Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

why is it called ground floor? the floor is usually on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Willo567 posted:

i am convinced that the best way to create an anime (or any story really) is to drop a poo poo ton of nouns written down on paper in a hat, pick two from it, and create a premise based on the bizarre combination

Ok here's a story I'd like you to write:

It's about *shuffles around in hat* you *shuffles again* not posting.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I am the sock puppet account of Wark Say

I loving knew it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Willo567 posted:

manga>anime

fight me

A lot of really good mecha anime is anime original so I will not agree with this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

All Of Them

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

also the favorite gay anime is given

I thought given was just ok

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

About half a year ago I made a video about Diaclone and posted it in that iteration of the chat thread.

I made a second one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Genki de irareru kara genki de irareru kara
Te wo agete yatte miru mae wo muite yatte miru

Ashita no koto nante wakaranai kara tte
Ugokanai mama nara hajimaranai kara
Tatte mite aruku (stand up stand up!) sutaato kitte hashiru (let\'s ♪)
Sono sakini mirai to yuu senkou ga aru

TSUKAMU PURAIDO
TSUKAMU SUCCESS
GENKI NO G WA HAJIMARI NO G
G NO RECONGUISTA

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

(El) G-Reco was great and the eyecatches just put you in a great loving mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Yo4ryp6bk

They were choreographed by Tomino's daughter, who's a professional dancer.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

see, all the lil production bits surrounding the show were great and now I can enjoy them whenever wo ever having to watch it again!

That's funny, I have very similar feelings about your posts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

There was a brief time when I thought about getting into speedrunning RAD, but the record at the time was something like six hours and it would have meant skipping all the dialogue like some kind of monster.

RAD seems like a really bad speedrun game unless there's some weird glitch that teleports you to the final boss.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Robot Alchemic Drive? Always wanted to try that game after doing the demo.

It's a lot of fun, the one major problem it has is, as the colonel noted, a severe lack of enemy variety.

Also play it undubbed, the english dub is funny for 10 minutes and then quickly becomes unbearable.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Mall shooting 2: Electric Boogaloo

I hope you're doing ok Waffleman.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Well ok but not cause you told me to.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

What happened in the last page, am I having a stroke? :psyduck:

You are, we're all just hallucinations caused by it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

nice selfie

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m watching evangelion again

Man evangelion was good

I'm excited for the last movie to come out in a way I can watch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Taima posted:

Finished Antarctica anime it was very good! I definitely cried irl, what can I say.

I also watched all of Made in Abyss, which was pretty rad. Only problem is, I checked out the manga to see what would happen next (my first manga ever, but I was invested in the anime and didn't want it to end) and oh loving boy was that a mistake. I don't even want to get into the weirdo pedo/fetish poo poo that goes down just in the first part of the manga that picks up after the anime stops but I'm never reading a manga again.

The manga actually shifts the entire context of the show. Parts that I had previously forgiven for being kind of weird have revealed themselves to be somewhere between super sus and straight up perverted fetishization.

This show was on Amazon Prime video for gently caress sake. I might not have the constitution for this stuff man :/

I don't really understand this mindset. You had one positive experience and one negative one, and from that you've concluded you may want to give up? Did Made in Abyss being creepy invalidate Antarctica being good? If I were you what I'd take from this is to be careful in your selection, not to give up altogether.

And manga is just like, japanese comic books. There are thousands of them spanning every genre you can think of. Made in Abyss being gross has no bearing on any other manga except for maybe the other ones its author has written.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I decided to rewatch Shirobako cause of the movie. I have a really strong memory from the first time I watched it of Aoi counting the cuts after she picked them up from a keyframe artist working from home and then learning that's a rude thing to do, but there wasn't a scene like that in the show when i rewatched it. Does anyone know what show a scene like that is from, or did i dream it up entirely?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Went ahead and started rewatching Shirobako in anticipation of it coming to theaters. Show still very good

don-don donuts let's go nuts

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

They've never said what the original plan was, but they have said that Near and Mello were designed in a rush, so they definitely weren't part of the original plans. If I had to guess, what makes the most sense to me is a scenario where Light does kill L, but L'd planned things out in such a way that his death also incriminates Light - sooort of like the play Mello makes at the end of the actual series, just I imagine less convoluted and not over an entire half of the series.

