Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not so sure lycanthropic IRS agents are the best answer to making billionaires pay their taxes.

Robots, on the other hand, sounds promising.

T-1000s doing the audits might improve the situation.

Okay I'm following you so far but isn't Skynet a staunch libertarian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Okay I'm following you so far but isn't Skynet a staunch libertarian?

I think this could be worked around by giving Skynet official amnesty on its own taxes. Then the FYGM aspects of libertarianism will kick in.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

gently caress it I'll even be willing to throw in a percentage of everything her robots collect and maybe even a nuke or two.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My federal return was just enough to pay for a semester of car insurance wooo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Like you're going to live long enough to cash the insurance money:newlol:
The way you live you should have just get some drugs and speedball your way off this mortal coil.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Chinatown posted:

you give your hard earned quid to a bunch of inbred shitheads who should be fed into a industrial shredder

How's republicanism working out for you?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

My federal return was just enough to pay for a semester of car insurance wooo

Look, I hate to be a downer, but no matter how many semesters you pay for your car is never going to graduate.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I appreciate turbo tax requires me to pay $90 to file because I dared to have an employee that only offers an HSA.
Or maybe it was because I made a student loan payment back in January last year. It was one of the two.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if i were you i'd probably appreciate the fact that the IRS is more than capable of doing your taxes for you but companies like turbotax lobby against it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hbag posted:

if i were you i'd probably appreciate the fact that the IRS is more than capable of doing your taxes for you but companies like turbotax lobby against it

I read a news story about that and I'm forever angry about it.

edit: For those who want the short version. The government already has all your tax poo poo. Income, withholdings, etc. There have been proposals to change the filing system so you essentially get a letter from the IRS saying, "Here's your tax info for the year and you owe xxx or you get a refund of xxx. Does this look good to you based on your records?" Then you can amend anything and file or whatever if there's other poo poo that needs to be done. However, as mentioned, Intuit and others lobby against it because they'd lose millions of dollars.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 22, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

I read a news story about that and I'm forever angry about it.

My favorite was TurboTax deliberately hiding the free version of their filing service.

https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-deliberately-hides-its-free-file-page-from-search-engines

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
taxation is theft

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I got $8 back this year. Decent considering I was on unemployment for about 60% of the year and didn’t have taxes taken out of my checks.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

buglord posted:

I got $8 back this year. Decent considering I was on unemployment for about 60% of the year and didn’t have taxes taken out of my checks.

can i borrow 8 dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

had to pay $35 to file mine this year because the free software didn't support the tax credit for paying foreign taxes, by which i mean having some shares of a fund that has some non-US stocks

at least the credit reduced my bill by more than $35, so i guess it was better than nothing