Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
So I watched that Akira I heard so much about. drat, what a movie. And now I can get excited at akira slides in other shows guilt-free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
From now on, I'm going to refer to "Extinction Level Event" as a "Mass Isekai Incident"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

wouldnt it be cool if i looked like misato haha

Yes, very cool. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Some of the early mecha stuff like Gundam is also very much about how young people are exploited by adults for war purposes. And Japan was using 15-year-olds by the end of WW2 so it's not like Amuro Ray is too out there.
Funny you should mention that because Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is literally inspired by that thing you mentioned, and, IIRC, they were even literally called the Iron-Blooded Brigade or something approximating that. Like Mari Okada had the subtlety of an acme-brand anvil when writing the series to invoke that and I think the series is all the better for saying "Yeah, that poo poo is whack"

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

macabresca posted:

So I watched that Akira I heard so much about. drat, what a movie. And now I can get excited at akira slides in other shows guilt-free!

Now read bartkira

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWt6OQ4Nl4

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Average age for grunts in the US army is like, 20 anyways, well before the brain is fully developed. Almost as if armies are morally dubious from even conception, gets the noggin joggin.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Why, even ten year olds served in the First Isekai World War.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
my brain regressed after 20 so i'm still prime fodder

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

Depends on what genre you’re in honestly

If you're in a delinquent manga and you look like this you might be a 12 year old

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm 17 third season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

I'm 17 third season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6B8_ezn1Q

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm 26 and I remember when Fred was the biggest thing on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

I'm 26 and I remember when Fred was the biggest thing on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

I'll be 28 in October. Fred was an annoying motherfucker.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only good thing about Fred is John Cena

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

The only good thing about Fred is John Cena
Who? :confused:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's just the obsession with youth taken to a further degree than some other countries. The older I get the sillier it feels. I'm 28 this June, if I was an anime they'd give me bags under my eyes and the physical build of a man in his late fifties.
I feel attacked.
I always laughed when anime would have a grizzled looking dude be the older figure, and he’s like 30.

Now I’m 30 and I look like that oh god whyyyyy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel attacked.
I always laughed when anime would have a grizzled looking dude be the older figure, and he’s like 30.

I've been pegged as looking like I'm 30 since I was 18.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

What, you can't see him?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah, the Old Man Teenager from Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StandardVC10 posted:

Ah, the Old Man Teenager from Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

I'm hoping it's a case of me having one of those faces that doesn't change with the decades. Otherwise I'm going to end up like John Hurt.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fricken :same:

Wait a couple years. At least people start guessing correctly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know why live-action shows on CR can only be accessed through the website and not the apps? It didn't used to be the case.

You can still get to them on the apps if you have it in your queue or history lists, but it seems they took them out of search.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel attacked.

To be fair like 90% of high school antagonists look either 12 or 45 in anime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pictured: a 17 year old high schooler:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I finally sat down to watch FMA: Brotherhood. Dear god, episode 4.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Azran posted:

:troll:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Azran posted:

Iirc it’s even more hosed in the original cause it doesn’t blitz through the early manga material AND they add more time with the family

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fma2003 seems sort of interesting but i just finished neo ranga so i've already watched my insane shou aikawa anime with a terrible ending for the year

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What's a good place to catch up on what chinese donghuas are airing/out? Just saw a clip from Fog hill of five elements and it owns. I probably would have totally missed it if a goon didn't bring it up first. I also really liked Heavens Official Blessing so maybe there's some more good stuff out there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MAL usually has them in their seasonal charts, just further down in the ONA section rather than TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Strange Quark posted:

You can still get to them on the apps if you have it in your queue or history lists, but it seems they took them out of search.

Yeah, I checked the website and CR has like, a tenth of what they used to have. At least they still have Wakakozake.

I'm rewatching the first episode of Kemono Friends and I guess I never noticed before that Serval-Chan or whatever has human AND animal ears.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 7, 2021

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I checked the website and CR has like, a tenth of what they used to have. At least they still have Wakakozake.

