Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's still making me lol so here's one of the uma musumes from the game that finally came out kicking you in the face

https://twitter.com/himuron/status/1364512759757426691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a training sim afaik

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Saya and Yuu would be a really great couple in any other situation but...Touko

That can't work because then we'd lose out on everyone on the the planet except Sayaka herself looking at Haru and Yuu next to each other and asking questions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TRIGGER_support/status/1364725711697756160

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if you're watching DR3 despite not liking the games all that much are you gonna throw yourself all the way into the pit and play UDG

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The title is about Jobless Reincarnation, but it's actually a neat article about the history of isekai and "Narou" fiction in general.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-03-19/mushoku-tensei-is-not-the-pioneer-of-isekai-web-novels-but/.170429

Long and short: the fanfic-y qualities of isekai and similar WN premise trends comes directly from fanfiction, particularly Zero no Tsukaima fanfiction, and it proliferated so hard due to a combination of Narou banning fanfic in 2012 and the demonstrated success of WN authors like Reki with Accel World. MT's author has talked about how he was drawn to Narou following failure to publish through traditional channels, and like many fanfics and other isekai, it's a result of a write-as-you-go process, drawing on reader reactions and other writers (apparently he straight up told rezero's author that it inspired a climax in MT).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"this show seems neat"
"Death."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Elaina novels have their issues but the manga and anime are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to building on something in adaptation versus not and also dropping chunks of what already worked.

So the lesson is: the manga author works as part of a duo on The Apothecary Diaries manga and that's a fun time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

We need an isekai about a guy isekaid who has to kill all the isekai protagonists that appeared and hosed up the balance of the world.

Because another isekai protagonist would further cause problems all they get is two scrolls of feather fall, hold portal and suggestion.

There is, in fact, a series about a character whose job it is to murder isekai kids before they gently caress things up. They aren't a transplant themselves though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Is it at least fun? I know there was a doujin/webcomic/webmanga/whatchamacallit where it followed a truck-kun.

I liked the volume of Executioner I read well enough, though they of course get derailed by their latest target being very difficult to permanently kill.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, it seems pretty obvious it's going for a "hey this story you've been told about the Isekai'd kids destroying the world if you don't murder them as soon as they land in our world" may not be a totally true story told to our executioner protagonist.

Either that or she's going to fall for the aforementioned impossible to kill Isekai and forsake her task.

Well yeah, though as of the first volume that still appears true, the main twist is that her boss was also in on trying to exploit isekai kid powers for personal gain.

The main character's motivation of "killing innocent kids is hosed up, so I'll become the best killer and do all the murders myself" is also really funny and makes me think of that one set of Gundam IBO lines.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 4, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this whole situation is gonna finally turn me into a spreadsheet guy if/when MD comes back up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's getting it backwards, E8 exists because the season had already gotten a significant portion of its story shifted into a film project.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. Someone who was excited about a second season and was disappointed that most of the cour went to the same episode eight times doesn't necessarily care about why that happened. It's irrelevant to the actual experience.

they shouldn't care because that time is instead in a cool movie

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I could've told you that just based on the description and being part-live action.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why would anyone want an official Mother 3 TL, especially right now when it'd cost $30 and only be available to purchase for three months.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1385649651760734209?s=19

In other news I cannot believe that the Adachi and Shimamura author decided the best bonus for the final volume of a 12 ep anime adaptation was a story about one of them after the other, and every other named character, has died of old age. It's cool but drat, especially attached to something that only covered early parts of the books.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I still see akanesasu passed around a bit, which is more than I can say for some other passed-over shows.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

verbal enema posted:

What was the post apoc elf anime where the bread commits suicide

Humanity has Declined/jinrui wa suitai shimashita

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

The worst ln is better than the best manga for knowing the two worlds of pictures and words must never cross.

Combine the two and you'll just get a dragon rampaging through your house or something.

LNs by definition all have illustrations

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a heresy that would involve mass suffering

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dunno where to put this in games since they haven't mentioned specific systems or genre beyond "action", but cygames grabbed noted senkags guy Takaki to direct a console game

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1395182546455957507?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

And being that so many start off as webnovels it's basically the same as someone writing "A fic where [characters] do [thing]"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Babylonia 00 was initially treated as a somewhat budget preview of what to come, but it's probably the most interesting part for being (partially, it's still kind of a recap) its own thing.

e: tho tbh I'm still kind of interested in Solomon since that's shorter and mostly focused on other characters until the very end and gudao having a power armor thing is interesting even if it isn't a personality, lol

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 19, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, the fgo manga come across way more author-driven than the anime which is why they're fun. esp when they do stuff like the parts in Shimosa that sneak in the author's take on the home base dynamics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's one part of a 3-part project including it and a new console and mobile game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the next big goon hit, redo of healer but he keeps saying it's an ironic deconstruction so it's okay

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wasn't there a legit service that tried to essentially do that? AnimeSol or something?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the OVA was an add to a re-air to bridge to the movie and doesn't add a whole lot plotwise, but is worthwhile for dedicating a number of jokes to the character of Instructor Sugita, voiced by Sugita, who claims to be super cool and know the main cast's captain super well and is immediately revealed to be a dork bragging about things like saying "hi" during coffee once

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean it's massively popular in japan specifically. It has plenty of fans here, but that's where it really blew up out of nowhere after the anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also it's not like the OG imas characters ever got dumped. I'm pretty sure there's at least one gacha with the ogmas characters in it, and there's an upcoming console sim game with the original cast plus select characters from CG and Shiny.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

personally, I think it's good for a protagonist to have flaws, and even for shows to be about them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think robots looking cool in spite of being in awful or futile conflicts is any more a flaw than people thinking a villain is cool and interesting despite clearly being bad or wrong tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but also yeah, eva TV/EoE honestly doesn't have that many straightforward "cool" fights. Even when it's not a horrorshow it's stuff like "asuka tries to not die in a goofy lava suit" or "we Danced To Win and still looked like dipshits at the end"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fangz posted:

The point I was making wasn't so much that NGE is bad actually, more that some people's frustration is that this teenager being sad is getting in the way of the cool fights they are watching the show for, and thus the sentiment that he should get over it already

the second ep firmly establishes that him getting sad enables the "coolest" moments tho :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's a direct continuation of the adaptation, so if you liked the show, you're pretty likely to enjoy the movie too.