Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Remember when Chikara was good

No.

Just kidding I remember 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/EBischoff/status/1773321462046138615

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mr E posted:

Wrestling is good, I think.

Checks out.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Wrestling Social Media Thread: ► 5:20 Swamp Monster Appears

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Imagine trying to outpost Tony

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Chuck Taylor
Also known as Chuckie T, DUSTIN, Mr. Azerbaijan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/RobViper/status/1773135430260494465?s=20

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I loving love Lucha

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/AmericanNumbers/status/1773141078616490190?t=MOWXiJ-jZMZoGYLtgbkq0Q&s=19

:3:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

I loving love Lucha

:yeah:

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

"A money mark" F- work, see me after class Eric

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JethroMcB posted:

Checks out.

Wait, Malcolm Bivens. Wasn't that Stokely's name in WWE? Was ... Was STOKELY the second Chuck Taylor?!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Whoops wrong thread

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You all mock Bischoff but he's got a great idea where you have an invading force of motorcycle enthusiasts that try to take over a company that's going to really revolutionise things.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait, Malcolm Bivens. Wasn't that Stokely's name in WWE? Was ... Was STOKELY the second Chuck Taylor?!

There was a very funny story where Stokely copyrighted the name Chuck Taylor and started wrestling as CHUCK TAYLOR™ so Chuck had to keep changing his ring name so he wouldn't get sued for copyright violation. Chuck Taylor™'s CHIKARA roster pic is an all time great Stokely Face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:kiss:

Gonzo McFee posted:

You all mock Bischoff

Gonzo McFee posted:

a great idea

You make a good point!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There was a very funny story where Stokely copyrighted the name Chuck Taylor and started wrestling as CHUCK TAYLOR™ so Chuck had to keep changing his ring name so he wouldn't get sued for copyright violation. Chuck Taylor™'s CHIKARA roster pic is an all time great Stokely Face.

OH MY GOD

E:

https://i.imgur.com/o64Lr4d.mp4

"Chuck Taylor™ gets chopped by a line of fans including a baby"

Oooooh I wish so hard I had been watching wrestling when Chikara was a thing, god drat, this feels precisely like my jam.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

We can all see the RoH skirt on the apron there, meaning it's either very early or very late. Who does this joker think he's fooling?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CaptainApathyUK posted:

We can all see the RoH skirt on the apron there, meaning it's either very early or very late. Who does this joker think he's fooling?

its all confirmation bias. Folks who hate aew see it and go see see. There is no actual discussion on twitter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

HE SOLD FOR THE BABY!

Whole body launched into the air, amazing :lol:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DOUBLE OH MY GOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3OjavRUEmg

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

CaptainApathyUK posted:

WWE stans
Other podcasters
Most of r/squaredcircle

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oooooh I wish so hard I had been watching wrestling when Chikara was a thing, god drat, this feels precisely like my jam.

well you also didn't have to witness the decline, so you skipped out on the suffering too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OH MY GOD

E:

lol I actually went to this and it was like the one Chikara show I've ever seen

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

You all mock Bischoff but he's got a great idea where you have an invading force of motorcycle enthusiasts that try to take over a company that's going to really revolutionise things.

Does he have Ted turner or panda energy footing the bill

Cuz if not, I have bad news

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I know one of the fans in the GIF personally lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Does he have Ted turner or panda energy footing the bill

Cuz if not, I have bad news

It was bad news in both those cases as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I know one of the fans in the GIF personally lol

Tell the baby to really lay it in next time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

It was bad news in both those cases as well

There was at least a week or 83 where it wasn’t always bad

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Tell the baby to really lay it in next time.

You got it!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

That baby's name? Chuck Taylor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Move over Dave Meltzer, wrestling has a new style icon.

https://twitter.com/ChazTaylor713/status/1766386774916407428

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

To add to this, OG Chuck had spent the previous year doing a retirement tour. He did this a couple times in the indies because he was genuinely always on the cusp of giving up. Like the other times, this thankfully turned out to be bogus, but Chikara turned it into a storyline. The idea being that, no, you said you were retiring so that means you lost the rights to being Chuck Taylor and that random guy picked it up when you weren't looking. Be someone else.

Other than Stokely being Stokely and all the different names OG Chuck had to use, one of the best parts of the angle was that Chuck TM inherited the friend group and Orange Cassidy acted like he'd never seen OG Chuck before in his life.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OH MY GOD

E:

I was part of that chop line! I think I might be seen in the background of that gif.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

well you also didn't have to witness the decline, so you skipped out on the suffering too

To be fair, that angle was part of the decline. Nearly everything positive after the company's hiatus ended up having a payoff that was either terrible or non-existent. Chuck Taylor TM falls into the latter. They became a tag team who wore sweaters and... nothing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, as hilarious as Chuck TM was, if you want to revisit CHIKARA you might as well pretend the company really did die before Ashes. Then again, on the return IPPV you get "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington, the funniest wrestling entrance possibly ever so maybe you can watch that one too and then stop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

My favorite part is him giving Tony poo poo for only getting this far with Shad's money was Eric's "success" consisted of spending Ted Turners money (after getting position that was awarded because he kissed the right asses) and largely getting hot because of an angle proposed by one of his subordinates that also ended up helping kill the company.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Gavok posted:

To be fair, that angle was part of the decline. Nearly everything positive after the company's hiatus ended up having a payoff that was either terrible or non-existent. Chuck Taylor TM falls into the latter. They became a tag team who wore sweaters and... nothing.

oh gently caress, it was.

well, they didn't have to watch Icarus, Super Face

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, as hilarious as Chuck TM was, if you want to revisit CHIKARA you might as well pretend the company really did die before Ashes. Then again, on the return IPPV you get "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington, the funniest wrestling entrance possibly ever so maybe you can watch that one too and then stop.

Wait

Is "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington DALTON CASTLE?!

E:

Ah, no -- this is a Mei Suruga - Mei Saint-Michel situation.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ashley Remington, another thing that was awesome, but just ended abruptly. At least he found better success by trading his yacht for his Boys.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

As much as I love AEW I don’t think anything will ever top the excitement of getting a new King of Trios in the mail.

AEW should do their own King of Trios. Make it a two night ppv, 16 teams, bring in some foreign talent, do a couple fun matches on the second night with the first round losers. It’d probably be bigger than Wrestlemania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, KoT was such a good idea and well executed, always had a good mix of int'l talent, old duffers who could still be entertaining or sometimes still had ability, and independent guys who clearly needed a bigger spotlight

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 28, 2024