Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I swear I’ll post more.

Don’t worry, I actually won’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Slight derail from sub/dub talk, but how the heck am I still in the top 50?!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Willo567 posted:

so is it like a racing game or something? do i date the horse girls

I’m guessing yes and yes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Reading fire punch is like watching a train wreck.

You just can’t look away.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It’s okay to like trash, so long as it’s your trash.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

You should read "Are You Really Getting Married?" by the TWGOK author. It's a very different kind of story but I've really been enjoying it. I'd link it but well, you know how it is.

Wholehearted second on this. It’s great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Grouchio posted:

1. Manga started off great with tall and curvy designs and good plot.
2. Editor forces author to draw them like bobbleheads and keep shoe-horning in new girls.
3. Eventually the manga cops out of a permanent absence for the main girl.
4. Then in comes an extremely forced marriage plot involving an all-controlling mother.
5. At this point the author has enough of this bullshit (probably fired the editor)
6. Starts bringing back the old character designs and writes out the marriage plot ASAP:
7. "I want to control my son's life" = "Aww you're so caring for your son!" = "Wait I am? okay no marriage"
8. Author vows to work professionally on his work and get poo poo back in order.

I’m a few chapters behind and uh, this explains a lot. I’m looking forward to going back to basics, I guess.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Stairmaster posted:

Can't believe the thread is imploding cause space flower got horny

Paging Dick Spacious.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

kirbysuperstar posted:

As far as I can tell nothing actually ever happens or progresses in the story and you're more or less reading/watching it for the spider talking to her headmate selves

Yeah, and when it’s just Aoi Yuuki just talking and talking and talking it’s pretty great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If I already black out during the full moon, will the Pfizer one fix that?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay, my buddy and I just watched like 4, maybe 5 episodes of Wandering Witch Elaina, and holy HELL is she a terrible person. It ended up with us just losing our poo poo (very loudly) as more and more horrific things happen around her and she just basically says, "Well that's odd. Oh well," and just flies away.

Thing is, I read a bit of the manga a while back, that's why we picked it up. I remember some of the messed-up situations from the manga, but Elaina didn't come off nearly as badly there. Sure - maybe she didn't dwell on things and lament when bad things happened, but she did seem to care like, in the moment.

I guess my question is: Are we overreacting? Did the anime kinda shift her tone a bit, maybe make it seem like she's a trust fund kid on a gap year going around the world doing feel-good third-world tourism but not actually, y'know, helping?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Julias posted:

Going by the various posts as it was airing, it seems like it's a bit of "it was always there" and "the anime adaptation exacerbated it due to trimming stories run time and her own internal thoughts"

Endorph posted:

the anime adaptation trimmed our her own thoughts, cut out some of the more lowkey stories, and also amped every story's darkness up by like 10-15%.

theres an entire bit in the manga where she literally cries about being unable to help people that comes later than the anime got to but also feels like a kind of important character thing

Cool, ty. I’m glad I wasn’t lying to him when trying to defend her a little bit.

I’m not sure if I would’ve preferred they didn’t trim anything out though, it’s kind of a hoot watching the anime and shouting about it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Stairmaster posted:

personally i think haruhi suziyama should kick my rear end instead

Dick Spacious parachute account spotted.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
If you need manga, there is one hero bringing us new Bocchi.

Nate RFB posted:

Bumping for a huge batch of Hitoribocchi chapters to get by in these times.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Huzzah! posted:

Its fine. The finale episode will be Lets Make a Golem, solving all problems.

Insert a gif of my (very stereotypical) childhood rabbi’s eyes narrowing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Grouchio posted:

Huzzah! I have gotten my first vaccine shot!

Just got my second!
Woo!
Time to ... watch more anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay chat thread. Bubblegum Crisis. How do?

Should I watch the OVAs first, go straight to the reboot, or what? I may end up just doing the latter out of convenience.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ty for all the tips, will watch the OVAs.

Also
This is why it popped back up on my radar. Been meaning to watch it for a long time, but never had the chance. We’ll see when I get to it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

TenementFunster posted:

nobody else said this, so i guess i have to be the one to say it: all you need to watch is the original eight episode ova, friend.
Cool and good, ty all again.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

macabresca posted:

Anybody interested in history of cute anime girls, from lolicon to moe? I have absolutely no knowledge about the subject so I can't say how thorough this article is but it seems to be pretty informative and objective, although now I'd like to know more about non-straight-male-otaku perspective
Pass

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
How do you do fellow humans.
I too enjoy dumping hand sanitizer into my various orifices.
I also enjoy dumping various mineral oils into my various orifices.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gah.
I haven’t really read much of anything since mangadex went down, I’ve been waiting for it to come back so I can keep track of what I’m reading.
But ... new chapter of Misoshiru? Gaaaaaaah testing my resolve.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

i've heard the anime cuts out most of her bits of reflection, might be worth giving the manga or novels a look

