Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MSU battled back after dropping G1 to Tulane's nasty ace with back-to-back walk-off wins. Game 2 ended with a walk-off grand slam after Tulane kinda leaves their closer hanging out to dry. Game 3 ended with Tulane taking the lead in the top of the 9th only for us to come right back and walk it off again. My heart can't take a whole season of this.

Game 2 salami

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1365810201840918529?s=20

Slow-mo bat drop

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1365855919351861249?s=20

And Tanner Allen breaking his like 0 for 4 slump on the day with the walk-off

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1366146817600020481?s=20

elentar posted:

yesterday was another wild day, in addition to Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, Louisville, and Miami all lost to unranked teams—only Arkansas survived out of the top 6.

This is guaranteed to be a weird season. Probably more parity amongst the different leagues this year thanks to the shortened MLB draft and extra COVID eligibility. Lots of guys still in school who would probably be in the minors right now in a normal year.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Was that first walkoff a GS? Scoreboard showed runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Either way...loving bomb.

Yeah, they had the scoreboard wrong. The guy on first had just gotten walked (think it was intentional too, can’t remember) and Hancock pulled the trigger on the first pitch.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We took the series 2-1 against a solid Kent State team today and threw a combined no-hitter (with a few nice defensive plays to preserve it including this one for the last out https://streamable.com/zqhzbk ). I'm liking this squad a lot this year!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Popete posted:

Boston College came back to win against Auburn in extra innings after being down 8 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, what a crazy game.

Just absurd lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ja6A2tVsuw

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

PitchingNinja guy was tweeting Kumar Rocker clips all weekend, I guess he had a really dominant game

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368293947043381252

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368311160576090114

It’s not fair that they have Leiter too

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So it turns out we're a pretty good pitching squad. Some highlights:

- 2.25 team ERA striking out 219 of 515 batters faced. That's close to half.
- It's not obvious from the pic, but we've got probably 5 or 6 guys that could be legit SEC weekend starters. We've just gotta pick 3 before next weekend.
- Landon Sims looks to be settling in as our likely closer. He's faced 42 batters and struck out 30 of them

e: nvm no pic

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

Friday night's Southern Miss v. Louisiana Lafayette got lit.

https://twitter.com/SECbaseball/status/1370771032143958017?s=20

Did I see that right? 74 pitches by the 2nd inning? That's a tough night drat lmao

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Popete posted:

So it turns out Kumar Rocker might be human after all, gave up 2 runs today. His first of the season.

Vandy's "#2" guy Leiter comes out the next day and throws a CG no-hitter. Unreal. I think he was also just one walk from throwing a perfect game (he walked the first batter he faced of the game).

In other news, we took the series at LSU yesterday. Our pitching staff has a 0.56 ERA over our last 81 innings pitched. No one has better starters than Vandy, but we might have a better overall staff cause our bullpen is ridiculous.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

The last four or five series that Arkansas and Miss State have had were home sweeps so I wasn’t expecting much out of this weekend but by God the Hogs went to Starkville and took all 3 games. Part of me thinks “Going to #3 and sweeping them should make us #1!” But then I remember the ridiculous pitching Vandy has and lol I don’t think they will lose a series this season

I was expecting kind of a down year for Arkansas tbh and so I’m waiting for things to fall apart, but I’m absolutely thrilled with this start

That was a tough one to watch for me. Our pitching has been pretty much our only bright spot this season and y’all hit what, 9? 10? homers on the weekend? Y’all are on another level compared to us for sure. This squad still has the pieces to make some noise in the post season, though. Prob won’t be able to stay in the hunt for a National seed, though.

Also, I didn’t see every homer y’all hit, but good lord every one I saw was a no-doubter. Arky has some fuckin pop in their lineup

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 30, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Speaking of Vandy, they got absolutely throttled by Georgia last night 14-2. I think Georgia hit 7 HRs in the game? Rocker gave up 2 or 3 I think. Uncharacteristic game for him, but he'll bounce back for sure. Will be interesting to see how Leiter does today.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We took the series against Ole Miss this weekend and my god the atmosphere at the Dude looked insane. Also, y'all may not know it yet but Landon Sims is the best closer in college baseball. This dude is near about untouchable. 24.1 IP, 0.37 ERA, 47 Ks, and opponents hitting 0.133 against him. Ole Miss has some really good bats and both times Sims came in he made them look helpless. Just totally dominant.

