Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Funimation posted:

Big West has officially recognized the licensing of Macross (Super Dimension Fortress Macross) by Harmony Gold in the 1980s, ending decades of concern over the series’ rights outside of Japan.

Today, Big West and Harmony Gold announced that previous conflict over the Macross and Robotech series has been resolved, with Big West acknowledging the proper licensing of the series by Harmony Gold, and Harmony Gold recognizing the Macross spin-offs that Big West has produced since the series’ initial release.

Existing licenses of the series were confirmed to be unaffected by this news. The press release includes information about the two parties working to distribute Macross outside of Japan:

“The landmark agreement immediately permits worldwide distribution of most of the Macross films and television sequels worldwide, and also confirms that Big West will not oppose the Japanese release of an anticipated upcoming live-action Robotech film. The agreement also recognizes Harmony Gold’s longstanding exclusive license with Tatsunoko for the use of the 41 Macross characters and mecha in the Robotech television series and related merchandise throughout the world excluding Japan.

Moving forward, both parties will cooperate on distribution regarding future Macross and Robotech projects for the benefit of both franchises.”

The series first released as Super Dimension Fortress Macross in 1982 in Japan, and was licensed by Harmony Gold USA (along with Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA) and released as Robotech in the United States in 1985.

In 2019, Funimation announced that it had acquired home video, streaming and merchandise rights to the Robotech series in partnership with Harmony Gold, with more info to come.

Well, that's either bad or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm at least as baffled by the notion that there's actually a market for a I've action Robotech movie.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Let's make a mug is actually one of those weird "Let's Inspire Tourism" things.

Yes, clearly this will reverse the birthrate.

E:the fact that the crunchyroll app no longer allows screenshots when there's a show with such a glorious variety of facial expressions like Nagatoro airing this season is just tragic.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 11, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Why does everything have to be about the birth rate with you people

Okay to be fair Tajimi has actually had it's population increase over the past decades. So it's definitely not the birthrate.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Why thr gently caress do you know this

Because it's 2021, and all I had to do was look up Tajimi on Wikipedia and scroll down to demographics.

It's also possible I just randomly picked birthrate as a hot button issue in smaller Japanese municipalities for comic effect.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 11, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

why did you look up taijimi

Because that's the municipality whose tourism board part funded let's make a mug.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think it'd be best if you didn't pick out the awkward japanese political issue you don't have to deal with in your daily life as a person who doesn't live in japan for comedic effect in talking about a random mug making anime

e:nvm, not worth my time

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

alright so i have now watched all of ex-arm

even if it had A-class animation, lusciously painted backgrounds, and superb direction, it would still be a mediocre-to-bad sci-fi anime (so I guess i'm saying I have no interest in reading the manga even if the quality is better there)

it was kind of like a high school kid writing his first sci-fi story after reading the back cover to the VHS of ghost in the shell, and he had also just played metal gear solid and went to make dinner during the ending

there are multiple characters that turn traitor that just don't matter, like it's not like they were this lovable character you grew attached to, and their sudden change doesn't really impact the plot. one character is being controlled by Beta (the antagonist) but it has no impact on the story whatsoever as he sheds that body immediately after discovery, and there's only one point in the whole season where that character attempted any kind of shenanigans, which was right in the final arc. one character is unceremoniously killed in a 5 second flashback where they go "by the way, this character died" and you're like oh no.. i guess... they had some sort of leadership role... that we didn't see much of

there are no real heady concepts here, as the story's final arc where all the messages are meant to be conveyed are the most basic "humans like war" "NO! humans also love!" back and forth. all the while a really long, really bad JRPG final boss fight is happening. and I mean JRPG final boss as it literally has three phases with different designs and it's clear that this studio's only past pedigree is in doing support work for video games.

in the end i was mostly seeing if, by the end of production, maybe at least one of the people working on the show would have worked out how to make the rigs emote. there is a hand-drawn character that changes expressions at least once per shot, in the final episode, although the hand-drawn art is still incompetently composited into the shot, as she zooms and pans at a different speed than the 3d characters. but hey, they actually tried to animate her hair blowing in the wind, and the person who did that probably got paid $10 if they're lucky for that animation loop before being shown the door

i had wondered if this would be a Knack-type situation where people ironically enjoy it to the point that it has a level of popularity that tricks the production companies into funding a second season, but there's no way in hell. just too many quality anime in the winter for anyone to even give this show any atttention

so i guess that's a good thing. but we'll probably not have another production on a level this bad for a while. i hope the next time it happens it's a fully hand-drawn disaster

Did anyone at Crunchyroll actually watch this trainwreck as it was coming together? I have no idea how these collaborations work.