Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Topical

Is the anime adaption of golden kamuy pretty good? The manga sucked me in and I'm curious to see it animated.

the anime is good yeah, i watched through it last month and it's definitely a favorite. there's some perplexing cgi choices in the first few episodes that got it a bad rep, most notably the infamous bear, but the production values get better each season and it's a good adaptation otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

friend juice.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

imaishi's too busy making the cyberpunk 2077 anime everyone wanted to make more PSG

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it doesn't sound like they managed to abridge it into a coherent story though?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Larryb posted:

Do we know if it’ll be on Crunchyroll or any other official source yet?

funimation has it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Wait, they are making a Cestvs anime?!

yes but it's a netflix full cg anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they're not that much bigger than any other studio, they've just been taking on a psycho amount of work the past couple years and crunching their staff extra hard to get it done

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the production committee gets all the revenue, the anime studio is just a contractor unless they're on the production committee. and even when they are they're usually behind like 8 other companies so they get a tiny piece of the pie.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the 4th one is the best

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if it has to be like that then having one key animator is better than having a bunch

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they created that branding like a year ago so stuff from before then doesn't have it even if it was a co-production

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've only watched railgun and never felt like i was missing any context. the boring spiky hair dude that shows up in railgun every now and then is the index MC, thats all you really need to know.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

didn't they just make that a couple seasons ago, the one with the girl in the bear suit

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

everything about that project looks extremely ill-advised

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah if you thought we'd reached the peak of anime studios being spread thin making cheap LN adaptations, it's only just beginning

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

should go by episode count rather than title count for a more accurate picture, most shows used to be two+ cours and now few are

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

He was already on Project Awakening so maybe that got turned into this.

awakening was a naturalistic/photorealistic looking monster hunter game last time they showed it, doesn't seem possible for it to turn into that unless they restarted from scratch

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

drat, rip

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Feliday Melody posted:

I just got into anime recently. I watched "Ascendance of a bookworm" and "Land of the Lustrious" and it was some of the most beautiful stories and characters I have ever seen.

Can anyone recommend similar anime?

I don't really care for anime with drawn out of fantastic fight scenes.

Moribito is really good if you want another fantasy series

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, when did they take over the series?

Incidentally, is there still a Lupin manga of some kind or did that end a long time ago (and in either case, is said manga any good)?

TMS has made all of the lupin anime since the start

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Have they announced when season 2 is coming? I thought Bofuri was pretty fun.

they said 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I started watching Chio's School Road and it scratches that Asobi Asobase itch real good so far.

i remember the first few eps being good and funny but eventually it's got some bad skits that were excruciating to sit through

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trails in the sky 1 does have a complete story before the epilogue cliffhanger, it's not that weird a thing to never get around to continuing.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the director's done a rotoscoped anime before (aku no hana) so it might involve that again

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm still curious about what happened behind the scenes for a 2-cour anime spinoff of such a niche game to get greenlit. did they have a new game in development that got cancelled/shelved because of covid?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

fairly sure neither of those are netflix exclusive, jp netflix gets a lot more stuff. the netflix jail show next season should be Night Head

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sounds like something that will die in preproduction when more people look at the source material but what do i know

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

people used 'sus' online before among us existed (was it even in the actual game?)

i've never heard it spoken irl but i also don't interact with anyone younger than 25 so

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's also a pre-animated trailer so the show wont look exactly like that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Why those two specifically

idol shows sell the most of any genre by far if you're talking about blu-ray sales.

in general though, i don't think physical media sales matter as much anymore even for original anime? surely way more of the revenue comes from streaming licensing.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

zombieland saga is a cygames show and their stuff all sells absurd numbers. and even if it didn't, they have infinite gacha money to throw around making animes and execs who like doing that. it'll get a season 3 at some point though it might take a few years again with how busy mappa is

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

2nd season was fine but it didn't really have any new ideas to refresh the surprise factor of the first season, which was a big part of the show's initial appeal. the best episodes were the tae and yugiri ones that felt like they were 'missing' from season 1.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol i just watched this episode yesterday

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i thought it was embarrassingly bad at comedy and didn't like the sheer amount of internal monologue. tried one more time with the movie and still nope

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Does the animation in the fights get better as the show progresses? I remember the water effect being neat but otherwise the fights weren't terribly exciting. The animation felt competent but not great to me, like they wanted to have a relatively high baseline standard for animation but not enough time to do a whole lot of it, so the fights didn't actually feature a ton of fighting and while what was there always looked fine it never went out of it's way to look good

demon slayer never really has like drawn-out, kinetic fights, its just a lot of short bursts with cool effects animation. i don't think it's because ufotable is bad at animating action or didn't have time or anything, it's just the style of the series.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah its all characters they own the rights to + maidragon which they're working on currently so they can use i guess

nichijou and k-on and such are all contract work from 10+ years ago

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So, last time I posted here about a show I had been really enjoying (Haibane Renmei), it turned out to be a cult classic that everyone here knew except me.

Wondering if that's going to be the case now too. I am currently making my way through Fantastic Children, and it owns. I had initially been apprehensive because of the "kid's show" like artstyle, but it's unexpectedly emotionally mature show that deals with some harsh stuff. Is this also a famed classic I never knew about?

nah, that one's a lot more obscure than haibane renmei. there's lots of good 00s shows that never had a chance to become "canonized" though due to not having an accessible english release.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i love wars

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it was finished but they didn't release it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

samurai flamenco did not have samurai in it