Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone from the Slayers dub cast in Lost Universe?

Not sure, but I think so? It's been forever so I'm not sure.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for the animation, apparently the first few episodes were a little rough (especially episode 4) but they apparently got fixed for a later release so we’ll see soon which version I found. Otherwise it’s not really any worse than what you’d find in the early Slayers shows.

The premise seems a bit like Slayers meets Cowboy Bebop but the cast isn’t quite as likable (they’ll probably grow on me though). But overall, not too bad so far.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i needa rewatch k-on! and k-on!! and also see the movie

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Finished the first episode of CESTVS (Cestus)

That animation... it uh, it ain't great folks. They cheaped out on the animation; there are a lot of static shots; all of the money went into the fighting, and that still isn't a lot.
And for some bizarre reason, the beginning fight in medias res uses CG (which is pretty bad too, but I haven't seen Ex-Arm to compare it to), and then they don't use it again for the rest of the episode. What was the point of spending money on it then? The art direction is inconsistent.

Megalobox this ain't, but it's different enough that some may find it interesting. Timewise, it's a very short time after Nero becomes emperor.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's interesting how it turned out, since cestvs is going to grow up they just opted for 2d on the kid stuff

so you have random cg start before a flashback and then the cg op too

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I knew a modern anime of it wouldn't be able to capture the great art of the manga but it's worse than I expected really. Shame, hopefully some people will read the manga because of it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wonder if they're just going to skip a ton of stuff lol. It's been awhile since I read the beginning of the manga but it feels like they're zipping through it already. There's a whole lot that happens between the scene the show starts with and the actual beginning of the story.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay chat thread. Bubblegum Crisis. How do?

Should I watch the OVAs first, go straight to the reboot, or what? I may end up just doing the latter out of convenience.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How are the Non Non Biyori OVAs and movie? Halfway through S2 and I'm loving the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

OAV's are like more TV so good watch. Movie is pretty great in that it feels special and different but still Non Non Biyori and also Natsumi gets a girlfriend

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Azran posted:

How are the Non Non Biyori OVAs and movie? Halfway through S2 and I'm loving the show.

More of the same - which is to say that they're all very very good. No reason at all not to check them out if you're enjoying the show.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Should I watch the OVAs first, go straight to the reboot, or what? I may end up just doing the latter out of convenience.

I had the dvd set of Tokyo 2040: It's alright.
A.D. Police: To Protect and Serve: I didn't care for this at all.

I've never seen the original show.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Kaiji a lot from what I'd seen of it so I checked out Kakegurui after having heard it was also a really good gambling anime (and the mahjong soul collab) and I have to say, I'm not nearly as impressed.

I'm not sure exactly what it's missing, but that might just be because Kaiji is really good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

why would you jump to bubblegum crash, 90% of what people remember is crisis and crash has none of the same staff

crisis is unfinished as a story but it's better than watching a thoroughly unmemorable reboot with none of the same creative vision. the side ovas are okay if you want any later stuff but crash isn't really worth it

e; let the fact that i said nothing about bubblegum crisis 2040 say everything about it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 15, 2021

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

2040 is at best OK, the 2032 OVAs rule.

I've never seen Crash or the AD Police series.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

I needed a Slayers fix so I decided to check out the author’s earlier series Lost Universe, doesn’t seem too terrible to me judging by the first episode and the animation isn’t quite as bad as I’ve been lead to believe (unless it gets worse later that is).

Ironically enough, Megumi Hayashibara also happens to play one of the main female leads in this series and sings the OP and ED.
infinity is a jam, but the first lost universe novel came out a few years after the first slayers novel

the extrication remixes rule, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZk1IQCDTw
megumi 4eva

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Acerbatus posted:

I liked Kaiji a lot from what I'd seen of it so I checked out Kakegurui after having heard it was also a really good gambling anime (and the mahjong soul collab) and I have to say, I'm not nearly as impressed.

I'm not sure exactly what it's missing, but that might just be because Kaiji is really good.

Kakegurui is NOT a good gambling anime. You come for the pretty animation and stay for the psycho characters and the horny. Gambling is just the coating.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

infinity is a jam, but the first lost universe novel came out a few years after the first slayers novel

the extrication remixes rule, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZk1IQCDTw
megumi 4eva

Ah, for some reason I thought Lost Universe came first. Nevermind that part then

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you like the part of Kaiji where there's an intense back-and-forth mindgame with a cool solution you mostly don't get that in Kakegurui (maybe the Bridge arc?). But if you like the part where some rich idiot gets owned by their arrogance and hoisted by their own petard it still definitely has that. And if you enjoy the insane horny girls then all the better

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watch in order of release. The first ova is streaming on retrocrush

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KONYA WA HURRICAAAANE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an_0IIRDlc4

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ty for all the tips, will watch the OVAs.

Also
This is why it popped back up on my radar. Been meaning to watch it for a long time, but never had the chance. We’ll see when I get to it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is pretty nice.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grouchio posted:

KONYA WA HURRICAAAANE

here in
duck berg

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:lol:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlternateNu posted:

Kakegurui is NOT a good gambling anime. You come for the pretty animation and stay for the psycho characters and the horny. Gambling is just the coating.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you like the part of Kaiji where there's an intense back-and-forth mindgame with a cool solution you mostly don't get that in Kakegurui (maybe the Bridge arc?). But if you like the part where some rich idiot gets owned by their arrogance and hoisted by their own petard it still definitely has that. And if you enjoy the insane horny girls then all the better

Yeah, the gambling isn't that interesting and the characters feel a little, I dunno, played out? I can get why people'd like it but there's not much there for me, which is a bit of a let down.

What is a good gambling anime that isn't Kaiji?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

i found kakegurui more fun than kaiji for that reason, but i'm not proud of it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, the gambling isn't that interesting and the characters feel a little, I dunno, played out? I can get why people'd like it but there's not much there for me, which is a bit of a let down.

What is a good gambling anime that isn't Kaiji?

One Outs

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also by Fukumoto there's Akagi but you really need to learn mahjong to understand anything that's happening. And read the manga to actually see most of the last arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would just say to read the other Kaiji arcs because Minefield Mahjong through One Poker are all amazing and complete. the current arc is kind of a weird non-gambling detour so it doesn't hit the exact same appeal even though it's good (even funny!)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Akagi is good and fun. At the end of the day I think it has less to say than Kaiji but it's still a fun read. The anime is well-regarded too but it doesn't finish the big arc so you'd probably have to transition to the manga.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Akagi is great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has Kaiji ever met Akagi?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

chumbler posted:

Has Kaiji ever met Akagi?

I don't think so, although there was a different manga by the author about some other character and they end up having a mahjong match against Akagi.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Akagi is a prequel to Ten - The Nice Guy On The Path Of Tenhou. Akagi was first introduced in that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope Retrocrush makes it to the colonies some day, seems like a nice service to have.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ten is much better than Akagi :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the worst thing about retrocrush is that they are absolutely godawful at advertising the shows they have

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nobody else said this, so i guess i have to be the one to say it: all you need to watch is the original eight episode ova, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A quick translation of the new Revue Starlight Movie trailer that dropped - https://twitter.com/mendoutaya/status/1382680038168879106

Hype building