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1383907013206306821?s=20

Context - this was the rubber match yesterday. Bases loaded and Tanner Allen up to bat in a tied game. He scorches a bases-clearing triple out to right-center and the place explodes.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I wonder what percentage of that crowd is vaccinated

I'd set the O/U at 5%, but you've got to consider this is God's Country and the Spirit of Baseball is watching over these folks.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We used to run the metallic gold helmets in the Egg Bowl. Baller move imo, nothing but respect

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 23, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Vandy and Arkansas are locked into a knife fight for 1 and 2 in the SEC, should be a fun last four weeks

No doubt these two have separated themselves from the rest of the SEC. I feel like we're a rung below with the likes of OM/Tenn/SC. All of these teams could make some serious noise in the post season, though.

We managed to grab a nice W against a better Vandy squad this weekend and actually gave Leiter one of his worst starts of the season. Going into last weekend, I told myself all we needed was to not get swept, and we managed that. We're now comfortably on the downhill portion of our regular season schedule and, barring a total collapse, should put together a very respectable SEC record. I guess host sites will be selected in the next few weeks as well? Will be interesting to see how this goes. If we win the remainder of our SEC series, I feel like we've got a very solid shot to secure a national seed.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

I know y’all lost a series so of course you got moved down (although I don’t believe splitting 2-1 with Vandy should require any drop, just know how the rankers think), but I have no idea why y’all slipped two spots to #6 in D1 Baseball or why TCU jumped ahead of y’all. For my money y’all are a top 3 team and I am glad we have already played you, I don’t think we would win all 3 if we played again this weekend. Since they are picking the host sites on May 10th, there’s no way you get left out of hosting a super regional unless y’all get swept by A&M this weekend or somethin else ridiculous.

SEC is scary. If Arkansas drops a series and if Vandy drops another then all of a sudden things are wide open again. That second tier you mention is definitely more of a 1b than a 2.

Obviously Arkansas being good helps but the conference as a whole being so strong means I have watched more college baseball this year than I ever have before. Feels nice

Same man. It's a shame college baseball doesn't have a bigger following, cause it's such a great sport.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yep, some of my fondest memories in school took place behind the RF wall at The Dude. I haven’t been back since we built the new stadium, really gotta change that.

When I was in school, each person was allowed to bring their own cooler filled with whatever if you were in the outfield. Some of the drunkest I’ve ever been took place behind that RF wall too lmao

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Umpire in Arkansas/Georgia got hurt, ~15 minute delay, Pallette (starting pitcher) struggled to adapt to new strike zone and then this happened

https://twitter.com/OtisKirk23/status/1391193101541195784

Gave up an in the park two run shot on a ball that was a weak grounder to back to the pitcher. Made the game 3-3, now Georgia up 5-3 heading into the 8th and the Arkansas bats just don't look like they've got it tonight.

Gotta win the rubber match tomorrow, but Georgia moved their lineup so their #1 guy is going tomorrow. Might lose our hold on #1 in the country and SEC.

EDIT: SEC Combined Standings

Arkansas 16-7
Vandy 16-7
Miss State 16-7
Tenn 16-7
Florida 15-9
Ole Miss 14-9

Man we swept Miss State and they're still right here with us, those dang double headers were the death of Arkansas this is definitely excuse making, just frustrated with losing to a bad georgia team

We managed to throw away the Sunday sweep against SC so y'all still got a game on us. Tied with Tenn of all teams for the conference currently. I do like our schedule the rest of the way compared to y'all, though, so if we win what we're supposed to and y'all stumble, we could still end up regular season co/champs.

Man you could just tell watching that Sunday game that SC wanted it worse than us even though both teams left some double-digit number of runners stranded. Still, a road series win against a very solid squad is hard to beat. I believe that will be enough to pretty much guarantee us a national seed.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Man that's awful, hope he still gets to go in the 1st round, but I guess that depends on what recovery looks like and teams may not have enough time between surgery and the draft to tell.

There's rumblings that Leiter is getting shut down for the year, too.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Lordy that's a lotta K's

We managed to screw around and drop the game last night, so our series with Mizzou comes down to today's game. Despite their record, they've played us fairly well (on top of us struggling some). I think we needed a sweep here if we wanted to challenge Arkansas for the SEC regular season title, though.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

I have been worried for a few weeks now that because Arkansas wasn’t sweeping series that it would be possible to go 10-0 for the weekends and come out without the #1 seed in the conference tournament but enough results have gone our way elsewhere this weekend where that’s no longer a possibility. Win 2 at home next weekend and its done.

I would never have guessed this team had this in them. Wow.

It's easy to nitpick on a game-to-game and series-to-series basis, but imo Arkansas has pretty clearly been the most consistently strong team in the SEC this season. Every other team has stumbled at some point, but y'all haven't lost a series yet, right?

e: And Vandy just lost another series. Arkansas is firmly in the driver's seat for the regular season title. I'm just hoping at this point we can take the series from Bama next weekend to preserve our national seed spot

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 16, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

That’s from the D1 baseball rankings: https://d1baseball.com/top-25/d1-baseball-top-25-chaos-abound-after-arkansas/

At best Tennessee should have moved up a spot because of MSU’s drop and Arky/Vandy stay as is. I don’t understand how a team that didn’t do anything this past weekend jumps 3 spots.

