Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just got into anime at the ripe age of 35. Watched all of re:zero, Mob Psycho and Im A Spider So What, and enjoyed them all (Spider being the worst obviously but still trashy fun).

What should I watch next anime friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Colonel posted:

you might like one punch man if you want more from mob's writer, it's more comical with less meaningful character growth stuff but it's still a decently fun time with some very pretty animation

I think I like character stuff a lot. Re:Zero reeeaaaalllyyy resonated with me (though it was way too much to care about/keep track of for my wife) and in general I’m kinda meh on action in the animes I have watched.

Don’t me wrong action is fun especially when the art style is cool af like Mob Psycho but that’s not typically why I’m watching.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

for what it's worth, if you have any particular genres you're interested in that helps recommendations a lot

like, the internet has a lot of people who seem to watch hyper-popular action anime and nothing else but one of the most popular shows on this subforum is a romance story centered around people playing competitive karuta

I agree that I'm doing a bad job of describing exactly what I might like. The problem is that I know next to nothing about anime so all I can provide is the few shows I watched and like. I get that it's hard to base recommendations off of that.

In any case I really appreciate the numerous replies and I will look into every last one of them. It's almost impossible to really... understand anime as someone looking in casually. I have so much to learn, and there's so much going on, and honestly a lot of what appear to be dead ends (shows that only get a season or two, etc) it's just hard to understand in general which is why recommendations are so helpful to me.

JoJo is absolutely on my list, Nitrous.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok I'm going to watch the Antarctica one that sounds like a good time! And I got the Redline movie. I'm gonna go through all of these recs over time. Thanks again everyone!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've been continuing my anime adventure on thread recommendations. Just watched Redline which was rad, and now just a few episodes from finishing the Antarctica anime.

I have some random thoughts about Antarctica:

1) I love it, though I did think it was a little odd that near the beginning of the series - roughly around the part where they try to woo the men to get onto the boat - , they kind of sneakily tried to sexualize the girls (some... creative under-shots along with Hinata just randomly having bouncy titties for like 2 episodes). It was all pretty mild and they completely 100% backed off it almost immediately, I just found it weird.

Like if that's the show they really want to do, then ok I guess, but why head in that direction for such a short time? Do shows get created ad-hoc while it's airing, and maybe ratings dropped or something? idgi. And a huge part of the show is how it's about innocence and adventure so I don't really get a direction like that in general.

2) The credits of this show are ridiculously awesome. My favorite part is the very beginning where the girl is on her bed facing the ceiling, and then she quickly flips over and the camera flips too. (sorry kind of an awkward description I don't know how else to phrase it). It COMPLETELY and utterly conveys the entire point and vibe of the show in literally 2 seconds. That is some masterful poo poo.

3) The music is really good. The 2 best animes I've watched so far (this one and re:zero) the music stirs something in me and I find myself listening to it during the workday and having some kind of emotional connection to it. I can't recall that ever happening before with other shows, and it's weirding out my wife, but gently caress it. stayyyyyyy allliiiiivvvveeeee

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Finished Antarctica anime it was very good! I definitely cried irl, what can I say.

I also watched all of Made in Abyss, which was pretty rad. Only problem is, I checked out the manga to see what would happen next (my first manga ever, but I was invested in the anime and didn't want it to end) and oh loving boy was that a mistake. I don't even want to get into the weirdo pedo/fetish poo poo that goes down just in the first part of the manga that picks up after the anime stops but I'm never reading a manga again.

The manga actually shifts the entire context of the show. Parts that I had previously forgiven for being kind of weird have revealed themselves to be somewhere between super sus and straight up perverted fetishization.

This show was on Amazon Prime video for gently caress sake. I might not have the constitution for this stuff man :/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and feedback. I understand that manga is a broad genre and maybe it shouldn’t upset me as much as it did (we’ve all seen some poo poo on the internet after all over the years).

There was just something horrific about enjoying an interesting show on a major streaming platform, then briefly viewing some of the source material, and realizing everything you just watched was essentially a fetish project revolving around children.

