Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
talk abbout all the HOTTEST stars here, the sexiest and the uggos, the up and comers and the old burnouts that are gonna implode under their own mass. stars are neat - and get this, you are made of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
* The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

, a gigantic nuclear furnace

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:flashfact: The sun is actually a pretty bright star.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Lawman 0 posted:

:flashfact: The sun is actually a pretty bright star.

i disagree, i looked directly at it and i can't see a loving thing

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

hbag posted:

wow modern day presidential

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hbag posted:

Maybe some binoculars would help?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Eta carinae is a good star, it's what happens when you ask "how big can a star get, really?" One of the things that happens is its atmosphere says gently caress you gravity, I do what I want :mad:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Every time I hear about Eta Carinae or Betelguese or one of those other fat old fucks I just want to know when its going to blow itself to hell.

Wanna see a supernova.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
it it true that there are some stars that are shooting tremendous amounts of energy out of their poles and the energy travels so far it is possible we could one day be wiped out by a star's laser beam?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flavius Aetass posted:

it it true that there are some stars that are shooting tremendous amounts of energy out of their poles

Not normal stars, you only get beaming like that from compact objects like neutron stars. That's what pulsars are: we're picking up the electromagnetic radiation being beamed out of the magnetic poles of neutron stars, and as they rotate we observe the pulses as the beam sweeps over us.

quote:

and the energy travels so far it is possible we could one day be wiped out by a star's laser beam?

You might be thinking of gamma-ray bursts, which aren't a steady-state phenomenon and instead come (probably) from the collapse of certain types of stars into a black hole, or the disruption of those stars by a black hole. If one occurred within several thousand light years of Earth, with the beam pointed to hit Earth, then you could get effects on life (not wiping it all out, though), but a GRB has never been observed in our galaxy and it's not even known if they're possible in the Milky Way's stellar population.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

the sun is a giant piece of poo poo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Ughh give me that Betelgeuse explosion baby I'm almost there

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Skeleton Ape posted:

Eta carinae is a good star, it's what happens when you ask "how big can a star get, really?" One of the things that happens is its atmosphere says gently caress you gravity, I do what I want :mad:

big balls, tiny dick

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Eta Carinae is cool. It's actually a binary star system, and what you're seeing is the Homunculus nebula surrounding the system. The nebula was created very recently (in astronomical terms) in the 19th century during an event called "the great eruption" where one of the stars in the system, a blue supergiant, underwent an almost-supernova. In 1843, Eta Carinae was the second brightest star in the night sky, and would stay that way for 18 years before fading from view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q68iis1p0

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What we call the "surface" of the sun is just where the mean free path of escaping photons is long enough to reach us. The mean free path is the average distance a photon can travel before being absorbed, so inside the sun they go a centimeter, get absorbed, get emitted, go 1 more cm, get absorbed, etc. Eventually this becomes long enough that the photon makes it to our eyes, and that part of the sun, where the density is just right to allow this, is what we call the surface.

The thing is that this mean free path is different for different wavelengths of light, and the sun emits a full spectrum. This means that the "surface" of the sun is at a different radius if you look at blue light compared to red light, compared to xrays, compared to radio waves.

You can make an argument that we live inside the sun depending on how you define its size.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

As the great scientists Smash Mouth once said, we might as well be walking on the sun.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
przybylski’s star is my favourite weirdo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybylski%27s_Star

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Base Emitter posted:

Every time I hear about Eta Carinae or Betelguese or one of those other fat old fucks I just want to know when its going to blow itself to hell.

Wanna see a supernova.

Actually, they are younglings.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

przybylski’s star is my favourite weirdo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybylski%27s_Star

some other weirdo and/or cool stars

Tabby's Star aka the alien megastructure star
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabby%27s_Star

SGR 1806-20 - a magnetar 50,000 light years away that had a starquake which "released more energy in one-tenth of a second than the Sun releases in 150,000 years." this ionized the earth's atmosphere and even blinded the Swift telescope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGR_1806%E2%88%9220

TYC 7037-89-1 - a triple binary star system (sextuple system) recently discovered by TESS

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1672/discovery-alert-first-six-star-system-where-all-six-stars-undergo-eclipses/

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
hot young stars

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Stars have a pretty narrow range of mass. They can be .1 solar masses up to about 300 solar masses, or 10^29 kg up to 10^32kg. Anything outside of this range is too small to fuse hydrogen or too big and it can't keep all the gas in.

Stars have an enormous range of sizes. This is because a star's radius depends on the mass to the 4th power, and a star can have a volume that is a billion times more than the sun. A little bit of mass makes a big difference for the radius of the star.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Not normal stars, you only get beaming like that from compact objects like neutron stars. That's what pulsars are: we're picking up the electromagnetic radiation being beamed out of the magnetic poles of neutron stars, and as they rotate we observe the pulses as the beam sweeps over us.

Pulsars are nuts. Something the size of a city spinning at 10s to 1000s of RPM, and it weighs as much as a star. Here's the Crab

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

George posted:

hot young stars

Nubile neighborhood nebulae just want to BLOW! click here to find the hotties in your local galactic cluster

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Aaaaa double post sorry

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

George posted:

hot young stars

speaking of
https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1364611587001241600

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fuckkkkkkkkkkkk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

VY Canis Majoris isn't even considered the largest known star anymore. According to Wikipedia, it's currently Stephenson 2-18, which is wider than the orbit of Saturn.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/galaxy_map/status/1364937825884524545

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

karmicknight posted:

* The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkGSV9WDMA

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

This video about star sizes is a little out of date, but still pretty cool.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I love how everyone thinks the sun is yellow, because like 99% of the time you see it is in the early morning/late afternoon when it's close to the horizon and the light is being scattered harder.

It's actually white:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the rare nightime sun pic

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Shwoo posted:

VY Canis Majoris isn't even considered the largest known star anymore. According to Wikipedia, it's currently Stephenson 2-18, which is wider than the orbit of Saturn.

oh whatttttt thanks! i didn't know this!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shwoo posted:

VY Canis Majoris also got refined down quite a bit in size. At one point it was estimated to be up to 2100 Solar Radii, but got downgraded to around 1400 with newer measurements.

Edit: Also I think it's still often trotted out as the largest stars because a lot of the others high on the list are much less refined size estimates.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brown dwarfs are the coolest thing in space and I love them but I can't really hype them up super well so I'll just leave it at "brown dwarfs get smaller as they gain mass" and that rules.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tulip posted:

Brown dwarfs are the coolest thing in space and I love them but I can't really hype them up super well so I'll just leave it at "brown dwarfs get smaller as they gain mass" and that rules.

Brown dwarves are neat because we keep confusing them with planets.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I mean, they do exist in a blurry spot between planets and stars so it makes sense that people would confuse them with planets a bit. But yea, I always found them really interesting too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I watched a lecture about brown dwarves but the only thing I remember is that they outnumber stars by a huge amount, and that smaller stars are orders of magnitude more common than larger stars. Also, the lecturer put in a photograph of a car that they drove off a small cliff while visiting the observatory where they did their research and that was pretty funny. Apparently they didn't know how to drive stick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
How do we know all this poo poo about stars and space in general? How do we know the composition of stars thousands of light years away? How do we know a starquake 50,000 years ago was the source of the ionosphere expanding in 2004?