Texas..... is back

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright regular season over, let's check in on ole Lando Sims and see how that turned out

Just totally dominant. Kopps deserves SEC pitcher of the year for total body of work, but Sims is one of the most absurd college closers I've ever seen. The stats don't even tell the whole story. Batters just look totally helpless facing him.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

But Kopps has been the most important player on Arkansas this year, and often the best player on highest ranked teams wins awards so fingers crossed.

Yeah, Kopps has a strong argument for straight-up Player of the Year, not just pitcher. He is the clear MVP on a team that has more talent than most.

Btw, Matt Wyatt (former MSU media guy) just released a doc on college baseball's scholarship limit. I haven't finished it yet, but it's been really good so far. Definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cKh4fo6Bg

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Turned on UF-MSU after getting back from Costco.

:staredog:

Ok then.

It's a good thing the tournament games should be meaningless for us cause we sure are playing like it. I expected to give up some runs given we're not pitching our main guys, but wow we've looked bad in pretty much every other phase of the game, too.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Not even jacked up to blow us out for stealing Dan Mullen smh

Cerantola on the mound now, comeback mode initiated

e: impossible to square this guy up, even he doesn't know where the ball is going once it leaves his hand, pure deception

also, I had mentally prepared for the mulldog breakup years before it happened, so I'm being an Adult about all this

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 26, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

And we get run-ruled in the 7th, just how we drew it up

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Run-ruled again lmao. We uh, haven't exactly impressed here late in the season. Not impossible for us to lose our national seed with a showing like this.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm nervous about the Vandy game tbqh

I think we can all agree here that conference tournament results are ultimately meaningless and in no way indicative of a team’s trajectory heading into the post-season =]

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Paul Manieri retiring at LSU out of nowhere, possibly trying to buoy LSU's borderline tournament resume? Disappointed to lose a great coach out of left field since I think the future is really bright for the program, but here's hoping we don't end up with another Smoke Laval situation...

Yeah seems a bit premature to announce now unless they’re hoping the selection committee will see this as a Cinderella opportunity

Regardless, I think it’s high time Andy Cannizzaro made his triumphant return to the college ranks. How much trouble could he get in back home in BR anyways???

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Going by the response to the bracket, it sounds like we’ve got one of the easiest roads to Omaha. Not getting off the bus in Hoover pays off, folks.

Now we just wait for Campbell to inexplicably emerge victorious and then take down ND on their Cinderella run.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

drat, ten-runned twice in a row and still roped a national seed.

Just like we drew it up

Probably the first national seed to ever get 2&Q'd from their conference tournament on run-rules both times. I think we also got run-ruled in our last tournament game against LSU in 2019, so that's three in a row now lmao.

The more I look at this bracket, the more favorable our draw looks. If we go on a run, we wouldn't meet Vandy or Arky until the finals. It's also not inconceivable that 7 of the 8 teams in Omaha could be from the SEC. Figured the committee would try and come up with a few more pairings to eliminate that from happening in the Supers.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Collegiate Baseball has released their All-American squads. Kopps rightfully earned POTY. I didn't realize he led Arky in IP as well!

http://baseballnews.com/2021-collegiate-baseball-all-americans/

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We handled Samford fairly well, no major complaints. The biggest surprise was our SP going north of 100 pitches. Seems like it only happened once or twice this year.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Friday Roundup

Fayetteville Regional: Hogs are 8-0 since the birth of my son now :toot: but they didn't make it easy. It took calling the Kopps in the 4th inning and 7 pitchers to put down NJIT, but finally just did enough. Nebraska got into a hole early, took the lead, then held off a late charge from Northeastern to set up a match against Arkansas tomorrow. Should be a good one.

Ruston Regional: LaTech and NC State took care of business like I thought they would, setting up a face off to give the winner a huge advantage in this regional. I picked LaTech and they looked more impressive, but also played a weaker team, so :shrug: This will be a good one to watch 6pm Central I think.

Stanford Regional: Stanford and UC Irvine both rolled, so tomorrow I guess we will see if my belief in the Anteaters pitching holds up. I feel pretty good about it.

Lubbock Regional: I am glad Texas Tech did not let me down. I'm also glad I stuck to my guns and did not pick UCLA, because they got upset by UNC today. Tech and UNC should be good tomorrow, but I think that Tech will have too much for the Tarheels.

