of money on attack items early on because money is just so tight and later she doesn't keep up with the power of mages when they start getting the stronger passives.