Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sivart13 posted:

I appreciate the tremendous, inspiring work that has been put into this project but it's always going to be a little bit of a letdown that we did all this work to put the robot on another planet and it hasn't yet discovered a single mysterious obelisk or orb.

What we really need to do is secret mission to put the orb there, and then let someone else discover it stupid lazy aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Youtube replay of the site tour and Q&A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdlfdBiSzKw

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sivart13 posted:

I appreciate the tremendous, inspiring work that has been put into this project but it's always going to be a little bit of a letdown that we did all this work to put the robot on another planet and it hasn't yet discovered a single mysterious obelisk or orb.

Dude, it only just got there! Give it time.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
From pyf thread, nightsky on Mars:

https://i.imgur.com/h8FZYh7.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

adhuin posted:

That is pretty legit.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

adhuin posted:

drat that owns.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

What's the super bright orange light? Jupiter?

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Remalle posted:

What's the super bright orange light? Jupiter?

Pretty sure that's the center of the Milky Way.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Pretty sure that's the center of the Milky Way.

I'm pretty sure that's the Eye of Terror.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
that is freaking amazing

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I tried to match that image up with SpaceEngine and couldn't, but could that orange thing be a nebula? It doesn't seem to be a planet, based on where the planets currently are in Mars' sky, and you can't see the galactic centre from here because there's dust in the way.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 27, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I am so pumped for this moon car!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

adhuin posted:

Are you sure this is real; this looks nothing like previous night sky photography

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Potato Salad posted:

Are you sure this is real; this looks nothing like previous night sky photography

A lot of space pics are 'enhanced' to make them visually better.
I think many of them aren't even taken in color as we see them.

Colorized for your enjoyment.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Potato Salad posted:

It's very obviously stitched together from a Curiosity* selfie taken in sunlight (note the rover shadow) with a long-exposure shot of the Milky Way pasted in over the sky.

* Perseverance and Curiosity look pretty similar, but you can tell because there are tracks in the dust behind it, and Percy hasn't rolled yet.

e: Found the original image, it's from 2014:

Click through for article and the huge version of the image:
https://www.planetary.org/articles/06251314-curiosity-update-sol-670-first-marsiversary

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Powered Descent posted:

* Perseverance and Curiosity look pretty similar, but you can tell because there are tracks in the dust behind it, and Percy hasn't rolled yet.
Also just compare the wheels, Curiosity has zig zag tread patterns where Perseverance has straighter treads.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Powered Descent posted:

It's very obviously stitched together from a Curiosity* selfie taken in sunlight (note the rover shadow) with a long-exposure shot of the Milky Way pasted in over the sky.

Yeah, Perseverance said they had no plans to use the camera during the night. Temperature combined with low light means it would not be a benefit to use then.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just watched that landing video in the OP and :tviv: it brought a tear to my eye as hugely momentous things tend to do

ty manifisto

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1367252107561111555

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
has the fuckbot persevered yet

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
sorry the landing video got me all lubed up

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hype for the chopper imo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I hope they try a blimp next though I guess that might not work that well on mars?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly I hope they try a blimp next though I guess that might not work that well on mars?

it could work but it would not be the best solution for anything that wasn't supposed to drift wherever the wind took it. less "blimp" and more "weather balloon"

now titan or venus, those are a blimp's paradise. we could have full on floating cities on venus

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
It's a interesting concept. Sure, Mars has 40% of the gravity, but the atmosphere is only 1% (of the density, I'm guessing). That would actually make it relatively challenging to propel yourself on Mars using the atmosphere.

CBC News posted:

"Helicopters on Earth — as a reference — can fly, like 3,000 metres, 10,000 feet. And they don't usually fly that high, but it's about their capability," said Jim Reuter, NASA's associate administrator for space technology. "Flying ingenuity on Mars would be comparable to taking that full size helicopter and, instead of flying it 3,000 metres, flying it at 30,000 metres or 100,000 feet. And so Ingenuity has to be extremely light, relatively large [for its weight], and have fast rotor blades."

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Ingenuity did the thing.

