Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Think of the movie as one of those Popular Show OVAs that condenses 4 seasons into 2 hours.

The manga develops lots more, is more explicit about the reason kids develop those psychic powers, and goes way further than the film. But the film is an absolute classic and despite being dense is a fun time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait, the manga ends way after where the anime ends (when Tetsuo goes poof)?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There is a reason that even people who don't watch anime have watched Akira. It is very good.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh, I'm going to do both, I was just wondering if the movie is more enjoyable after reading the manga. But if it's so condensed then I'll probably watch it first

macabresca fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 2, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grouchio posted:

Wait, the manga ends way after where the anime ends (when Tetsuo goes poof)?
Obvious spoilers here but there's a lot of stuff that happens between Tetsuo recovering Akira and the stadium fight/body-horror poo poo

The beats from the anime are all drawn from the manga, but it being 6 chapters allows for a lot of breathing room like Tetsuo and Akira creating a fiefdom in a ruined Neo-Tokyo counter to the religious zealots

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I would say watch it first, then read the manga, followed by watching the movie again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The manga is waaaaay better because it actually gives all the named characters time to breath and grow.

I read the manga first and then watched the movie and was (probably unfairly) disappointed with how compact and rushed it was.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

The manga is waaaaay better because it actually gives all the named characters time to breath and grow.

I read the manga first and then watched the movie and was (probably unfairly) disappointed with how compact and rushed it was.

I think the strength of the film isn't its story or characters, but the insanely detailed and realized setting, atmosphere, and of course, the animation, which still holds up to this day, and what emotions the viewers feel as a result of it all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not like you can expect a single movie to cram the entire contents of a longer manga into its run time, two hours is already pretty long and it's amazing akira is as consistently beautiful across all of that as it is

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh so turns out higurashi is a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPT6q_4OHY

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently they're recasting all the VAs for the Muv Luv anime. I get the logic commercially but it seems sad, feel like the game actors deserve a shot at the anime after voicing the characters for 10+ years.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

everything about that project looks extremely ill-advised

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finally got around to watching Redline. Somehow that movie managed to top itself with every passing minute and that ending was pitch perfect. Holy poo poo that was good, probably one of the best racing movies ever made animated or otherwise.

The dub was fantastic, too. The race commentators were hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gori Rider you motherfu

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsOsugFukBY

And that soundtrack kicks rear end too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lLDqeBK1o

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 3, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Gori Rider you motherfu

The fact that Miki peels a banana just to call out Gori Rider slays me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
mods plz change my name to "Rockabilly Poser" thx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Apparently they're recasting all the VAs for the Muv Luv anime. I get the logic commercially but it seems sad, feel like the game actors deserve a shot at the anime after voicing the characters for 10+ years.

nearly 20+ years honestly, the first muvluv was released in 2003.

the extra weird thing is that some of the VAs actually were big. Like Takeru's established VA is Soichiro Hoshi, who was Kira in Gundam Seed, and also Keiichi in Higurashi and Akechi in Persona 5. Dude's a big name, having him in the lead role would sell. Meanwhile the guy voicing Takeru in the actual anime is extremely new.

It feels to me less like a marketing thing and more like some producer wanted to cast their agency's VAs.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 3, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this might be a controversial statement but i'm gonna go ahead and say it: redline was good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm a bit of a rebel

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

nearly 20+ years honestly, the first muvluv was released in 2003.

the extra weird thing is that some of the VAs actually were big. Like Takeru's established VA is Soichiro Hoshi, who was Kira in Gundam Seed, and also Keiichi in Higurashi and Akechi in Persona 5. Dude's a big name, having him in the lead role would sell. Meanwhile the guy voicing Takeru in the actual anime is extremely new.

It feels to me less like a marketing thing and more like some producer wanted to cast their agency's VAs.

