Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

it's going to be a new byston well series

This.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Last one out, respect

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

In order from oldest to youngest:

Tales of Phantasia - GBA version
Valkyrie Profile - PSP
Xenosaga 3 (just sold today)
Valkyrie Profile 2
Odin Sphere

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just finished zambot-3. kinda wild for a 70s robot anime, the ending is actually probably one of the most depressing in anything tomino's directed. zz gundam had less sudden brutal death

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second episode of The World Ends With You was a little better in my opinion and I really like the OP:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UOPopYINxr4

The ED isn’t bad either:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zVJ8Oib7BP4

I forget, are both of these songs from the game?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Larryb posted:

The second episode of The World Ends With You was a little better in my opinion and I really like the OP:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UOPopYINxr4

The ED isn’t bad either:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zVJ8Oib7BP4

I forget, are both of these songs from the game?

I'm not sure about the second one, but the first one seems to be a medley and remaster of a few tracks. The lyrics are original afaict.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OP is a remix of Twister, ED sounds familiar but I can't place it. It could be new and just emulating the style well.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
my uncle bought me beyond good and evil and psychonauts and I never played them, my brother did though so they did not go unloved

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

TenementFunster posted:

nobody else said this, so i guess i have to be the one to say it: all you need to watch is the original eight episode ova, friend.
Cool and good, ty all again.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

OP is a remix of Twister, ED sounds familiar but I can't place it. It could be new and just emulating the style well.

The ED is new, it just emulates the style well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there was going to be an alternate opening for the TWEWY anime originally:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TALur8Chhvw

However, it had to be changed at the last minute because of a bank fraud incident involving a member of the band that did the song:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-09/ali-band-drummer-arrest-was-for-alleged-bank-refund-scam/.171593

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Space Flower posted:

my uncle bought me beyond good and evil and psychonauts and I never played them, my brother did though so they did not go unloved
Was your brother James Willems?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Space Flower posted:

psychonauts is very good

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Grouchio posted:

Was your brother James Willems?

who is that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

who is that
Some YouTuber/Podcaster or something.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Some YouTuber/Podcaster or something.

i guess grouchio mentioned him because he liked psychonauts?

like that's not unique or anything.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely remember chuckling/laughing out loud a lot with the game back in the mid 00's, especially with some parts like the ":stonk: It's Googalor!" or the part where Secret-Agent-esque people think wearing an apron and talking about doing chores/baking pies will make them blend-in in a weird, screwy-sorta-redacted version of 1950's America. And like 10 other things.

Fun little game. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

both of those games are......... ok

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I played through Psychonauts once. It was all right and pretty funny, though I don't have a strong desire to go back to it.

My favorite part was just seeing the kids interact with each other at the campsite, and the Milkman

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beyond good & evil has some cool bits but it's increasingly funny to me how much both the back half being completely linear and bg&e2 being a complete directionless mess are because michel ancel was just extremely bad at thinking things through and hates listening to his own team

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video on their development the other day and, ummm, making broad sweeping changes on the basis of “the Wind Waker sailing is boring, our game has sailing, we should just take out lots of the sailing instead of reducing the amount of dead space in between areas” is sure something.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I know Non Non Biyori is just fuzzy feelings all around but the relationship between Renge and Kaede (the candy shop owner) has me grinning like a goddamn idiot whenever they dedicate an episode to it.

Unrelated to that, I wanted to ask about Anohana. Just how, uh, melodramatic does it get? The saddest thing I've seen, as a comparison, is A Place Further than the Universe and I never felt like that one was excessively dramatic, it just had some very hard hitting moments for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like anohana but its very melodramatic. there's some good lived grief stuff, like quiet moments between characters and stuff, but you know how antarctica has that bombshell in the second to last ep and it just cuts to credits with the characters silently crying as the ed theme plays and stuff? imagine if that was an entire episode and everyone was yelling how they feel, lol

its not a bad execution of that level of drama, but thats how most of its big emotional climaxes are written

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Larryb posted:

Apparently there was going to be an alternate opening for the TWEWY anime originally:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TALur8Chhvw

However, it had to be changed at the last minute because of a bank fraud incident involving a member of the band that did the song:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-09/ali-band-drummer-arrest-was-for-alleged-bank-refund-scam/.171593

Someone on Reddit restored the original OP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TWEWY/comments/ms5z2w/twewy_the_animation_teenage_city_riot_op_fan_made/

The same band performed the first Beastars OP and the first Jujutsu Kaisen ED, by the way

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wouldn't be the worst casting choice. Might be a little old. Isn't Reigen only like 30?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Wouldn't be the worst casting choice. Might be a little old. Isn't Reigen only like 30?

28 after his birthday in season 2 iirc

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Not sure where else to ask but is there a place to buy the proper 4k transfer of Akira? I heard Funimation managed to gently caress their Bluray up and not have HDR and you had to email them to get it sent to you after buying the version without it. Is there a proper, fixed version available anywhere?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Anybody interested in history of cute anime girls, from lolicon to moe? I have absolutely no knowledge about the subject so I can't say how thorough this article is but it seems to be pretty informative and objective, although now I'd like to know more about non-straight-male-otaku perspective

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've never read a post that made me less want to check out an article.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

macabresca posted:

although now I'd like to know more about non-straight-male-otaku perspective
the secret people dont want you to know is that 90% of the stuff you think is for and by straight male otaku, isnt actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for instance the senran kagura fanbase is 40% female, or at least it was in the series heyday (its probably declined significantly now that the games have stopped really having a continuing story arc/character development)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tbh there's also differences between demographics on the west and east, you have series in japan that are popular with fujoshi but in the west are a sausagefest lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Tbh there's also differences between demographics on the west and east, you have series in japan that are popular with fujoshi but in the west are a sausagefest lol
i like the interview with the yakuza director where he said live events and stuff for the series in japan are all screaming teenaged fangirls, and then he went to one in france and it was nothing but a bunch of insanely jacked dudes in their 40s.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

i like the interview with the yakuza director where he said live events and stuff for the series in japan are all screaming teenaged fangirls, and then he went to one in france and it was nothing but a bunch of insanely jacked dudes in their 40s.

Or the tales producer who said that the guy/girl demographic for their games is 70/30 but in events is 10/90

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

macabresca posted:

Anybody interested in history of cute anime girls, from lolicon to moe? I have absolutely no knowledge about the subject so I can't say how thorough this article is but it seems to be pretty informative and objective, although now I'd like to know more about non-straight-male-otaku perspective
Pass

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

The Haruka and Kiryu demographics...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the worst selling games in tales history was the psp musou clone and part of the reason why it sold like crap was cause the series' hardcore fanbase didn't have any interest in it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

one of the worst selling games in tales history was the psp musou clone and part of the reason why it sold like crap was cause the series' hardcore fanbase didn't have any interest in it lol

tbf given the fanbase of the dynasty warriors series i get why youd think a musou game would appeal to women