Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

i've just always viewed the strength of haruhi as the fact that it was willing to get pretty weird and inventive with its own storytelling and structure so i don't really get the idea that its one most well known instance of that is automatically an actual failure of production and not just. a weird experiment that you may or may not find interesting

It’s because people ascribe malicious intent (trolling) to it rather than experimentation, including some people who liked it

I don’t really care about that. I think it kind of sucks but whatever, I’m not really upset about it at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. Someone who was excited about a second season and was disappointed that most of the cour went to the same episode eight times doesn't necessarily care about why that happened. It's irrelevant to the actual experience.

they shouldn't care because that time is instead in a cool movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also yeah if they just moved that story stuff into disappearance than i care even less cause disappearance is the part of haruhi that easily sticks with me the most as just a story and i don't think stuffing that into an anime would work as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. Someone who was excited about a second season and was disappointed that most of the cour went to the same episode eight times doesn't necessarily care about why that happened. It's irrelevant to the actual experience.

Especially since there are plenty of other novels they could have used the time to adapt instead.

That said, I would personally love an anime revival of Haruhi one day (the movie felt more like the beginning of a new story than the end of the series) but with not much in the way of recent books to promote I’m not sure if they’d go for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the author released a new book for the first time in years like last year if they keep at it there'll probably be enough

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus I believe there’s still a few earlier novels they didn’t get around to in the first two seasons.

Also, the main Haruhi anime cast is still active/easily available these days right?

For that matter, give us another Slayers series already damnit (the main cast recently reprised their roles for an unrelated mobile game after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 8, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Haruhi Suzumiya is a terrible person. Change my Mind

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I watched the entirety of the Endless Eight and some time ago I would've told you to watch the first, the second and the eight episodes and move on. But after mulling over it I think there are enough minor changes here and there that make it kind of bearable, like Kyon referencing a different mecha show each time he took off his costume at the mall.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the 4th one is the best

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I lost interest in anime some time before season 2 of Haruhi came out and by the time I was interested in watching it I had a vague idea of what I was getting in to, plus it wasn't a week wait between episodes. I liked it, but that might have been because it was really fun watching it with my girlfriend and seeing her increasing disbelief and incredulity with each additional episode.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

i've just always viewed the strength of haruhi as the fact that it was willing to get pretty weird and inventive with its own storytelling and structure so i don't really get the idea that its one most well known instance of that is automatically an actual failure of production and not just. a weird experiment that you may or may not find interesting

I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't have even tried it, just that they didn't like it.

Personally I wasn't that big a haruhi fan when it was airing, but I didn't like it at the time because I didn't care much for any of the artistic intent when I was 12. I might like it more now, but I also don't feel a need to go check. Kind of interesting but I'm never going to watch that movie so from my point of view they shouldn't have bothered. :shrug:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 8, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the movie is one of the best anime movies ever made tho

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
From what I've heard, the movie is the best part of the franchise, so it might still be worth checking out, especially if you had seen the rest of the tv series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

Terrible people can still make for entertaining protagonists/antagonists/parts of a story, tho'! Besides, as terrible teenagers go, Haruhi is fairly tame.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cannon Busters kinda sucked but it had a banger of an OP I had kinda forgotten about until I realized they released the full version in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vheqm2tJcd8

marumaru
May 20, 2013

househusband animated by a single (one, 01) person lol

https://twitter.com/ardia2001/status/1380251034556190720?s=21

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the interview with the staff of the househusband anime where the director is just like "yeah hahaha the producer told us this was how we have to make it. it was very funny, you know"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i like the interview with the staff of the househusband anime where the director is just like "yeah hahaha the producer told us this was how we have to make it. it was very funny, you know"

didnt they say "we wanted each scene to be one frame to capture the 'reading a manga' feel"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

didnt they say "we wanted each scene to be one frame to capture the 'reading a manga' feel"

the producer and director are the same as backstreet girls, the producer is the one who has more say and the director's quote implied that the "reading a manga" thing is entirely the producer's idea and the staff are just going along with what they say because they don't really have an alternative

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if it has to be like that then having one key animator is better than having a bunch

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

You're not wrong. Particularly with regard to Mikuru.

I know the LN series isn't complete, and I wonder if that turns into an arc somewhere along the line, because holy poo poo Haruhi should apologize at the very least.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

if it has to be like that then having one key animator is better than having a bunch

Yeah I don't have a specific one lined up off the top of my head but there's some very famous/impressive episodes that have had solo key animators before. It's by no means unworkable - although obviously you really need to have a lot of visual inspiration and talent to pull it off. There's even some advantages in that fewer or solo animators means it's much easier to maintain stylistic consistency between different scenes and drawings.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Funimation posted:

Big West has officially recognized the licensing of Macross (Super Dimension Fortress Macross) by Harmony Gold in the 1980s, ending decades of concern over the series’ rights outside of Japan.