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1384104815567855626?s=20

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They made some oxygen on mars today which is pretty neato

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Yeah, enough to last an astronaut ten minutes. But hey, proof-of-concept. What they REALLY need is to be able to manufacture something like ten tons of oxygen as fuel for the trip home.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

uh i think you mean as OXIDIZER?!?

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

uh i think you mean as OXIDIZER?!?

Yeah, you’re right, oxygen alone is not the fuel, it’s the oxidizer that reacts with hydrogen to produce thrust. It’s what I meant, but not what I said.

e: I found out that a by-product of the oxygen production is carbon monoxide; in fact, two molecules of CO for every molecule of O2. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be dumped into the atmosphere; it can be combined with hydrogen to make methane, which can in turn be used as a fuel.

DamnCanadian fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 25, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

interesting. where's the O go? does it get turned into water? or more O2?

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

The simplified reaction is 2 CO2 -> 2 CO + O2. So two carbon dioxide molecules yield two carbon monoxide molecules and one molecule of diatomic oxygen. The diatomic oxygen is captured and the carbon monoxide (for this proof-of-concept anyway) is returned to the atmosphere. Of course, for large-scale production, you don’t want to be dumping huge quantities of carbon monoxide back into Mars’ atmosphere.

e: sorry, just realized you were talking about the leftover oxygen molecule from converting CO to CH4. I’ll have to look into that some more, but I did find that under certain conditions, you can combine a carbon monoxide molecule (CO) and two diatomic hydrogen molecules (2 H2) to make one molecule of methanol (CH3OH), which can also be used as a fuel.

DamnCanadian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DamnCanadian posted:

The simplified reaction is 2 CO2 -> 2 CO + O2. So two carbon dioxide molecules yield two carbon monoxide molecules and one molecule of diatomic oxygen. The diatomic oxygen is captured and the carbon monoxide (for this proof-of-concept anyway) is returned to the atmosphere. Of course, for large-scale production, you don’t want to be dumping huge quantities of carbon monoxide back into Mars’ atmosphere.

e: sorry, just realized you were talking about the leftover oxygen molecule from converting CO to CH4. I’ll have to look into that some more, but I did find that under certain conditions, you can combine a carbon monoxide molecule (CO) and two diatomic hydrogen molecules (2 H2) to make one molecule of methanol (CH3OH), which can also be used as a fuel.

It'd probably be more straightforward to do a straight Sabatier reaction, using the carbon dioxide you sucked in from the Martian atmosphere and some hydrogen that you either brought with you or electrolyzed out of Martian ice: CO2 + 4H2 -> CH4 + 4H2O. Then electrolyze the water you get from it, save the O2 and put the hydrogen back in the tank for another go at making methane. At the end, you have methane and oxygen, ready to power a rocket engine. (This is the basis of the fuel-generation scheme used by the Mars Direct plan.)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

adhuin posted:

holy smokes. is that what our sky used to look like? I've never seen a sky like that even in north north north ontario

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Walrus posted:

holy smokes. is that what our sky used to look like? I've never seen a sky like that even in north north north ontario

Our atmosphere is much thicker so it probably didn't look like that even before electricity. You can probably get close to that in some really dark and dry places though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that isn't too far off from what i remember the sky looking like in the high rockies, away from towns. and yeah it was dry as hell most of the time. i imagine it's even more brilliant in even higher, drier places like the himalayas.

e: part of it might just be the nature of a camera vs naked eye; that's spot-on what a 30-sec exposure of the sky looked like even in town

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

The Walrus posted:

From up thread.

Powered Descent posted:

e: Found the original image, it's from 2014:

Click through for article and the huge version of the image:
https://www.planetary.org/articles/06251314-curiosity-update-sol-670-first-marsiversary

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

now titan or venus, those are a blimp's paradise. we could have full on floating cities on venus

we spending most or probes
living in the blimpers' paradise

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are we gonna use this thread to talk about chinas rover too?
Because I want to congratulate them on a job well done. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Lawman 0 posted:

Are we gonna use this thread to talk about chinas rover too?
I truly had not heard about this other than possibly reading it was going to happen on Wikipedia some months ago

All my googley news wants to tell me about is Belarus and a new AppleTV or some poo poo. Get it together google, there's another big truck on mars