Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Nintendo published the survey results:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/triangle-strategy-debut-demo-survey-results-nintendo-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did they get a new English VA for the main character, or at the very least have that guy give it another pass? Because he was the weak link for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Did they get a new English VA for the main character, or at the very least have that guy give it another pass? Because he was the weak link for me.

Don't see anything about that in the changes but god I hope so. He was AWFUL

Looks like they took most of the other common complaints into account though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wish it were just called “delta symbol” Strategy so it would confuse google E’s.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Something anything would’ve been better. gently caress give it a dumb subtitle like that new Voice of the Cards if you need to.

I get that it’s what people know it as now but it’s a sort of tired gimmick that was perfect for Untitled Goose Game, silly with Octopath Traveler, and now it’s just dumb and lazy.

Game looks real good though. Looking forward to spring. May be my birthday present to myself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i know what strategy means

but what the gently caress is a triangle

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I don't see anything in the survey about making the dialogue a bit more to the point.

Those characters were overly chatty.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, do you think you'll be going Liberty, Morality or Utility for your first playthrough?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still not clear enough on how that system works to make a choice like that in advance. I'll just follow my instincts and see how the story unfolds before diving into how it actually functions in a later playthrough perhaps

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i know what strategy means

but what the gently caress is a triangle

It's a translation error, it should Tri-anglo. It's the story of three white folk.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Icosahedron Tactics.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, we have hexagon-based strategy games, and square-based strategy games, why not a triangle-based grid? It'd work as far as tiling goes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apologies for the double post, but I was doing some research and found this half-Spanish, half-English shot of another Scales of Conviction moment

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Junpei posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I was doing some research and found this half-Spanish, half-English shot of another Scales of Conviction moment

Weird. But I'm up for a multi-lingual experience. Keeps you on your toes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tokyo Game Show trailer didn't really offer much more info, sadly.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon UK has the special edition up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09H88KTKV?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whoops, should've saw this yesterday. Already out of stock.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxFwqgTY8Y

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1486074183541010439?s=21

I love me some insane JRPG jargon, so I know I’m gonna love this game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Is that a March or April release date? Doesn't matter I suppose, I'll still get it for my birthday in April, but still I always like when it's punctual.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Is that a March or April release date? Doesn't matter I suppose, I'll still get it for my birthday in April, but still I always like when it's punctual.

It’s NOA so that would be March 4th.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't finished the demo but I did spend a few hours on it up to the big battle with the exploding houses and it was certainly hard, it was also fair too.

Good they're implementing an auto button for cutscenes because that poo poo pisses me off. IDK why basic things like that weren't included from the get go, bravely default had dumb poo poo missing like that too and they only included it allegedly because of feedback from the survey.

On another note, anyone else think the graphical performance (load time aside) was pretty laggy and sub 30fps?

Given the precedent, I may just wait for it to come out on PC before buying it instead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There were definitely effects that made the framerate tank, like the house explosions/flames effect. It’s the Switch so I’m not too bothered by it, that’s just part of the deal. A fine trade-off for being able to play it in handheld.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

https://youtu.be/iPy1wa-1KWQ

New trailer just dropped, featuring a sneak peek at what character progression looks like

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Scrap Dragon posted:

https://youtu.be/iPy1wa-1KWQ

New trailer just dropped, featuring a sneak peek at what character progression looks like

I'm so fuckin HYPE for this game holy poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not liking the voice acting but it looks great otherwise.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bongo Bill posted:

The British-accented characters sound fine, but every American-accented character sounds flat

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ace Transmuter posted:

The British-accented characters sound fine, but every American-accented character sounds flat

Just like in real life

Seems like a Fire Emblem job progression (possibly branching job paths?) with skill trees, that sounds good to me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah same, if there's an option to put it in Japanese or even off, I may just do that and skip listening to it if I can't.

I've never been a fan of voice acting, especially with skippable dialogue. I just read so much faster and the actors rarely are up to the task.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just like in real life

Seems like a Fire Emblem job progression (possibly branching job paths?) with skill trees, that sounds good to me.

Progression is good. Branching jobs is ok... I just hope it doesn't go full customizable. I like when the options are limited. The game tends to be more balanced and I get far less choice paralysis. It seems like every character will have a set of limited options which will make for fun replays.

The branching paths make it seem like there's going to be a bunch of different maps which is very cool.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ace Transmuter posted:

Watching the trailer I kept thinking how much better it would sound if they went the FFXII route of British accents all the way through. The voice acting isn't really doing much for so hopefully it can be turned off (or has a volume slider I can set to 0).

The game has me super pumped otherwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe if this game does well we'll get Tactics Ogre on steam...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd rather have this game on steam tbh; isn't it switch only?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

For now, but Octopath eventually made its way to Steam

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

For now, but Octopath eventually made its way to Steam

As has most sqex games lately. Seeing how this also uses the unreal engine, there's no good reason why it won't by the end of the year. I'll just play it then

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give me every ogre game on the switch pls

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mezzanon posted:

Give me every ogre game on the switch pls

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can already play all thr Tactics Ogre games on PC :evilbuddy:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Countblanc posted:

You can already play all thr Tactics Ogre games on PC :evilbuddy:

It's true. They're good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I would go bananas for a new Ogre game. 64 is slept on a lot, probably because the OG is the best but it did some really cool stuff. Personally I'd like to see less obfuscation of stuff like Chaos Frame but that is part of the charm tbh.

I've been really hungry for a deep, well written SRPG since the combination is few and far between so I'm optimistic about Triangle Strategy. It needs to be March already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Levantine posted:

It needs to be March already.

Wow, this game comes out in one month exactly, I didn't even realize. There go my March plans.