Maybe it's a cost thing? No idea what kind of salaries big name VAs get in japan, though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
whoa

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1388818063491993602
indications seem to be that it's closer to a short story than a full novel, but wow. I think most fans would probably think a sequel is unnecessary, but I always thought that the characters were textured enough that I would've been curious to see how all of them would deal with middle age, especially with me hypothesizing how tatsuhiko takimoto would develop as a person. don't know if that will end up being the central subject of this short-form sequel, but fingers crossed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, hope this one winds up getting an anime adaption as well then.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/AlphaMike321/status/1387877723977175040

i love these gay zombies

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1389152254846930945

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah if you thought we'd reached the peak of anime studios being spread thin making cheap LN adaptations, it's only just beginning

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For the love of Osamu don't make all of your shows look like poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i finished journey of elaina and i think i only hated it more as it went on lol. im a sucker for the concept but i watched kino's journey before it which was basically the same thing but better in every way. it's not a bad show exactly but I don't think I'd ever rewatch it. 5/10. kino was an 8 or 9 though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larry Parrish posted:

i finished journey of elaina and i think i only hated it more as it went on lol.
Same.

The last episode twist is supposed to be clever but it really just feels lazy and offensive, somehow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kino's journey is a very specifically directed adaptation of selected material from early on in the novels' run from a well-loved director at the time, elaina is a middling anime adaptation of source material people seem to like in every other form

unless you're talking about kino 2017, that one's more comparable cause it's basically just throwing random stories into animation without any real overall aim though it still doesn't make the kinds of weirder story changes fans of the novels/manga complain about elaina's anime making

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 4, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched the 2017 kino yeah. I liked it a lot. They're both a lot of mostly unconnected stories but most of the ones in Elaina just come off as 'wow, this chick sucks'. I normally like that style of story telling, but it's just off in Elaina.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've heard the anime cuts out most of her bits of reflection, might be worth giving the manga or novels a look

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hate manga but the LNs are on the list for when I have money to blow. it's disturbingly hard to :filez: japanese stuff without getting an atrocious fan translation by accident. anime is easier than paying for it, though, in a strange reversal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Colonel posted:

i've heard the anime cuts out most of her bits of reflection, might be worth giving the manga or novels a look
There's this point in Bioshock Infinite where all the artifice of the city and your personal mission peels away, because for hours you've been caught up and exploring this uniquely crystallized beacon of pure loving racism. and you're suddenly told "hey we're gonna dip into this adjacent reality" so nothing you do ultimately matters because it's close but divergent enough to know it's not really a consequence of your actions at all, but a cosmic roll of the die.

and that's what the twist in Elaina is... because who cares what Elaina did to whom, it's just a hodgepodge of near-Elaina's and mixed up stories.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larry Parrish posted:

I watched the 2017 kino yeah. I liked it a lot. They're both a lot of mostly unconnected stories but most of the ones in Elaina just come off as 'wow, this chick sucks'. I normally like that style of story telling, but it's just off in Elaina.

I would highly recommend going back to check out the original 2003 Kino's Journey adaptation. It'll repeat a couple of the stories, but it's worth seeing how a difference in director can impact so much about a show.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, I think I had my reaction to the anime here in the chat thread. Which is essentially your point.
The anime makes her out to be a sociopath observing some messed up poo poo the she does not care about. Everything other medium makes her a human experiencing her travels around the world and reacting to them. It’s so pronounced that my friend who has no other frame of reference for the series was wondering if the anime director was doing it on purpose.
Every episode was just him shouting “what the gently caress?! And she’s not doing ANYTHING??” Louder and louder.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Horrifying twitter handle/tweet combo. :stonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Every episode was just him shouting “what the gently caress?! And she’s not doing ANYTHING??” Louder and louder.
Oh no, she did go apeshit when someone stole her hair.

It's funny because the first episode sets her up to be very sympathetic: child prodigy shunned for her aptitude, taken in by a weirdo, utterly broken down, forced to learn humility.

And the rest of the show is "who is this beautiful goddess who graces these bumpkins?!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 4, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Boku Yabai is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!