Art can explore themes that push boundaries, and I think that’s good! What really got me in the end was a progressive sense of being betrayed, essentially. I can forgive a lot in the context of art, but the way the show gets you invested on a story basis, then slips in more and more weird poo poo as it nears the end, is diabolical. I thought the anime was overall fine enough. Without reading the manga you don’t contextualize the show in the same way. I glossed over the iffy parts because artistic license is a thing, it was exploring morbid but interesting themes, and giving the benefit of the doubt to a different cultural medium is a good idea in general since we obviously don’t all share the exact same values.

So yeah, without the manga context the show was weird but good. The problem is once you do check out the manga, it reframes everything you just saw in the worst possible way. That’s why I view it as a betrayal; the way it takes something you previously both enjoyed, and gave the benefit of the doubt to, and reveals the author’s true intentions all along. That is so much worse than something like a gross video that never pretends to be anything else.

Anyways my anime journey so far has been awesome and Made In Abyss won’t change anything about that, so it’s all good, but I’m going to be a shitload more wary now about manga, even if it’s ultimately unfair. bitten once twice shy, etc.

Can’t decide if I want to watch Attack on Titan or JoJo next. So far I’ve seen all of: re zero, Antarctica, I’m a spider now, Mob Psycho, and Made in abyss.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Asobi asobase is only kind of good (has its moments for sure, novel premise but they ran out of ideas super quick) but I come to you with the opinion that it has the best op AND ed ever

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I’m sad that Nagatoro S1 is ending.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I mean, I don't think anything has been officially said/tweeted, but if the anime helps the books sell, I wouldn't rule a 2nd season out.

Please please please!

I liked Nagatoro so much I actually read the entire manga (the one and only manga I have read, minus Made in Abyss which I have banished from my memory and will simultaneously haunt me to my grave). I think that manga might have literally traumatized me but that's another topic.

It's weird, I figured Nagatoro would be stupid af honestly - and don't get me wrong, some parts of Nagatoro are cringy as hell... the chicken bento scene anyone as just one example, or everything involving that stupid rear end giant loving titty captain of the art team, god that's the worst, and her titties get bigger and bigger in each successive chapter which seemed specifically designed to make me mad - but I ended up loving it overall.

The premise seemed shallow but I guess I'm basic because it roped me in hook line and sinker when it transitioned from "weird shaming fetish stuff" to more of a romantic comedy featuring two people who each have their own personality issues and helping each other better themselves. I also liked how the beginning fetishistic stuff actually makes perfect sense in framing the development of the show later, so it becomes less weird when viewing it through the lens of having understood the characters better.

Seriously though A+ series would recommend. It hit a weird part of my soul that I didn't think existed. I'm super extroverted so I don't really relate to the lead at all, but there's just something so magical about the premise. The series goes out of its way to act like it's one thing, and then becomes another, completely awesome thing in a way that I thought was wonderful. And besides the handful of uncomfortable quirks of the show, the way it portrays young love and finding yourself and all of those otherwise played-out tropes was extremely refreshing.

I could say a lot about this show. The way Nagatoro's friends hate on him but kind of simultaneously want him to succeed. The obnoxiously cute moments that totally work and feel deserved because of the other elements of the show. Little things like when Senpai goes to Nagatoro's house and they play video games! And other stuff but I don't think we can talk about the manga (I'm guessing).

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2021

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Watchin’ Dragon Maid since the new season is being hyped and it is very cute except for the pedo stuff and the fetish stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Lol I put off watching Jujutsu Kaisen because honestly Shounen doesn't normally do much for me but godddddd dam, it's wonderful. I ended up watching the entire 24 episode run in 3 days.

I still don't like a lot of the weird Shounen conceits (like explaining in intense numerical detail how a certain punch works) but the way they kinda try to justify it (explaining it makes it stronger!) sorta works or at least makes it more tolerable.

My faith in Shounen was restored in 2021, as a 35 year old geezer? Who would have loving thought...