Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Polsy posted:

https://polsy.org.uk/ani/stats/whoposted1to24.html

now featuring equal ranks for people with the same number of posts and changes from last time

how did i post in chat thread 1 and 2 and then only jump back in on 19? man, getting old enough that i can't even remember large chunks of my posting career

well, back to never posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't know what it is about tatsuki fujimoto, but first i shotgunned the entirety of firepunch in one sitting, and later all of the available chainsaw man in another single sitting

i don't know what it is, because i wouldn't necessarily describe them as enjoyable, but they are inexplicably compelling

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i haven't been looking at the eva thread for fear of spoilers. are there any indications of when we can expect a stateside release? 2028?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i hadn't really thought of myself as an otaku, but i just realized that if anno and kojima ever collaborated on a project i would spend thousands of dollars on it no matter its quality

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
blanking on the name of a manga, and since mangadex is down, I can't check my follows

involved two characters made immortal by a magic cataclysm wandering through the shattered world trying to find a way to kill themselves. involved a lot of somber themes, but the main characters themselves are very slapstick

googling gives me nothing

edit: i picked it up initially because someone linked it in this thread, so at least one of you knows

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

yeah, bingo. thanks!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

surely some kind of themed pachinko game would be the more true to the character way to lose all of your money

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't recommend anime anymore because i become emotionally devastated when someone doesn't like stuff as much as i do

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, the progress report on mangadex revamp has given me a beautiful dream that the weekend after it relaunches i'm going to just binge a couple of months worth of manga across two days

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Coaaab posted:

I’m imagining intense traffic jams and being hacked again within a week

stop making GBS threads on my dream! i need this bit of hope

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cave emperor posted:

I watched Mugen Train, it wasn't very good. If it had been a four-episode season finale arc I probably would've liked it well enough, but it just doesn't work as a movie. The biggest and most obvious flaw is the abrupt change in plot two thirds of the way through, when all of the train stuff is wrapped up and made irrelevant in the blink of an eye, and a new and completely blank slate of a villain is introduced literally out of thin air. This is fine in an episodic format, but it is just not how movies work. The final third also drags on way too long, and even during the (admittedly wonderfully animated) final battle Demon Slayer can't stop having its characters explain their every move. Everything leading up to the final third feels like a mediocre mid-season arc, with a tired dream prison plot and flat, uninspired direction, and the movie as a whole doesn't have anything to say that the anime series hasn't already said a dozen times over. It's pretty (some questionable CG notwithstanding) and the VAs do a good job as always, but it's too uninspired and poorly scripted to leave a lasting impression.

fair enough. i should note that some of your criticisms arise more from the source material than the adaptation. characters are going to explain there moves a lot, and the series isn't going to introduce any significant changes to the message or themes going forward. at this point kimetsu no yaiba has shown you a lot of its cards, from here on out it's mostly about meeting new characters and slightly different set ups.

i love it, but i also enjoyed the mugen train arc. if you were really let down by mugen train, you may be dissapointed going forward

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sinky posted:

Nagata Kabi's new book is out
Not drinking at all to severe acute pancreatitis in three years :gonk:

i managed to get through my lesbian experience with loneliness, but not my solo exchange diary

the stuff she's writing about just feels too psychologically raw, it makes me physically uncomfortable reading it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Larryb posted:

That bad huh? My sympathies

So what’s the Berserk author’s excuse then? Is he also in bad health currently or something?

he keeps getting distracted by his new passions, drawing each chapter of beserk with ever increasingly detailed backgrounds, and drawing short unrelated works featuring childlike characters in uncomfortably sexual positions

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
psycho pass is depressing, but only in the sense that the series dives off a cliff after the first season

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve actually watched an episode of RWBY. I assume it’s good?

all i know about it is that a former goon now youtuber made a 90 minute video essay that essentially boiled down to "it's middling, but feels worse than that due to wasted potential"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

oh that's dope. hopefully they get some good va's it seems like something that will live and die based on how well they can sell the characters

Bullbar posted:

We've been watching our way through MHA, and the Deku vs Todoroki fight has some of the best animation I've ever seen

the way that fight comes together makes it probably my favorite episode of any of the shonen that i've watched

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

marumaru posted:

no sign of 3.0+1.0 on blu-ray, huh?

has anyone heard anything about a us theatrical release? i've been avoiding the eva thread for fear of spoilers

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Black Stones posted:

Not a peep, I’m sure it’s going to be a while because Khara is going to micromanage every aspect of its release after the 3.0 debacle.

yikes, wasn't the delay in 3.0 making it stateside like, two years after the japanese theatrical release? and what was the debacle? the showing i attended seemed fine enough, at least as best as i can remember 7 years ago

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the isekai parody genre was already perfected with the introduction of isekai ojisan

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

please tell me what this is so i can go watch it all

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Captain Invictus posted:

made my steam account when I got half life 2 for christmas.

i went to check my account while thinking to myself "surely it can't have been that long" and lol, my steam reg date is 4 days after yours

old as gently caress

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
totoro is up there in miyazaki body of work for me because my younger sister had a tendency to wander off and cause panics so it really spoke to my lived experience when i watched it as a child

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i haven't watched 3.0+1.0 yet because i'm holding out for a theatrical release because i'm annoying nerd, so i don't know how this plays out in the end, but in the previous rebuild movies shinji does embrace getting in the robot and every time he does it only makes things worse. this also happens a couple of times in the series and eoe, but is made more explicit in rebuild

maybe the series is trying to communicate something

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

marumaru posted:

who is the best evangelion girl anyway?? (platonically)

the class rep trying her best to give asuka whatever emotional support a teenager can give someone with crippling depression always struck me as probably the most decent thing anyone does in the entire series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
k-on dared to ask what would happen if you based a series around drinking tea and eating sweets and i applaud their courage

FilthyImp posted:

Eva Blu-ray preorders are up at Gkids and the licensing to Fly Me To The Moon is keeping it from being included at the end.

once again my irresponsible impulse purchase of the platinum dvd collection (over 15 years ago(!!!)) remains the wisest decision of my life

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

it's about a band of girls playing music, actually

the show will get around to that one day after it finishes the tea drinking and sweet eating

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

this is so clever and subversive, wow

what's subversive, the topic has an entire mini-arc with azu-nyan feeling angsty about it in the second season? were you really frustrated when they were eating snacks instead of practicing? i don't know if you entirely got the show, but that's ok

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

no describing a show like that is tedious to read constantly

gently caress, too bad it's a big visible part of the show

Aurora posted:

also that post is somehow even worse

and just think, if you had an ignored an innocuous joke instead of going aggro you would never have had to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

it's not a good joke friend

wait is it a joke or an actual description of the show?????? you're crossing your wires here

it's a joke and a description of the show. i liked the musical aspects of the show, but i really liked the non-musical aspects of the show (so the majority of the series). i find it amusing that a show nominally about a band has such a large slice of life component, and given how many jokes the show makes about that balance, that's not some out there take. i'm sorry for enjoying something in a way that's apparently different from how you enjoy it