Tuscon Regional: I'm an old man and going to go to bed soon (lol yeah right, baby wont let that happen I'm sure), but uhhh, remember when I said "Why not Grand Canyon?" Well they are tied 4-4 with Arizona right now, both teams with 9 hits. UC Santa Barbara really came through for me though and made me feel like a genius, blowing out OK State 14-4.

Oxford Regional: First real falter in the list going down in order. Florida State staff gave up more hits than Southern Miss, but scored more runs and sent my pick to the loser bracket. Florida State vs Ole Miss should be pretty good, seems like two evenly matched teams.

Greenville Regional: Not much to say here, East Carolina and Charlotte both won by 3 runs to set up the match tomorrow. I expect East Carolina to just keep on keepin on.

Nashville Regional: A lot of times, you'll see teams open Regionals with their #2 pitcher, preferring to try to game things and save their Ace for Saturday (for example, Arkansas today). Vanderbilt did not. Kumar Rocker threw 7 innings, giving up 2 hits and 2 walks against 9 Ks. A real "Krusty Krab Funfair" situation. Georgia Tech won a hard fought game against Indiana State and won 7-6, and their reward is going to be Jack Leiter. Vanderbilt is going to win this whole dang tournament arent't they?

Austin Regional: I thought Fairfield would struggle without their best player but they had a 6-5 lead going into the 9th against Arizona State. Couldn't hold it, though. Texas did not have any trouble with Southern, and shouldn't have any trouble with Arizona State.

Gainesville Regional: Another big whiff here. Florida got beat by South Florida, and honestly South Alabama had some chances against Miami even though they ended up losing 1-0. Miami now firmly in the drivers seat, you'd have to imagine.

South Bend Regional: Notre Dame and UConn both with easy wins. Let's see what happens when a better team meets a team on a real hot streak.

Starkville Regional: Clanga. (Also, VCU is destroying Campbell right now. They should consider saving some of those runs for tomorrow.)

Fort Worth Regional: TCU rolled, Dallas Baptist made me real nervous down the stretch but they pulled it off. I think Dallas Baptist has enough pitching to see off TCU tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Columbia Regional: Jacksonville gave a pretty good account of themselves, but couldn't get past Old Dominion. I was feeling pretty good about my Virginia pick for a while but they blew it as South Carolina came back to win. South Carolina trying to dethrone the pretender Old Dominion has a nice storyline to it, though, so lets hope it's fun.

Eugene Regional: Gonzaga is up late, will play Oregon if they hold on.

Knoxville Regional I feel good about my comment about not knowing how to pick a winner from this one. Wright State was up until that awesome walk off homerun that got posted, and Liberty ran through Duke, a team that a lot of people thought was going to make Tennessee's life miserable. Tennessee would be the favorite at this point but like... I still would not feel comfortable betting on any of these teams to win this regional.

Appreciate the recaps hombre

Also that Gilbert bat flip is one of the best I’ve ever seen

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Hoping the fellas can take care of business against Campbell this morning. They're one of the hottest hitting teams in the country, though, and that has a way of making funny things happen in the post-season. If we dropped this game and G7 got rained out, I think Campbell would actually win the regional on H2H record alone. So uh, hopefully that doesn't happen!

Speaking of hot hitting teams, I would not be surprised at all to see Southern Miss take that regional from OM. The mustard buzzards looked like they were hitting BP yesterday.

Predicting pain for Nebraska today. No team has taken two from Arky this year. Team of Destiny and all that.

The Mainieri Retirement Tour has also been a pleasant surprise. Gotta think anything past a regional is overachieving for that squad considering how the regular season looked.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Arky being the team they are this year only to get booted by Nebraska would be hilarious though

It would be extremely on-brand for the sport. Also, let us not forget

(I'm sorry chaoslord)

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

elentar posted:

South Alabama won the resumed game so the Floribama schools get to play one more for a Supers spot.

edit: decent chance Ole Miss-Southern Miss gets left to tomorrow.

We are also in a rain delay in Starkville

e: and we're back and Hootie continues to roll through the 4th

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 7, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Sims coming on to do a 3 inning close out in the 7th with 2-3-4 due up for Campbell and Miss State lead at 1 run. Hold on to your butts, everyone

We'll see him attempt his best Kopps impression

Campbell has pieced together some surprisingly effective pitching so far this game

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 7, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Did not expect to win this one only scoring 6 runs tbh. Bring on the Domers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

OM-USM is turning into a barn burner. OM led 9-0 after 2 innings and Southern has battled back to 12-7 at the top of the 6th

USM has the bases juiced with two outs and OM is bringing their ace Nikhazy back in to put out the fire. They said he threw 109 pitches on Saturday. drat.

And he gets the K in 3 pitches. He also K'd 16 on Saturday lordy

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 7, 2021