Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yo

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its too late to delete my dreck, i have to roll with it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

Just found this thread, good luck to everyone participating! If there's another one at a similar time I'm in since it's Saturday morning here. :)

write a story in 30 minutes

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aardvark! posted:

golly i hope the judges weren't expecting or hoping for the stories to actually be good or anything

e: bad timing posting that right after the first story. i'm talking about MY story being bad

same lol dw

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Night

680 words

Like a sheet descending, night came quick and without warning. The forty-fifth occurrence since Earth was devoured. We opened our umbrellas and kept walking home from detention.

“What? I didn’t catch that last part.”

Wendy didn’t repeat herself, even after the snapping died down. “Forget it.”

“You used to used to look at the stars together, right?” Wendy didn’t look up. “He told me about this one time. He said you told him why you love the constellations. Because it’s like a bunch of cool animals in the sky.”

Wendy wasn’t telling me to shut up yet, which was all the encouragement I needed to keep talking. “Well, I know some of them are people, not animals, but whatever.” I looked at Wendy’s face anticipating some small reaction, but she was unreadable. “Anyway, um...”

I wanted to say something comforting about how Dan would live on in the stars, but considered too late that my brand of painful irony was probably not what Wendy needed right now. And just as I was beginning to understand how astronomically bad I was at this whole thing, the sky slithered and we stopped walking.

I turned to Wendy, every movement of my neck feeling like a death sentence. “Hey,” I said. “Hey!” I said more firmly, and waited for her eyes to look at me. “You need to stop thinking that kind of stuff. Okay? You need to stop that right now.”

We hurried home more quickly after that, making sure to stay hidden under our umbrellas. We lived next to each other, so I’d been walking her home ever since my brother passed away. I was worried about how she’d fare through the night, but her parents had been good to her, so I felt a weight leave my shoulders when I saw her off.

Of course, being alone with my thoughts was hardly preferable, but there’s nothing wrong with a little self-pity from the safety of your own home. The ceiling blocks it from them, so it’s fine.

A couple hours later, I heard a thump from outside my window on the side facing Wendy’s house. About time, I thought. I’d been hoping some small ones would touch down in the area. Considering Wendy’s state of mind on our walk home, they were bound to sniff it out eventually.

I took my hand-axe from the nightstand, crossbow from the dresser, and six bolts from the desk drawer, which I shoved into my sweatshirt pocket for easy retrieval. I cannot overstate how enthusiastic I was about hunting demons, nor how cathartic it felt to do so.

I rushed out of my house and nearly barrelled headfirst into one at head height, probably on its way down. It didn’t take more than one swing. These were easy to kill, but the rush was exhilarating. Like their blood was filling a cup inside me, and I had been so parched. They didn’t actually bleed anything, but that’s still how it felt for me.

I made my way toward Wendy’s house, slaying and slaying and slaying as I went. No real goal in my mind, just killing until I got tired of it. These things weren’t a real danger to anyone over the age of six, and bigger fish had more valuable sources of food than this podunk suburb.

I looked up. The night sky, as we’d become accustomed to calling it, was alive with motion. Like a huge sheet suspended in the air, it was impossible to make out the individual shapes which constituted it.

I don’t know if it was just some subconscious connection, but a flash of grief for my brother shot through my mind and my enthusiasm ebbed even faster than it’d come. I kicked a demon to the side which had been gnawing on my leg and walked dispassionately back to my front door.

I looked up again absent-mindedly, and just for a split second I let myself feel. The sky slithered violently and I was grinning as I stepped back inside. I’d kill the bigger ones, someday.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(side note: talk about rushed endings! i didnt know what the hell to do with the ideas i'd introduced lmao)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how did some of you write so many words??

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just realized the stories would be copy-pasted so rip to the two (2) italicized words in my story

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my problem was that when i was satisfied with my act 1 and transition into act 2, i noticed i only had 30 minutes left and where i WANTED to put an action sequence and better emotional pacing, I could no longer fit one.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
btw, every single time i wrote an adverb, i could hear sebmojo shaming me in the back of my head. so thanks for that, seb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cursory impressions of the first 2 entries before i realized how many there are and got lazy:

fishception:
a little hard to follow at first, but i like the premise of "mysterious mine investigation", once it was clear that's what was happening.
still a bit hard to follow, though it does read kind of like a nightmare, which isn't a bad thing. i had an enjoyable spook. enjoyable character voice too.

Rhymes With Clue:
this one had me fully engaged from beginning to end, which is not a given with me lol. though after finishing it, i admit im kind of confused what to take away from the resolution. for a moment i thought it would have some kind of horror ending where zanna's depiction of the spider comes true or whatever, but it kind of left me wondering why zanna is suddenly okay, if not for murdery horror reasons. my best guess is that she discovered that she could channel her feeling of hate into her art and then forgave her roommates because they allowed her to get in touch with it (or she thought they did, anyway).
also, i feel like the prompts were included sort of superficially, instead of a major element of the story. which isn't a crime, just an observation

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 6, 2021