Today, Big West and Harmony Gold announced that previous conflict over the Macross and Robotech series has been resolved, with Big West acknowledging the proper licensing of the series by Harmony Gold, and Harmony Gold recognizing the Macross spin-offs that Big West has produced since the series’ initial release.

Existing licenses of the series were confirmed to be unaffected by this news. The press release includes information about the two parties working to distribute Macross outside of Japan:

“The landmark agreement immediately permits worldwide distribution of most of the Macross films and television sequels worldwide, and also confirms that Big West will not oppose the Japanese release of an anticipated upcoming live-action Robotech film. The agreement also recognizes Harmony Gold’s longstanding exclusive license with Tatsunoko for the use of the 41 Macross characters and mecha in the Robotech television series and related merchandise throughout the world excluding Japan.

Moving forward, both parties will cooperate on distribution regarding future Macross and Robotech projects for the benefit of both franchises.”

The series first released as Super Dimension Fortress Macross in 1982 in Japan, and was licensed by Harmony Gold USA (along with Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA) and released as Robotech in the United States in 1985.

In 2019, Funimation announced that it had acquired home video, streaming and merchandise rights to the Robotech series in partnership with Harmony Gold, with more info to come.

Well, that's either bad or worse.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I enjoyed going through the whole absurdity of watched endless eight in its entirety. It also gave me an excuse to drink a bit too much beer by myself and clutch my head like Psyduck every few minutes, which was fun.

Haruhi is a poo poo though, can't argue with that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Terrible people can still make for entertaining protagonists/antagonists/parts of a story, tho'! Besides, as terrible teenagers go, Haruhi is fairly tame.

I get it, but usually these terrible people get punished/told they are in the wrong. (e.g Cartman) Haruhi got that maybe once?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

comparing cartman to haruhi...lol

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Well, that's either bad or worse.

What? This is what everyone wanted actually. It means that Macross stuff is finally able to be licensed and released in North America and you’ll be able to watch all the stuff. Yes it’s not great that it gives Harmony Gold money but it will actually give the series a chance here now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lol if you think Harmony Gold is going to suddenly decide to let people use the Macross license outside of Robotech

Like it CAN, but WILL it?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The thing with me and Endless Eight is that I saw it the first time as it aired over the literal 2 month period which was my summer. I'm very aware and had a purer experience than any rewatch marathon by anyone ever since. I get it more than most.

But I'm just gonna watch the last one like the original story was and what we all expected the first time. Probably. See how my stamina is when I get there. I do like hearing Super Driver tho.

Paradoxically, if someone stitched them all into a 2 hour 40 min Endless Eight movie, I'd be way more into that. I think it'd be a neater Groundhog Day than as 8 episodes.

My last rewatch was probably 6-8 years ago and it may(??) have been chronological, so broadcast order is probably what I'm leaning towards, with an occasional internal flip flop. It's more that I can really see the [early-00s-uguu to post-K-On] artstyle shift and rather than switch back and forth I'd rather pretend it's 2006 for a while then 2009.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm at least as baffled by the notion that there's actually a market for a I've action Robotech movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm at least as baffled by the notion that there's actually a market for a I've action Robotech movie.

There's not, is the thing. Harmony Gold entirely operates under the delusion that anyone born in the last 30 years cares about Robotech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol if you think Harmony Gold is going to suddenly decide to let people use the Macross license outside of Robotech
that statement seems to be saying that they are going to be doing that, yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Upon further reading, it does seem that way. Hell froze over, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the more likely explanation is that big west either handed harmony gold money or agreed to hand harmony gold a portion of the money gained from western macross releases

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

I get it, but usually these terrible people get punished/told they are in the wrong. (e.g Cartman) Haruhi got that maybe once?
This literally gets addressed in some of my fave moments of S2. Both Hirano and Sugita's performances were goddamn powerful and I'm kinda sad that Hirano just doesn't get cast on as much stuff anymore because she's legit a great actress.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that's basically when boredom of haruhi is about

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also I'm cautiously optimistic about the Macross stuff. :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aurora posted:

comparing cartman to haruhi...lol
The difference is that decking Cartman doesn't implode the universe and thus has happened multiple times.

If only...

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

This literally gets addressed in some of my fave moments of S2. Both Hirano and Sugita's performances were goddamn powerful and I'm kinda sad that Hirano just doesn't get cast on as much stuff anymore because she's legit a great actress.

Wait, what happened to Hirano?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

she's mostly done theater for the past 10 years