Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode of the World Ends With You anime is out now, anybody check it out yet? If so, how was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

there are plenty of 90s shows that are more visually inventive and well-animated than several modern shows
This is known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp4pYTDxfxE

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

It all comes down to talent and budget.

And those don't always equal each other.

Every era has stand out animation.

During the mid-late 2000s and right up to like 5 years ago, there was this generation of anime nerds going ANIME WAS MORE MANLY BACK IN THE DAY MOE SUCKS AND MAKES YOU A PEDO

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I thought it was okay. Animation style was pretty good. They use some music from the game which was neat. It’s not bad, but it does feel a little rushed, as there was very little time where it seemed like they would take their time explaining things and just moved from one scene to another.

Seems like it would be good, but I don’t think it’s going to be super amazing.

Also, big props to someone on Twitter who pointed out to me that Funimations subtitles in their PS5 app are controlled at the system level closed captioning settings. It’s now fixed so I don’t have huge black bars around my subs anymore and they’re yellow like God intended.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Black Stones posted:

I thought it was okay. Animation style was pretty good. They use some music from the game which was neat. It’s not bad, but it does feel a little rushed, as there was very little time where it seemed like they would take their time explaining things and just moved from one scene to another.

Yeah, it's very much "This is just like the video game!" the way the first ep is handling character intros and exposition. Just throwing the viewer in. Definitely feels... abrupt.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Supposedly they wanted to rush the first few days since they’re a bit slower, hopefully they slow down and aren’t trying to cram in sequel hooks for TWEWY 2

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Violet_Sky posted:

During the mid-late 2000s and right up to like 5 years ago, there was this generation of anime nerds going ANIME WAS MORE MANLY BACK IN THE DAY MOE SUCKS AND MAKES YOU A PEDO

People say that still. Though it will probably depend on the exact content.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Every decade has visually appealing and unique shows and shows that look like rear end or are cheaply done. It's not something unique to say the 90's or 00's (Well the 00's do have some issues with the digital transition)

Also a decent chunk of Moe/Slice of life shows have great animation/visuals and you can pick out quite a few 80's/90's action/mecha shows that are just bland and boring

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kater posted:

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle is amazing and I'm sad I've watched it all now.

Like good enough that I looked it up and Mitsue Yamazaki has director credits for this, Tada-kun Never Falls in Love, Monthly Girls Nazaki-kun, and How Heavy Are Those Dumbells You Lift, so I'm pretty sure that means she is dang good. Even if I have no clue how influential the person named at the top of the list is.

Also listed for Magic-kyun! Renaissance which I've not seen but it looks fun.

One of us! One of us!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

:zombie: One of us! One of us!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched TWEWY and yeah, that was a bit abrupt. The animation looked pretty much just like the game though and they used a lot of music from it. Hopefully things will slow down a bit as things progress.

The Shaman King reboot seems to have some pacing issues as well since the first episode crammed Yoh’s first fight and Amidamaru accepting him as his partner together and the second jumped straight to the introduction of Ren and Anna.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gonna be sad when Rhyme dies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finally watched evangelion 3.0

it was decent but i'm sad we'll never get an evangelion: another cases sequel where you get to play as all the random new side characters who get like five seconds of screen time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

what are they watching...!?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/TheRailz/status/1380270339570155520

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Stairmaster posted:

personally i think haruhi suziyama should kick my rear end instead

Dick Spacious parachute account spotted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sanrio is doing their annual character rankings and once again it is rigged by their refusal to include Big Challenges, an alligator they used in one illustration in 1978 and literally nothing else who I adore.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

Sanrio is doing their annual character rankings and once again it is rigged by their refusal to include Big Challenges, an alligator they used in one illustration in 1978 and literally nothing else who I adore.

This continued Big Challenges erasure will not stand! We should organize a letter writing campaign or something.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
crawling across a barren wasteland

where... where is the manga

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the lain 4koma manga by yoshitoshi abe which features an actual cereal experiements lain pun?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
any manga may slake my thirst

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

thanks, now I’m gonna be depressed that Big Challanges doesn’t make an appearance on Aggrestuko S4.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
If you need manga, there is one hero bringing us new Bocchi.

Nate RFB posted:

Bumping for a huge batch of Hitoribocchi chapters to get by in these times.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its scary actually

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
boo!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

das it mane

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Megalobox season 2 shaping up to be a contender this year, pun intended.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleDonut posted:

any manga may slake my thirst
Wakako-zake?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Mister Facetious posted:

Megalobox season 2 shaping up to be a contender this year, pun intended.

I love the ED and want the full version of it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sitting in the pharmacy waiting area after my jab to see if it accidentally gives me the super covid before I can go home.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

twewy 01 was alright. feels like a condensed version of the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Sitting in the pharmacy waiting area after my jab to see if it accidentally gives me the super covid before I can go home.
hope they get your nanomachines tuned to the right frequency

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nagatoro was cool - it was better animated than i expected, and the VA was pretty good.
shame that it's (obviously) going to start at the beginning, i really much prefer the later chapters where it's less of a toned down fetish doujin and more of a romcom, but it looks like it'll be worth watching.

also the ED loving slaps

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

marumaru posted:

nagatoro was cool - it was better animated than i expected, and the VA was pretty good.
shame that it's (obviously) going to start at the beginning, i really much prefer the later chapters where it's less of a toned down fetish doujin and more of a romcom, but it looks like it'll be worth watching.

also the ED loving slaps

:hmmyes:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

marumaru posted:

also the ED loving slaps

Hopefully they just grab a couple chapters from the beginning to establish everything and then start selectively skipping stuff so that they get to the more interesting story beats.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Should have just adapted the original images instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Should have just adapted the original images instead.

wait for the BD