One of the live-action movies ends kind of like that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

I meant more why we call them “anime” rather than just “cartoons” like we do for nearly everything else animated regardless of its origin.

Also a lot of design choices you see in anime (like characters with big eyes for example) were originally inspired by/stolen from old Disney cartoons to begin with.

This is anecdotal but I've heard japanese people use cartoon for american animation specifically.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mill Village posted:

I finished Nagatoro tonight. They kinda shoehorn a plot into the last three episodes but it was entertaining enough so I can forgive that. Like it ultimately had a satisfying conclusion. The final scene was cute. :3:

FWIW that arc is in the manga too, it's not like they made it up for the anime or anything.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

They offered me the position before them. I could be your mod right now. :)

At least we avoided the worst-case scenario

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't realise there was anything other than the TV series....

The movie's a lot of fun and I'd recommend it. It doesn't finish the plot at all though lol.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Asking here instead of the thread because although I don't usually mind spoilers, I think the surprise is part of what made Gridman good:

What do people think of Dynazenon? Overall good?

:pathetic:

I also think Dynazenon is very good, but like endorph and space said its strengths are different from Gridman's

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

We still don't 😔

Explains your posts at least.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Patlabor 2 is really good film that I really don't like as a *Patlabor* film

Strongly agree. Luckily the TV continuity exists and it has a really good ending.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WCL posted:

So, it's been ~5 years since i've watched any anime and i'm getting back on that train.

Thought I'd post and say hello. Not really sure how tight-knit or casual the community is these days, but figured it doesn't hurt to kinda introduce myself.

Trying to wade through all the shows i've missed and it is kinda daunting. I'll prob post something in the request thread to get a sense of direction for where to go.

Hello! I like robots. If you want recs on anime robots i can hook you up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

sb hermit posted:

Did you like Eden on Netflix?

I am not a Netflix-haver so I cannot comment I'm afraid.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

verbal enema posted:

someone at the bar called my Hatsune Miku water bottle a "water bottle for degenerates" :mad:

They were right, a gentleman prefers Luka

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

This whole thing kind of highlights something that bugs me a lot where people attribute so much to a single person especially in a medium that's as collaborative as anime. Chiaki J. Konaka isn't responsible for everything you like about the shows you like. There are dozens of people that make your favorite episodes and moments shine.

Agreed but I also don't really know how to solve that problem. Finding out who worked on an anime usually takes more effort than it does for an english-speaking movie. tbh i still prefer this over people attributing it to the studio it was made at.

The Colonel posted:

i am so tired of people saying things like this

Also I didn't want to jump down his throat cause i don't want willo to think i have something against them personally but god yes this is the worst kind of posting.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

ANN's encyclopedia has pretty extensive credits even for surprisingly obscure shows, even down to who worked on what dubs in what country. Sakugabooru can get even more granular and tell you exactly which artists worked on which animation sequences! I've found a lot of anime simply by following an animation director around or something. It also has a cool feature that lets you compare credits between shows. It gets pretty hairy for stuff like sound and recording since it's underappreciated but it's a good place to start looking

Yeah sure but my point was more that that's still more effort than just, reading the names in the credits. I'm not saying it's difficult i'm just saying a lot of people won't take that extra step.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah but from now on you can only like media made by bad people. Your new favorite movie is Jeepers Creepers

I'm glad he can still like your videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I believe so, yes!

Did it turn out to be good?

It's fine but I found it kind of disappointing. It has a very obvious twist anyone could see coming from a mile away, and the last arc does away with the racing all together to fight a villain, which i didn't find very satisfying.