Yeah, I think I had my reaction to the anime here in the chat thread. Which is essentially your point.
The anime makes her out to be a sociopath observing some messed up poo poo the she does not care about. Everything other medium makes her a human experiencing her travels around the world and reacting to them. It’s so pronounced that my friend who has no other frame of reference for the series was wondering if the anime director was doing it on purpose.
Every episode was just him shouting “what the gently caress?! And she’s not doing ANYTHING??” Louder and louder.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's just the obsession with youth taken to a further degree than some other countries. The older I get the sillier it feels. I'm 28 this June, if I was an anime they'd give me bags under my eyes and the physical build of a man in his late fifties.
I feel attacked.
I always laughed when anime would have a grizzled looking dude be the older figure, and he’s like 30.

Now I’m 30 and I look like that oh god whyyyyy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been pegged as looking like I'm 30 since I was 18.

Fricken :same:

Wait a couple years. At least people start guessing correctly.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

GorfZaplen posted:

The next arc is going to be interminable for you if you keep watching lol. Almost dropped the manga there, will probably avoid the anime too. There are good bits later but they're never that good. Pretty disappointing manga overall! Unless they totally rewrite the ending I don't see how the anime can really fix it either. It's not like a terrible twist ending or anything either, it's just a slow slide into tedium and disappointment.
Yeah, customer service?

I’d like to return my free gorf.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Waffleman_ posted:

Hi chat thread. I ripped my pants at work today. It's just a small rip between my legs, so it's not a full SpongeBob, but it's still kind of a bummer.

Keep wearing them occasionally and seeing how big you can get the rip without it being obvious.

It’s great fun. I went about a month and a half.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Taima posted:

Finished Antarctica anime it was very good! I definitely cried irl, what can I say.

I also watched all of Made in Abyss, which was pretty rad. Only problem is, I checked out the manga to see what would happen next (my first manga ever, but I was invested in the anime and didn't want it to end) and oh loving boy was that a mistake. I don't even want to get into the weirdo pedo/fetish poo poo that goes down just in the first part of the manga that picks up after the anime stops but I'm never reading a manga again.

The manga actually shifts the entire context of the show. Parts that I had previously forgiven for being kind of weird have revealed themselves to be somewhere between super sus and straight up perverted fetishization.

This show was on Amazon Prime video for gently caress sake. I might not have the constitution for this stuff man :/

Definite tonal shift, but if i may suggest something...
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou! In that link you'll find a download link with both the short OVAs and the original manga scans (This series, to my eternal dismay, probably will never be officially translated). You can watch the OVAs, then read the manga - they're both great, and I think it will show you a different side of manga.

And if you won't take my word for it, take it from this absolute legend that I had no idea existed until 10 minutes ago but now I see is actually just me aged forward about 30 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kCXl9ooKCI

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So I dove down a little bit of a hole just now, but as far as anyone can tell, Grumpy Jiisan is probably dead :(

But he DID have a twitter, and god dammit at some point in the future I'm going to be time-traveling back to the late 00s to retire in Arizona.
Because I'm pretty sure he was just future me.
https://twitter.com/grumpyjiisan/status/10709635350667264

E:

sb hermit posted:

The music for the 2nd OVA series is fantastic

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQL9Xn8Zhxqs_JqsipJkZIncIRLd6wboK

Aria is also in a similar vein (if not a spiritual successor) but YKK is a classic.
Yeah, I really do love the music in all the OVAs. Entirely unrelated to that though, every time I watch them it just really hammers home the 90s big sunglasses aesthetic and I fricken love it.
Oddly enough though, I've never actually made it around to Aria. I probably should.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 9, 2021

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
[Excitement intensifies]

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
We are all still on the boat, in our hearts

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Whole lotta sad times for mangaka right now :(
:rip:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Seconding spice and wolf.

Also I’ll recommend Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou to literally anyone from here till the end of time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay. Just watched ep 1 of Super Cub.

When is this bike’s thirst for blood going to be fulfilled?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
No.

… not since the last time…

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Weirdly unfunny dad jokes with racial undertones are racist jokes, op.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mister Facetious posted:

Been very much enjoying the lack of any plot whatsoever in The Slime Diaries.

Every episode is basically :3:

I read the manga, and I feel bad that I don’t have enough time to watch the anime just for the comfyness of it.
It’s a top-tier do-nothing anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Burbo when are you going back through the touhos

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Zetsubou-san posted:

nah, I had a good laugh instead

Gawd drat.

We’re old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Didn’t the demon slayer manga end because of health problems in the mangaka’s family? Either her or her family, I don’t remember.
E fwiw, op, I watched bleach and naruto back in the day. IMO Demon slayer is far better than either of them, even with its pacing problems toward the end.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 14, 2021