Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

I'm an awful photographer here, but these contour lines, so close together indicate a cliff. They read 200m, 205, 210, 215 and 220m with an interval of 5m.

I can confirm that its a cliff having been there. Observe:

Also note in the map photo, that white line running through the middle with the dark line that has dots on it. That is the electrical transmission towers shown in the photo of the cliff. As well as the swamp feature that sticks out from the bottom of the map photo.

Seems like this is the key to getting started. Just grab a map and a compass and get out there. I remember being intimidated by all the technical seeming aspects, and avoided engaging at all. Then I just gave it a whirl and found it fun and much easier than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I especially enjoy mount Great Cockup, and Bob's Law.

We got to know a little section of map very well, also with a focus on efficiency.

See the skinny waterway on the left? That's three finger cove. There's a helpful trail marked on the map, starting at a typical water taxi drop off. Of course the trail is totally buried this time of year, but the lake is also frozen, so easy travel to the cabin. Thus we brought loads of glamping gear, 2 burner stove, fresh eggs, the works. Probably around 350 lbs for 4 adults and a toddler. Which was top of the mind when the boat starts pulling in to a beach on the north side of the "wrist" of the cove (right by the east-most *). Even our hoped for drop off we knew we'd have to go over the 100 ft contour, so we weren't completely unprepared. Still, pulling sleds we had to seek out a line that wasn't too steep, in addition to wanting to minimize distance and vert. I did 5 carries over two of the more treacherous gullies. Calculating our route is left as an exercise to the reader.