I'm rewatching the first episode of Kemono Friends and I guess I never noticed before that Serval-Chan or whatever has human AND animal ears.

I like the image I've seen where it says that their tails will clip through the skirts if the friends aren't thinking too hard about it, because kemonoplasm. I don't remember if it's supposed to be a canon explanation, but it is a funny one.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xun posted:

What's a good place to catch up on what chinese donghuas are airing/out? Just saw a clip from Fog hill of five elements and it owns. I probably would have totally missed it if a goon didn't bring it up first. I also really liked Heavens Official Blessing so maybe there's some more good stuff out there.

I've been starting with MAL and as was already mentioned they're all down at the bottom of the seasonal list in the ONA section. There's often not much info on the MAL page itself so from there I've just been googling each title to find PVs or title localizations and any fan wikis or blog reviews that might be floating around to see what kind of show it is and if I want to try to find subs.

The big one this season is Link Click since Funimation picked it up. There's a twitter account I follow linked in the thread for it that seems to be a pretty reliable source of info on donghua (phone-posting or I'd hop over and grab the link for you)

Fog Hill of Five Elements does indeed own :hmmyes:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 7, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can sometimes get info on where to watch a thing if the MAL page has discussion threads up for the show's episodes. some of them might be on nyaa if they're subbed, but contrary to anime it seems like raws don't get uploaded there.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I watched Mugen Train, it wasn't very good. If it had been a four-episode season finale arc I probably would've liked it well enough, but it just doesn't work as a movie. The biggest and most obvious flaw is the abrupt change in plot two thirds of the way through, when all of the train stuff is wrapped up and made irrelevant in the blink of an eye, and a new and completely blank slate of a villain is introduced literally out of thin air. This is fine in an episodic format, but it is just not how movies work. The final third also drags on way too long, and even during the (admittedly wonderfully animated) final battle Demon Slayer can't stop having its characters explain their every move. Everything leading up to the final third feels like a mediocre mid-season arc, with a tired dream prison plot and flat, uninspired direction, and the movie as a whole doesn't have anything to say that the anime series hasn't already said a dozen times over. It's pretty (some questionable CG notwithstanding) and the VAs do a good job as always, but it's too uninspired and poorly scripted to leave a lasting impression.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 7, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently a linked article that hasn't been made live yet on Toei's site has let slip that there's going to be a new Dragon Ball Super movie in 2022.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the mugen train movie is dope and the entire thing is the mugen train arc.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cave emperor posted:

I watched Mugen Train, it wasn't very good. If it had been a four-episode season finale arc I probably would've liked it well enough, but it just doesn't work as a movie. The biggest and most obvious flaw is the abrupt change in plot two thirds of the way through, when all of the train stuff is wrapped up and made irrelevant in the blink of an eye, and a new and completely blank slate of a villain is introduced literally out of thin air. This is fine in an episodic format, but it is just not how movies work. The final third also drags on way too long, and even during the (admittedly wonderfully animated) final battle Demon Slayer can't stop having its characters explain their every move. Everything leading up to the final third feels like a mediocre mid-season arc, with a tired dream prison plot and flat, uninspired direction, and the movie as a whole doesn't have anything to say that the anime series hasn't already said a dozen times over. It's pretty (some questionable CG notwithstanding) and the VAs do a good job as always, but it's too uninspired and poorly scripted to leave a lasting impression.

fair enough. i should note that some of your criticisms arise more from the source material than the adaptation. characters are going to explain there moves a lot, and the series isn't going to introduce any significant changes to the message or themes going forward. at this point kimetsu no yaiba has shown you a lot of its cards, from here on out it's mostly about meeting new characters and slightly different set ups.

i love it, but i also enjoyed the mugen train arc. if you were really let down by mugen train, you may be dissapointed going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The next arc is going to be interminable for you if you keep watching lol. Almost dropped the manga there, will probably avoid the anime too. There are good bits later but they're never that good. Pretty disappointing manga overall! Unless they totally rewrite the ending I don't see how the anime can really fix it either. It's not like a terrible twist ending or anything either, it's just a slow slide into tedium and disappointment.